The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Islam vs Dustin on TONIGHT

i don't think he's getting 20 either way... those are superstar numbers.
I think it'll be a huge event, it sells itself having the best MMA fighter who people still consider the besting the world, who never lost to lose his belt vs the top boxer in the world. But yeah no way he stands a chance in a boxing match against Fury, Wilder or Joshua........but get that bag

I think it'll be a huge event, it sells itself having the best MMA fighter who people still consider the besting the world, who never lost to lose his belt vs the top boxer in the world. But yeah no way he stands a chance in a boxing match against Fury, Wilder or Joshua........but get that bag
I agree that it still has the potential to sell well, won't be like May-Mac but an event regardless. You have the #1 MMA HW in the world and combine that with a top boxing HW and that would do numbers. As there isn't really a big name HW MMA fighter in other orgs I think Francis is best trying to get that boxing match while he still can and then figuring out the MMA side of things whether its PFL, Bellator/Rizin or elsewhere. Also, as crazy as it sounds I still see an outside possibility he returns to the UFC down the line, especially if he K.O's the next few guys he faces.

100% can't blame Francis for the walk away. Certain things should be a given such as insurance for active fighters on your roster. I'd even make the argument that after a certain length of career, they should be given health insurance for life. These men and women put it on the line, they should be looked out for when they step away from the limelight. I'm aware that the NFL and Boxing don't offer it either and shame on them as well.

I think it is insane that the UFC does not provide health insurance to their fighters. Is it cause the premium would be insane for the UFC cause the fighters would be using it left and right?
I thought the same thing and insurance is a pain for everyone! Give these guys a break on insurance because I can only imagine the rates for an athlete in a combat sport. Has to be brutal.

I thought the same thing and insurance is a pain for everyone! Give these guys a break on insurance because I can only imagine the rates for an athlete in a combat sport. Has to be brutal.
I work in insurance and for the lines I write, there are things we just don't cover cause the company I work for would not be profitable. As much as insurance is there to "help you", it is still a business by the end of it. Making money only works if say some of the fighters never use their insurance or the premiums are so high that they are able to make their money back in the long run. That is why auto insurance is able to be so cheap at times cause even though there are tons of accidents that happen, it's the millions of other people with no accidents that is essentially just free money for the company.

In a perfect work, the UFC should just pay the fighters medical bills out of pocket. It makes more sense to do that than pay the fighters more money cause at least paying for their medical is like an investment so they can fight on another card and then make the UFC more money. Or they can not pay for it and just get a rookie fighter to take their place.

I work in insurance and for the lines I write, there are things we just don't cover cause the company I work for would not be profitable. As much as insurance is there to "help you", it is still a business by the end of it. Making money only works if say some of the fighters never use their insurance or the premiums are so high that they are able to make their money back in the long run. That is why auto insurance is able to be so cheap at times cause even though there are tons of accidents that happen, it's the millions of other people with no accidents that is essentially just free money for the company.

In a perfect work, the UFC should just pay the fighters medical bills out of pocket. It makes more sense to do that than pay the fighters more money cause at least paying for their medical is like an investment so they can fight on another card and then make the UFC more money. Or they can not pay for it and just get a rookie fighter to take their place.
Yes this was an interesting test for the ufc

I feel like they could have offered special treatment for certain fighters in regards to medical costs

Looks like same ole ufc

Francis definitely brought up great points (along with Heelwani).

Sadly, it’s going to take more major fighters leaving or speaking out to change it. I think the main issue is the independent contractor thing and the diabolical contracts. On one hand, the fighters are actual employees due to all the ridiculous stipulations. So they should be able to buy into health insurance. They probably should at least try to set up regional PIs.

On the other hand, Endeavor has taken up this content approach with the UFC so that 10 and 10 is like a ishy budget Netflix movie. They’re not changing because there’s no incentive (ESPN contract). No incentive to promote/push fighters. No incentive to pursue 1 million PPV buys anymore.

Francis definitely brought up great points (along with Heelwani).

Sadly, it’s going to take more major fighters leaving or speaking out to change it. I think the main issue is the independent contractor thing and the diabolical contracts. On one hand, the fighters are actual employees due to all the ridiculous stipulations. So they should be able to buy into health insurance. They probably should at least try to set up regional PIs.

On the other hand, Endeavor has taken up this content approach with the UFC so that 10 and 10 is like a ishy budget Netflix movie. They’re not changing because there’s no incentive (ESPN contract). No incentive to promote/push fighters. No incentive to pursue 1 million PPV buys anymore.
It really appears this won't change anything even though the UFC clearly doesn't have the best HW now, if Gane beats JJ this makes the division look that much worse as Francis beat Gane when he was clearly injured.

Also, I don't doubt the UFC continues to use the Contender Series as its feeder system and give these new guys crap contracts. Suga Sean is the rare case of a guy becoming a star and negotiating a higher salary than the original 10/10 or whatever they were giving him.

I had to google it but WWE wrestlers also don't have medical as well. But I am sure they get paid way more than UFC fighters. In an article I read, it said the fighters should just use their spouse's insurance as a way to get around this. Can you imagine that is sort of the solution to these guys problem?! I am sure a lot of fighters that do well don't let their spouse's work.

Can’t take a sport serious when the only way to have health insurance is through your spouse and not your own employer

I don’t think any of us know what the contract/pay for a WWE NXT prospect is (if you do plz share).

But the upside for merchandise and pay is higher for a WWE wrestler. Obviously, that’s a very physically demanding profession. Mortality rates are crazy.

I remember doing physical therapy and John Cena was a patient with my PT. He had lambos and other fancy cars. This was 2013, you could tell he had bread.

But it’s never a fair comparison to professional wrestling as that’s a cut throat industry.

To be fair, WWE wrestlers are usually on the road most of the year as well.

Anyway, I hate the comparison. End of the day I just want to see these fighters paid more as the company becomes bigger

I think majority of wwe wrestlers on the main roster make 6 figures a year.

I saw this in an article:

The WWE pays their talent well when they hit a main roster. I believe once you hit the main roster you make around $30,000 a month as a male talent, possibly more depending on the talent. Women are said to make a little less monthly. Over time that money increases if you are really good.

For all of you who are not mathematicians, $30,000 translates into $360,000 a year, which is a nice payday. The top talent earns far more than that, up in the millions. Randy Orton, Triple H, and John Cena make about $5 million or so. And other talent such as The Undertaker, Chris Jericho, and others also get a nice payday.

Love izzy but this dude be doing the corniest ****

Also I’m really ****ing hyped for the Moreno and tixiera fights this Saturday

This card gonna be LIT LIT 🔥

I saw this in an article:
They also can make money off their merchandise, which people actually do buy (unlike the BS UFC be trying to peddle).

In an inflation market, UFC hasn’t bumped the “minimum wage” or bonuses. The only plus for UFC over WWE is the fighters can do only fans or social media (and keep the money from it).

This is it

I got Yan. It definitely puts his name back in the mix.

Has there been any update on if O’Malley is fighting Chito or CCC?

Has there been any update on if O’Malley is fighting Chito or CCC?
Not Chito but Aljo did suggest Cejudo-Suga for the UFC 285 card (Jones-Gane headliner). I also wouldn't mind that fight if they can't pull Chito out of his Sandhagen scrap.

Gotta assume they’re throwing nunes and shevchenko on that March card so it sets up timeline perfect for international fight week right?

Back
Top Bottom