The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

Shame we could not get that khabib and GSP fight, especially considering how on board GSP was with it.

Corporate people gotta mess up what should be easy to set up. gsp saying they’d rather him not fight again than not fight multiple times.

OG retired today..

GSP won me money on my first bet on MMA against BJ..

George St. Pierre.. Greatest welterweight champion of all time.. (IMO)

MMA really turning the next chapter in terms of maturity of the sport. The OGs are either retired or washed, and the new crop of talent are so well rounded. Rogan put it best on his podcast, people used to specialize in something, whether that be wrestling, bjj or striking etc. kids now are growing up specializing in the sport of MMA.

I remember Rory McDonald coming up and them talking about him training all the different aspects of MMA at an early age. Also guys like TWood, Gastelum and Cejudo started with strong wrestling bases and have rounded out the rest of their games nicely.

GSP then JBJ as far as Goat MMA fighters. I’m talking about how fight.

GSP didn’t have a wrestling background. His jab was crisp. We know he can kick. Maybe his BJJ never got tested a lot. But just think about the wave of opponents during his championship run. Versatile. Yes, he exploited his ground game and GnP to win fights in a yawnish manner but that was after he lost to Sera and adopted a safe style.

JBJ out wrestled DC (dubiously). His sub game is good. His striking game is versatile...elbows, kicks (spin, high, push, the cheap knee kick, etc). Maybe he doesn’t have knockout punch power but that boy good.

I would’ve said Cain too...but...the Werdum loss, time off and Francis loss. Just disappointing.

Odds finally dropped for the rest of the March 2nd card fights.

Cody -175 and Johnny Walker -160

Man I’m about to parlay those 2 and go big. They seem too low to me. Cody is still a tier above everyone else and losing to TJ doesn’t diminish that he knocked everyone else right away.

Tbh idk much about Walker’s opponent but I do know Walker’s got next and I don’t think they’d put him in a fight less than a month later if they didn’t think he had a good chance at winning with how much potential he has to be a money maker in a weak division.

Kinda curious where Tony goes from here.

I'm assuming he told the UFC to go **** themselves but now he's going to end up getting skipped.

Unless they Colby the winner of Max/Dustin and make Tony/Khabib later this year, :lol:

I'm happy for "Diamond," he truly deserves this fight for an interim belt and payday. On paper, I don't like this matchup for Poirier though. His striking has improved leaps and bounds, of course. We saw that in the two Eddie fights, plus against "Showtime" and Gaethje. But I've mentioned this before and it still holds true, Dustin still looks stiff and robotic when striking. The way "Blessed" looked again Ortega, man. I'm convinced on his best day, he'll walk down just about anybody standing. I'd usually mention the weight jump from FW to LW, but Max is already big for 145. Plus tall and lanky. "Diamond" does have the reach advantage working for him, FWIW. Don't get me wrong, I'll be rooting for Poirier, as he's one of my favorites at 155 but wouldn't be shocking to see Holloway finish Dustin in the middle rounds.

Edit:
Curious about Tony's reasons for turning down the fight. "El Cucuy" vs. "Blessed" would be fuego, fireworks in the stand-up. I actually like Ferguson's chances vs. Max better than Poirier's, much as it pains me to speak the truth.

Odds finally dropped for the rest of the March 2nd card fights.

Cody -175 and Johnny Walker -160

Man I’m about to parlay those 2 and go big. They seem too low to me. Cody is still a tier above everyone else and losing to TJ doesn’t diminish that he knocked everyone else right away.

Tbh idk much about Walker’s opponent but I do know Walker’s got next and I don’t think they’d put him in a fight less than a month later if they didn’t think he had a good chance at winning with how much potential he has to be a money maker in a weak division.
Gonna keep it trill, my man. Misha Cirkunov and Pedro Munhoz are both very live 'dogs. Misha is a very high-level grappler for 205. If, and this is a very big if, Cirkunov can get Johnny Walker to the ground, it's a wrap. I actually wanted to see Misha fight OSP, as originally scheduled. Walker is rising through the LHW ranks and rightfully so with the last two impressive finishes, but he's fighting on short notice and was subbed a few years back in Curitiba. In the end, I think you're right, Walker finishes Misha by KO in R1.

Don't sleep on Pedro Munhoz either. Paulista is a beast. Never been finished. Only lost narrow decisions to Dodson and Jimmie Rivera, plus another decision L at the hands of Assuncao. BJJ black belt. Cody has a wrestling base but Munhoz's grappling is better. This is coming from a staunch Garbrandt proponent. I hit @DeadsetAce and Vincent Van Goat Vincent Van Goat with countless PMs before he won the belt. I still believe in Cody, T.J. just has his number stylistically at BW. You kinda wonder where Garbrandt's confidence is too, coming off back-to-back losses against Dillashaw. Just had a kid with his wife also. All these small things could play a decisive factor. I'm going against you on this one, I've got Munhoz by guillotine in R2.

Edit:
Almost forgot I'm hosting 235 at the crib. We usually scoop tons of beer and order wings, pizza, fries, etc. Looking forward to this card for sure.

Tony has an inaccurate view of his self worth.

Rogan has said it many a fight companion... hes a big deal to eddie and that world but to casuals hes just another guy. not a draw at all. if he wants big paydays he HAS to get the belt so turning down interim fights considering his past seems silly.

theres enough players in that division hell get another shot but man almost feels like he thinks he cant beat Max right now (hes probably right ha)

Tony is an absolute monster but he’s shown time and time again he’s susceptible to getting dropped. I don’t think he would be able to handle Max tbh

If I was a casual fan I’d have no clue on who has the belts and which is real or holding a interm belt. At least 3 divisions that nobody knows what’s going on. What’s going on with Flyweights??? Lightweight champ khabib only fights once a year. Middleweight goin for another interm belt w rob hurt again. And light heavyweight/heavyweight a mess w Cormier being hurt and trying to call his shots. Really is hard to watch and try and understand any ranking systems. Need to do away with them because they obviously don’t mean ****.

I definitely wouldn’t say do away with belts or rankings, but the ****ery with the interim belts is no good.

Also champs that win a belt on a one off and don’t defend, or rarely fight, as well as seemingly deserving guys (like Tony) getting screwed when they already won an interim and are pretty clearly the #1 contender, has definitely diminished the importance of the belts.

At this stage it seems like it’s about making fights that’ll draw, and then they’ll just try to shoehorn a belt in there somehow

Back
Top Bottom