The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- Cannonier, Imavov, Reyes, Rosas on NOW

all the top guys at lw are 5'9+ though, rda, eddie, benson, khabib, cowboy, gil, hell i just read fergunson is 6'0

those 3 are definitely lanky though

Pretty sure whatever the rest of those guys are, Nate and Cowboy are at least one or two inches taller. But yeah I don't think with Pettis it's as much of a height thing as it is a strength and wrestling technique thing. He has no wrestling background, and supposedly he also cuts very little weight to make 155, so he's almost guaranteed to get outmuscled by some of these other guys. He's got alot of work to do man, I really think he should go the Conor route and step down to 145 and fight smaller guys while he works on his wrestling. I doubt he will though because he's had success at 155 and was the champ, he might see it as taking a step back, but I think it'd be great for his career.

"El Cucuy" vs. Eddie would be so lit. Stand-up war, both have above-average wrestling. Ferguson mixing in crazy, wild sub attempts.

Here's the catch-22 for Alvarez's career in the UFC: He bangs in his debut with Cowboy, stuns/rocks Cerrone early but loses. Narrow fight with Gil in which his eye/vision were badly affected, I scored it live 29-28 for Melendez. My point being Alvarez is a natural brawler, that raw Philly mentality which is pleasing to the crowd. He has really good boxing but when it comes to stand-up defense, gets clipped clean a lot. Too often for my taste in terms of damage accrued. Eddie gets wise, surprisingly, against Pettis by using superior wrestling to control "Showtime's" stand-up danger. Fans boo and widespread unhappiness accumulates regarding his performance. Unnaturally fighting cautiously and stressing his wrestling to negate his opponents' strengths is actually moving Alvarez closer to a title shot but ultimately losing non-Philly supporters in the process.

Unfortunately I don't think Eddie has a choice. Dude was way more fun to watch before but he just gets clipped and rocked too much to be standing and trading with the top strikers at 155. If he fought dudes like Bendo or Khabib he could probably go back to just using his wrestling defensively, but I think he learned his lesson dealing with Gil and Cerrone. I'm willing to bet if he fights Ferguson we're gonna see more of a wrestling based gameplan.

Last edited:
Think the Pettis move to 145 is almost no doubt. He will still have issues with take down defense but better than 155 for him

The UFC has got to run tj/Cruz back to me that's the only way a former champ gets a immediate rematch

Thay was a really good card Sunday along that and football was a great Sunday

The UFC has got to run tj/Cruz back to me that's the only way a former champ gets a immediate rematch

Thay was a really good card Sunday along that and football was a great Sunday

Nah man, they gotta stop making this a regular thing

You lose? Back of the line

The only problem is with Cruz's fragile health you don't know how many fights you can get out of him.

I hope you just worded the bolded statement poorly, because that's one of the most erroneous things I've read in this thread. Up there with Eddie not having a solid chin.

Anthony Pettis is extremely versatile with his striking. That is not even up for conversation. Plethora of athletic strikes in his toolbox.

yeah you right, ill eat that.

He is extremely versatile with his kicks.

Last edited:
Ludwig is on with Ariel right now, thank God Ariel asked him about attacking Cruz' legs more. Ludwig said for sure that would have been a good idea 
laugh.gif
 I was literally yelling for TJ to go at his legs when Cruz got wobbled. How does TJ and Ludwig both not make that adjustment... it was round 4, attack his legs and tire him out for round 5

Last edited:
A few points I wanted to come in and make (my opinions on the TJ - Cruz fight)

1.) TJ seemed a bit slow.. not sure if this is due to the speed of Cruz's ridiculous movements or if he legitimately was slower than the Barao fights.
2.) TJ going for the head kicks all day convinced me that he's turned into a Ludwig puppet. Ludwig wanted him to land the home run kick so he could say "Look at what my Muay Thai does!" but rather, he failed miserably and it most likely costed him the fight. It's not TJ's fault, as he's listening to his trainer like he should, but after hearing Faber speak on the whole "Ludwig situation", I see Duane as a different person. (One with more "self-interests", rather than majority interest in his fighters)
3.) TJ seemed like he lacked a bit of conditioning in this fight, he looked fresh in the Barao rounds but was gassed in R3-R5.
4.) If TJ had spent the same amount of effort on his LEG KICKS as much as he tried for HEAD KICKS, that fight would have been entirely different starting into the 3rd round.

I don't know why no fighters have pieced this together about Cruz yet.. you chop down the tree and take away his movement. All these fighters are trying to out-strike him and catch him with a good punch. With his style of fighting, he'll most likely swing / move his body into your leg kicks on 1/3 of the kicks you throw anyways. 2x the damage with the opposite movements colliding. Plus, with his injuries and surgeries, the dude is a hard leg kick away from going on another hiatus.

If you're wondering why all my points refer to TJ, I'm a fan of his and a huge hater of Dominick. Disappointed at the gameplan they chose for this fight, he could have won that if it wasn't for Ludwigs idiotic approach with head kicks on a fighter with insane movements like Cruz. :smh:

Last edited:
BJ Penn on now, seems like he's all in. He said he told Jackson to keep it 100 and that if he doesn't belong that Jackson needs to tell him

I question what the arrangement is between Penn and Jackson. In terms of if BJ is paying him and how much 

BJ saying he is at 158 pounds right now

Last edited:
Florian should come out of retirement to get washed by BJ again since he ain't getting that Fox money no more

He's only suspended though, not sure if they would fire him. They'll keep him around so the others can make fun of him.

Sit down BJ Favre.

Actually, that's not even fair to Favre because he could actually play.

This dude BJ has 1 win in his last 7 fights.

Go away, bro.

Back
Top Bottom