The MMA Thread: DON'T ASK 4 STREAMS & NO GIFS- UFC 300 ON NOW

So proud Usman is the first African born UFC champ and bruh is Nigerian :pimp:

Great card. Much respect for smith for not taking the DQ. Smith mentioned he couldn’t go forward due to the range of Arsenal John was inflicting on him.

I want to see walker against Jones after walker wins a few more fights.

Tyron Woodley let me down tonight. He's been a great WW champion with four successful title defenses. Against all odds, without support or real push from the UFC and Dana White. Although I've heard a lot of hyperbole in the other direction. No one, Woodley included, has come close to scratching GSP's legacy at 170. From the onset, T-Wood didn't look right today. He appeared flat. His body language was deflated. Anemic energy. Downright dejected. This is all speculation. Was it delayed effects of the weight cut? Woodley cuts from 205, which is kinda crazy. 35-pound cut to defend his WW crown. Is there personal stuff going on, with family perhaps? Married with four children. You never really know what's going on in the background. Bad case of the flu on fight night? Didn't seem all there from an emotional or mental standpoint.

I'm ready for people to say I'm just making excuses for T-Wood. Here's why I'm not. I can handle one of my favorite fighters losing. It's bound to happen in this sport, and quite often at that. Rarely does anybody keep their zero in the L column for too long. It's more the way Woodley looked in the Octagon that is perplexing me. He looked like a shell of himself, a man that didn't want to be in the cage at all. T-Wood wasn't reacting when Roufus said, "You're down 3-0 on rounds." Or when Din Thomas tried to spark some offense with motivational talk.

Woodley was doing things that didn't make sense to me. He wasn't moving forward at all. Completely ceded Octagon control and ring generalship to Usman right off the bat. It's like Tyron resigned himself to a position with his back against the cage. Usman had no fear or reason to respect Woodley's power. Tyron did not establish the jab or attempt to string together any combos. He's got extremely powerful leg kicks. We barely saw those throughout the five rounds. His vaunted overhand right, only glimpsed on a few occasions. Twice T-Wood went for the guillotine, which failed both times, instead sacrificing positioning to Kamaru. I know he likes that choke and believes in the strength of his arms but come on, man. You should have learned from the first "Wonderboy" fight when you burned out your arms squeezing for a choke that wasn't fully there.

This is the most important part of my post. I was dead wrong about this matchup. I didn't think Usman could strike with Woodley, but he didn't have to. Usman fought brilliantly and smartly. Realized he could walk down Woodley with little repercussion. The standing elbow hurt Woodley and opened him up with a cut. When they traded in R4, Usman was actually winning those exchanges. Short, inside uppercut landed a few times for Kamaru. Wore down T-Wood's body in the clinch with the grinding style he's really good at. I was surprised Usman took Tyron down multiple times, in dominating fashion. I know the "Naija Nightmare" has top-notch wrestling, but Woodley trains with Askren and usually has solid TDD. He's a strong guy that's not easy to bully in the clinch or with grappling. Kamaru was doing a lot of clever little things that Jon Jones is famous for. Foot stomp in the clinch against the cage, subtle shoulder crank, covering the opponent's mouth to disrupt breathing patterns. Usman's cardio was impressive. He was relentlessly attacking T-Wood. On some Cain and Frankie Edgar levels of pressure. The body work was PHENOMENAL. The right hand to the body was punishing. Usman landed that sharp and hard, over and over. If Woodley entered the fight emotionally or mentally drained, the body punches killed him physically.

He'll need to further improve his stand-up moving forward, but Kamaru Usman is a far, far different fighter than the man we saw in his early stages of TUF when ATT faced off against the Blackzilians. Glenn Robinson would be proud, RIP. Colby Covington got a major problem on his hands with this version of "Naija Nightmare" rounding into his prime. A lot different than the 33-year-old RDA that Covington beat in June. Plus Usman already matched that W on RDA in November.

Crib got hyped when we spotted that blonde with the fake knockers behind Colby. Shorty was showin' out on the Vegas strip.

Woodley super disappointing tonight. Looked absolutely terrible out there.

Also, :smh: at Cody tonight too. He going to be on the prelims next time he fights. 3 straight fights of just going down swinging and not controlling your emotions.

