The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Islam vs Dustin on TONIGHT

Only excited for KKF/Kape and a showcase fight for Izzy. I think he gets Strickland out of there. Crazy this is Izzys 11th straight title fight.. if he didn't get beat by Alex he really could've had a chance of beating Silvas title defense record.

Isn't a surprise but you clearly see UFC's business model now in relation to the ESPN deal. They don't care who's "UFC quality" anymore, anyone can fight there now :rofl: :sick::sick::sick::sick:
Mookie never shied from the truth. I miss Bloody Elbow (even though its a substack now). Like the Co-Main Event podcast says, we're in the JSF (Just Some Fights) era.

Imagine watching the NBA and it was 55% G-League folks? If Bellator goes away...the quality of professional MMA is going to decline even more as the UFC pumps out weekly cards.

I, personally, preferred the old Fox era. Just higher quality cards and more appreciation.
Only excited for KKF/Kape and a showcase fight for Izzy. I think he gets Strickland out of there. Crazy this is Izzys 11th straight title fight.. if he didn't get beat by Alex he really could've had a chance of beating Silvas title defense record.
Imagine if DeSean upsets Izzy. But I don't see how Sean wins. Izzy's striking is so much better. And I've never seen a robust take down game from Sean (Or his dumb self would have used it to beat Alex).

Mookie never shied from the truth. I miss Bloody Elbow (even though its a substack now). Like the Co-Main Event podcast says, we're in the JSF (Just Some Fights) era.

Imagine watching the NBA and it was 55% G-League folks? If Bellator goes away...the quality of professional MMA is going to decline even more as the UFC pumps out weekly cards.

I, personally, preferred the old Fox era. Just higher quality cards and more appreciation.

Imagine if DeSean upsets Izzy. But I don't see how Sean wins. Izzy's striking is so much better. And I've never seen a robust take down game from Sean (Or his dumb self would have used it to beat Alex).

It’s a double edged sword

Pay sucks still but I feel like with espn the pay has increased at least somewhat

If they never expanded like this then maybe the pay never increases

The quality of cards goes way down but we still get great fights a majority of the time

I’m not defending the ufc just saying

I know. Dana's a big boy, he can defend himself. I don't think pay has improved...at all. Fighters probably take up less of the operating budget thanks to Ronda and other big names retiring. I think, because there is no labor agreement/unions, the fighters have no way to fight for a bigger piece of the pie as the "sport" gets bigger. There isn't any revenue sharing. But I'm sure we'd just be beating a dead horse by discussing it. Hopefully, DeSean Strickland is getting a decent bag for taking that championship fight.

$10K/$10K is criminal. The win bonus is criminal. But I hope with more globalization...maybe $20K is alluring to folks in China, Africa, Mexico, etc.

Ehh, I mean kevin hoLLand and other guys in that tier are making more than what they would have pre espn

I don’t think that’s a reach

But yeah there’s still the slew of contender series 10/10 guys they’re trucking in

UFC is sneaky. Big name fighters are getting paid at top rates. What they do now is put on more shows with 10k fighters and the big names fight less often. This keeps the big names from complaining for more/leaving and the guys that shouldn’t be there are just happy to be UFC.

Last edited:
UFC is sneaky. Big name fighters are getting paid at top rates. What they do now is put on more shows with 10k fighters and the big names fight less often. This Kees the big names from complaining for more and the guys that shouldn’t be there are just happy to be UFC.
They are essentially using DWCS as a play in fight for these guys to take those 10k-12k show deals. If fighters are willing to accept that for at least 3 fights then I don't see much changing anytime soon.

Also, as I heard the TUF fight between Jason Knight and Kurt was a good scrap I checked it out last night. It was a banger but I wonder how much these guys got compensated for coming on the show. I'd guess only between 25-50k when a fight like that would have netted them near 100k if it was on a UFC Apex card.

Wasn't the TUF winner given a $100K contract?

And you know the top two fighters are possibly UFC quality (if it weren't a weird TUF where they go to other countries).

It is a 6 figure contract with the possibility of making 300k.... if they go 9-0 lol. I know this article is referencing how the TUF winner contract used to be but I'm guessing it's not much more lucrative these days. I know many winners over the years expressed their displeasure in the contract and how the show markets it as some life changing money when that's clearly not the case.

"
The winners of the first three seasons of The Ultimate Fighter competition, and certain runners-up depending on their performance in their competition finals, receive the touted "six-figure" contract to fight in the UFC. These contracts are specifically three-year contracts with a guaranteed first year.[27] Each year consists of three fights, the first year's purse per fight consists of $12,000 guaranteed with a $12,000 win bonus (a maximum of $24,000 per fight). The second year's purse per fight is $16,000 with a $16,000 win bonus (a maximum of $32,000 per fight) and the third year's purse per fight is at $22,000 with a $22,000 win bonus (a maximum of $44,000 per fight).[27]

A TUF winner who goes 9–0 can earn $300,000 total on the contract, but only $150,000 is guaranteed for all three years if nine fights are fought.[27] Some TUF competitors who did not win the series were also offered UFC contracts, although not on as attractive terms. "

This is via Wikipedia so also take that with a grain of salt.

Suga knows if he gets dominated by Aljo his brand takes a huge hit. If Aljo gets it to the mat this one is a wrap.

**** it, let Garry fill in for Gastelum and fight Rokhmonov as the co main of the Grasso/Shev card. Both guys are young and skilled enough to be able to recover from a loss against each other. Wouldn't hurt their stock at all imo.

**** it, let Garry fill in for Gastelum and fight Rokhmonov as the co main of the Grasso/Shev card. Both guys are young and skilled enough to be able to recover from a loss against each other. Wouldn't hurt their stock at all imo.
Why you wanna do Garry like that?! Actually I wouldn't mind that fight but I highly doubt it's made at this point in both careers.

garry is no where near shavkat's level, even wonderboy may be too much for garry

Ehh, I mean kevin hoLLand and other guys in that tier are making more than what they would have pre espn

I don’t think that’s a reach

But yeah there’s still the slew of contender series 10/10 guys they’re trucking in
The fact that fighters are still getting on the mic begging Dana for “50 Gs baby!” and talking about how it’ll be life changing money, tells you everything you need to know about how well UFC fighters, even main card fighters, are paid these days.

…it’s embarrassing.

Why you wanna do Garry like that?! Actually I wouldn't mind that fight but I highly doubt it's made at this point in both careers.
I usually hate putting up 2 real contenders against each other but it's still early in their careers where they can bounce back quick.

I also hate that they're trying to rebook Kelvin. I have 0 faith that he can make weight or stay healthy.

garry is no where near shavkat's level, even wonderboy may be too much for garry
I don't think he is either but what he showed in the DRod fight is exactly what you want to see. He's making big improvements as the level of competition drastically raised. While I still think Shavkat is a future champ, he did show some defensive vulnerability In the Neal fight.

I think Garry beats WB at this point of their careers.

Back
Top Bottom