The Most Popular Fast-Food Outlets You Haven't Heard Of (Yet) - Yahoo

Umami Burger is not "fast food."

SMH

I don't know anything about it, but what separates what they do at Umami from 5 Guys, Shake Shack, GSE, etc.? Even though SS and GSE have a MUCH better burger than 5 guys, it's like gourmet fast food.

i been to the melt in berkeley its like $5 for a grilled cheese sandwhich but i cant front its hella good

Cups is pretty good, had it a couple times.

something decent to have with a female during the summer.

the ones ive been too are in "money" areas, arent expensive.

i could see them lasting awhile.

im thinking of hitting up Umami burger tonight for dinner in palo alto i had to google and looked at the pics :wow: it look good

i ate at melt in berkeley once. it was aiight i suppose.

and i'm guilty for being a fan of froyo too :lol:

Last edited:
I've been to 100 montaditos a few times, personally I don't think it's anything special. The sandwiches in person are very small and it's usually one or two things in there with lots of bread. I can see how it would be a good business idea because they must make a pretty nice profit on those things.

Me and my friends would go Wednesdays when everything on the menu is 1$ and beers like 2$. I just moved back to Md from Miami and its funny because they are opening one in Bethesda for any NTers in the area that are interested. Besides that they only have them in South Florida. Its a decent franchise. People also go to watch soccer games.

The only place on that list i've been to is Cups. their stuff is pretty good. and the young ladies that work there are pretty nice to look at too.

Burger Fi was pretty good the one time I had it.

And I love frozen yogurt, so this fad is welcomed by me.

Umami Burger is not "fast food."

SMH

I don't know anything about it, but what separates what they do at Umami from 5 Guys, Shake Shack, GSE, etc.? Even though SS and GSE have a MUCH better burger than 5 guys, it's like gourmet fast food.

def not fast food :lol: its a sit down restaurant with a full bar.

it can get crazy packed sometimes like waiting for a table for 45min to an hour. but there burgers are good.

http://www.firehousesubs.com/ is coming to the Northeast soon

nthat.gif

that's all I care about
Just got back from there. Their sandwiches are okay, nothing to write home about. I usually get the steak and cheese on wheat
Steak and Cheese 
pimp.gif

GSE= Good Stuff Eatery?

Chef Spike's notoriety is from an earlier season of Bravo's Top Chef and later on Top Chef All-Stars. He also created the restaurant (We The Pizza) and had a really popular smores milkshake. Although I haven't been to the DMV area (or just D.C. overall). Apparently, his approach on the classic dining burger is refined but straight forward flavors.

As for Shake Shack, I've had it when I did a tour of NYC. As much as the pattie tasted real good as a stand alone in the burger. It lacked the depth of flavor as well as the components of the burger, being isolating the palate as opposed to having all the components coming together in a single bite. The size and price is also questionable but that comes with a price I guess when you live in that part of NYC. The frozen custard was nice but the chocolate was unforgiving on the teeth due to the stickiness of the syrup.

Umami Burger is somewhat similar to these two, given the approach of the conventional burger is to see how much flavor you can compact in a bite size meal. The essential difference draws from the types of flavor combinations (Bacon and Scallop burger a recent offering) and the variety of beverages or desserts they offer on the side (the LA location offered, ice cream from Milk, SF's location offered ice cream sandwiches with Humphrey Slaucombe, so Oakland's might be "Fenton?"????

That's all I can input on the differences between these spots on their burgers and side offerings.

im thinking of hitting up Umami burger tonight for dinner in palo alto i had to google and looked at the pics :wow: it look good

Nawghty were you able to try it? What you think?

def not fast food :lol: its a sit down restaurant with a full bar.

it can get crazy packed sometimes like waiting for a table for 45min to an hour. but there burgers are good.

^ Exactly, the wait time can get ridiculous seeing as I went to the original one on La Brea and with the limited seating and parking it can get really bad on a weekend depending when you go in LA. Thankfully SF has a location that has a bit more seating and Oakland will be opening one up soon which is also BART accessible and a good alternative for those not wanting to venture out into SF.

Last edited:
We don't have any of those spots in the D.C. Metro area but we do have "Shop House" a Southeast Asian inspired eatery owned by the same people that own Chipotle. Its pretty good a nice change of pace when you get tired of the traditional fast food/fast casual restuarants. I think they just opened one in LA recently too.

outsideshophouse.jpg
View media item 440669

GALLERY]

DSCN5678.JPG

i got a veggie grill and a umani burger right by where i live.

umani burger is good but as stated earlier isn't fast food.

i like veggie grill alot, reasonably priced and the food is good. also if you sign up for their email club, you get a free meal coupon to use during your birthday month.

Back
Top Bottom