Since Colby is getting the first shot at Usman, maybe a proven vet in RDA for T-Wood. If Till gets past "Gambred," which is no easy task, him and Askren for #1 contender.

Santiago Ponzinibbio is the guy no one wants to fight at WW. Won seven fights in a row. Beat Magny, Perry and Gunnar in his last three. Ponz's boxing is nice. Tough chin on him. Underappreciated. More risk than the reward is worth for top-5 opponents.

champcruthik champcruthik

What do you think about Shawn Porter vs Yordenis Ugas next weekend?
Been keeping an eye on Ugas since he won bronze in the '08 Olympics. 8-fight win streak, with a W over Dulorme. Made it look easy against CMB. Been aggressively knocking guys out recently, like Ray Robinson and Batista.

With all that being said, still think my guy Porter is going to outpoint Ugas. Nothing crazy wide, like 116-112.

You?

Been keeping an eye on Ugas since he won bronze in the '08 Olympics. 8-fight win streak, with a W over Dulorme. Made it look easy against CMB. Been aggressively knocking guys out recently, like Ray Robinson and Batista.

With all that being said, still think my guy Porter is going to outpoint Ugas. Nothing crazy wide, like 116-112.

You?
50-50 tough call

Heard that, I feel you.

Good two months of boxing for me. My three favorite fighters all going. Porter, Ukrainian Rembrandt and Khan.

I'll take two out of three, because we all know what Bud finna do in NYC.
Looking forward to these fights. Where have you been? Haven't seen you post regularly in a long time.

Something wrong with woodley?

Dude look lost out there. credit to usman tho

Its just there are times where woodley can definitely take offense but kept backing up to the cage.

why do ppl keep acting like Woodley lost because hes a one trick pony? i can count the right hands he threw all night on one hand

mans jus wasnt there mentally from the opening bell. alsonlooked a lil deflated. wouldnt be suprised to hear it come out he was under the weather

Was thinking about dropping the $64.99 for this one but I always regret it in the AM because the "stacked" cards typically end up being a letdown.

Where does Cody go from here?

why do ppl keep acting like Woodley lost because hes a one trick pony? i can count the right hands he threw all night on one hand

mans jus wasnt there mentally from the opening bell. alsonlooked a lil deflated. wouldnt be suprised to hear it come out he was under the weather

he wasnt there mentally? it wasnt the fact that he was completely overwhelmed by a wrestler that continued to push the pace on him the entire fight?

maybe he was sick, or may be kamaru was sick, or maybe they were both sick, who knows

tyron's not making any excuses

Question, I only seen the highlight was at a bachelor party last night. Was lawler asleep or early stoppage?

Question, I only seen the highlight was at a bachelor party last night. Was lawler asleep or early stoppage?
The way his hand dropped, it look like he was asleep, but dean didnt stop the fight then. Dean asked if he was ok and then grabbed his hand and Lawler immediately moved his hand and seemed to give a thumbs up and then it was stopped.

Lawler seemed completely fine right away.

ref checked on him and he was woke :lol:
not sure if ben eased up or tired his arm out at that same time

seen guys in other fights been able to survive that

he wasnt there mentally? it wasnt the fact that he was completely overwhelmed by a wrestler that continued to push the pace on him the entire fight?

maybe he was sick, or may be kamaru was sick, or maybe they were both sick, who knows

tyron's not making any excuses

man im just commentating on what I saw, he looked tired, uninterested, unprepared whatever you wanna call it

he did say it felt like a bad dream and he couldnt react

typically if someones overwhelming you with a tactic you try different things, like Connor tried with Khabib. Twood just seemed resigned to let whatever happened happen. Also, like I said earlier he didnt even throw the right hand but what 4 or 5 times. If he were desperate and all in youd think he let it fly.

maybe he was exhausted by the overwhelming pressure but that wasnt the case rd 1.... never seen him so content with backpedaling and giving nothing in the way of offense and his ONLY defensive strategy all night be pummel under and get your back on the fence

gotta give Usman his props tho, been a DOMINATING 18-24 months for him. his speech with his daughter was a good moment. deserving champ

now feed Twood Colby then run it back

Back
Top Bottom