The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Islam vs Dustin on TONIGHT

This just got interesting
Why?

Is he going to fight a boxer or total wrestler in MMA lol?

Edit: It looks like they signed him to generate interest/viewership for their upcoming PPV model. Smart move. He gets ownership in the company. And 50% PPV revenue split (which is wild).

Last edited:
Not a chance.

It would be the lead story on every major ESPN show. If for no other reason than the public would expect it.

…as opposed to story number 27 on the ESPN website.
I think the main difference with the UFC coverage is that Dana is the UFC in some regard. Whether that's right to assume or not...I'm not sure but they might be more tactful with it because of that. I can picture another NFL commissioner if some scandal came about. It's pretty hard to imagine the UFC with another president.

That’s the weird thing. How do we know the organization wouldn’t be better run?

Not saying Dana isn’t the reason they are where they are up to the sale. But, we all know the organization hasn't really pushed the needle since 2016.

ESPN is wilding with that soft handed comment on First Take.

I just don’t think many people outside of the diehard care that much about the UFC… They have an imagine in their mind and it’s people that sound like Sean Strickland, look like Kimbo and act like War Machine so they aren’t shocked when the face of the org slaps his wife… Almost status quo to my friends that don’t follow the sport. 🤷‍♂️

I just don’t think many people outside of the diehard care that much about the UFC… They have an imagine in their mind and it’s people that sound like Sean Strickland, look like Kimbo and act like War Machine so they aren’t shocked when the face of the org slaps his wife… Almost status quo to my friends that don’t follow the sport. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah I’ve said this a few times in the thread - end of the day ESPN ain’t running it because it ain’t mass media news (and their relationship with him)

Its wild how the Dana White isht is a non story 🤦🏾‍♂️. Pathetic
I was listening to the Ringer MMA podcast. Like everyone has said, no one is covering this carny industry. In the last month:

Insider Gambling (it probably doesn’t end with Krause)
Phil Baroni arrest and murder accusations
Dana White DV
Fighters flying out to visit a Oligarch (an ethical code of conduct)
Stephan Bonnar (and why there isn’t support for fighters post career)

Even if they did cover it, there would be little reaction to it

It’s been this way since the beginning

There’s been tv espn coverage of Jon Jones doing horrible things and the reaction was minimal

You guys know better than to expect any different. Can’t put this sport on the same level as the others and expect the same level of standards

Even if they did cover it, there would be little reaction to it

It’s been this way since the beginning

There’s been tv espn coverage of Jon Jones doing horrible things and the reaction was minimal

You guys know better than to expect any different. Can’t put this sport on the same level as the others and expect the same level of standards
I agree with you.

It’s just disappointing.

And honestly, it’s always going to come to the bottom line. Dana brought the dollars.

Even Vince McMahon coming back after a short cancellation.

I think the concerning thing as a legitimate sport, will it really ever attract top tier prospects or just those who battle from the trenches (or guys from other sports who are trying to remain pros and cross over)?

Other leagues have pensions. Do a better job of protecting players. Greater revenue split.

And we know the gambling thing doesn’t end with Krause.

my bottom line is entertainment. Anytime something like this happens I’ll just say it’s combat sports (same goes for boxing. Gervonta is fighting tomorrow).

Last edited:
It was very telling listening to the Luke Thomas and Ariel Helwani appearances on Le Batard's Pod and how they bring up no one closely attached to the UFC wants to address these hot topic issues and is okay with sweeping them under the rug unless they are being investigated like the James Krause situation. Even with the Krause situation Dana got mad when he was asked about it in a recent media session. It's good we have folks like Luke and Ariel but it's a slap in the face when Dana bashes them as "scumbag MMA media" when they bring a good amount of attention to MMA/UFC.

With the timing of Dana's video coming out it's also very interesting that Jake Paul just signed with the PFL and cut a promo. Though we know Paul is looking out for his best interests obviously I just hope the PFL splitting revenues with fighters is actually going to happen and they can put on some decent PPV that will need to be headlined by him or other big names not currently part of PFL.

If you had not seen the clip of Dana White slapping his wife and merely watched the First Take duo talk around the facts of the story, you might conclude that White was in fact the victim here. Smith and Qerim are openly aggrieved with having to even discuss the incident at all, each sighing through rueful monologues about what a good man Dana White is and, despite Smith’s admission that domestic violence is bad, what a bummer it is to have to be talking about this at all.
L O L. Holy backhanded criticisms, Batman.

When it has been addressed by White-approved MMA insiders, as it most notably was in Kevin Iole’s odd column for Yahoo Sports, the coverage has still been bizarrely hagiographic, with Iole spending most of his time praising Dana White for “all the good [he] has done in this world” and chalking White slapping his wife up to the stresses of White being a workaholic.
Honestly, only Luke Thomas, Brian Campbell, Ariel, and MMAfighting have covered it MMA press wise. Hopefully, this doesn’t affect Jose Young being able to attend live events.

David Cone, the former Cy Young Award winner and five-time World Series champion, called the situation a “P.R. nightmare.” Cone, the analyst on ESPN’s flagship “Sunday Night Baseball” broadcast, explained why this week on his “Toeing the Slab” podcast.
🤔

“On the pitching side, he’s a savant. He was ahead of the curve in terms of analytics, in terms of how to train,” Cone said. “On the off-the-field stuff and what allegedly happened, that is poison right now. I don’t know how you get past that.”
👀

Wild. Tale of two cities. A guy accused of DV in MLB got suspended for more than a season. Upon completing his suspension, his team lets him go. An analyst at ESPN is allowed to comment.

I’ve seen the comments which imply racism. Personally, I think it’s more a case of classism. A Jerry Jones or Dana White are hands off when it comes to criticism. Regular players, both white and black can still get it (minus Brett Favre).

But, hey, we get another Dana food testing video.

They decided to give him baloney pie to be a metaphor to the baloney the audience is eating.

Back
Top Bottom