the 'n' word :: shall we?

..since race seems to be an issue on certain college campuses and world renowned message boards..

where should the 'n' word be placed in our society today?

..or should it?

*shrug*

please advise.

It should be placed in a jar, and buried.
Sig check...
EVERYDAY PPLE
IN EVERYDAY WE TRUST
www.everydaypple.com
LIKE. OR LOVE.

B, please explain how it has value. I'm ready to be blown away by an explanation.
Sig check...
EVERYDAY PPLE
IN EVERYDAY WE TRUST
www.everydaypple.com
LIKE. OR LOVE.

[Boney Starks show]

"I'm Black Y'all! And I'm Black Y'all! And big-gie-dig-iei-ty Black Y'all!"

[/CB4] :rofl:
roll.gif

Dream Team of MD/DC/VA - We are RESPECTED for a reason...
'TeePeso,' 'Destination Kicks,' DCShoeDon,' 'JaywhYeNeX,' 'Importking,' 'DCshoechick,' 'Scott Scotch,' 'rudolph1996,' '7hillz,' 'MyTSharp'​

how else will those who dont see institutional racism, be able to decipher racism?

if we bury it, what word would kramer use, how bout dog? you think any of them continue to use the word to slander blacks because of snoop, or any of the other numerous hip-hop records? i dont think so. i think it's a convenient excuse, though. they (overtly racist people) use the word to defame, discredit, and demean**, and will continue using the word no matter how many of "us" stop using the word.

news flash, they never stopped using the word, so how is it that "hip-hop" somehow made it ok?
www.iamhofe.com

Let me take a little of what Why Blaque said and expand.

I think if the N word were buried we'd have more Closet Racist who couldn't slip the word out to REALLY let us know how they felt.

I am a FIRM believer no matter how ignorant it may sound or appear that when my momma calls me a lil "N" ----a or a Funny "N"-----a its far less degrading than say if my Dad (who's white) called me a lil "N"---er or a Funny "N"----er

There's a lil Sting.. a lil Hatred when you hear that ER behind the word....as I weirdly understand when people say they have taken the power out of the word by makin it their own with an A on the end.

I still to this day feel odd if I hear a white dude say the N word around a group or whatever, cause he thinks it's ok. I find it funny when I hear a group of kids callin each other the N word.. and not ONE in the Group is Black.

What does that say about the word then? Does it then have the same meaning?

When you bury the word.. do you bury the word *****rdly which has a completely different meaning? However if Omar called me out and said

Rock.. you sure are acting *****rdly right now... should I take excpeption?

or if Kev called me out and said
Rock you sure are acting like a N---er right now?

say what you want.. just don't call me a N-------er....but I will ALWAYS be a Nuhhhhhh
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++​
Gratuitus For Sale Plug: DS & VNDS Size 10.5 & 11XII's XIII's V's XIX XIX SEs 2K3s 2K4s VC's​

badgeman not everyone is asstute as you, and the suttlities of racism miss some people. some people even believe that racism doesn't exist.

you have to be able to feed people at all levels. you guide them to gain more understanding about the world around them, and hopefully they will see all things. how many people have now begun to get active in their community after jena 6? how many people were outraged by kramers remarks, and thus started action? these small cases i hope, and pray begin sparks in people who dont see the racism in the judicial system, or the incarceration rates across america.
www.iamhofe.com

Tommie has a good point though. Although I think folks should kill the word...it's mainly because I'm tried of hearing about the debate.

Tupac is not dead. He lives in a 2 bedroom duplex with Frank Lucas.
Sig check...
EVERYDAY PPLE
IN EVERYDAY WE TRUST
www.everydaypple.com
LIKE. OR LOVE.

Speaking in general:

I know it might seem that anyone and everyone can weigh in on this, but if you haven't walked in the shoes it's kind of hard to even listen to your argument. The experience alone takes it to a level you will never fully understand.

I can acknowledge a certain level of legitimacy to an the argument, but it will never be enough to convince me otherwise of my experiences and those that came before me.

Badgeman:

Richard's hecklers may have started with the racially based insults, but given history how much power is in those comments? Throwing an -ER back at a "cracker-like" statement is like being hit with a nerf ball and shooting an M16 back.

Quote:
I've stopped trying to argue about it.

It's like crack. I keep thinking that, but then I get pulled back in. It's an endless belief in having the right words to explain the experience.

I think the issue of the word is a small thing compare to the bigger issue that nobody in the news,media and society wants to address. The word is a by product of lack of race relations in the USA. Until we(Americans) can have a series of various open dialogue about how black,white, brown people feel they are treated, the n word will be continue to be used because it is a way for people be disrespectful withput truly stating why they hate black people. If you buried the word but people still feel the same way about you, what difference does it make. I rather know you dislike me than be blinded sided. The word is based on ignorance so lets have nationwide dialogue so we all educated and understand where the hate is coming from.
People need to stop blaming hip-hop for everything. Hip-hop is the result of the harsh realities of the American society.It has it good and bad. You take what you want out of it and if you expect the youth to be raised on Hip-hop than we have failed our children by using entertainment to guide them thru life.
Sorry for the long ranting.
STOCKS & BONDS
TEES COMING SOON

I'd be equally upset if I was called a "N-er" or a "B-". Disrespect is disrespect no matter what the word is.

As for the term "N-a", I think people need to stop acting so sensitive. Yes, it was derived from history's ultimate insult to some one of african heritage but this is now used as a term of endearment. "We" took it, changed it, and now its not meant to be an insult. Some people just refuse to take it that way. I guess its like "a bad seed bears nothing but bad fruit".

Ultimately, its "Sticks and stones.." to me. I know what it means, I know where it came from. Its still just a word. People control a word's meaning, nothing else. But..
Quote:
I've stopped trying to argue about it.
Team PokerStars
"Duece, Seven... I'm ALL-IN"
"I'VE NEVER WORKED A DAY IN MY LIFE"​
John Madden​

Quote:
People need to stop blaming hip-hop for everything. Hip-hop is the result of the harsh realities of the American society.It has it good and bad. You take what you want out of it and if you expect the youth to be raised on Hip-hop than we have failed our children by using entertainment to guide them :pimp:
pimp.gif

Quote:
I still to this day feel odd if I hear a white dude say the N word around a group or whatever, cause he thinks it's ok. I find it funny when I hear a group of kids callin each other the N word.. and not ONE in the Group is Black.
202< Bush Lives In My Backyard, He Doesn't Dare Hop That Fence >202

^^^^

I think the difference in opinion comes from who is using it. I'm 30 and coming up there was NEVER a time that a non- black person was allowed to use the term without getting checked. Everyone seemed to know it.

Nowadays it seems to be very prevalent to hear various groups of young people using the word. The most disgusting part is that they seem not to know anything about the word. Or how inappropriate it may be in the larger context of society.

Quote:
Rock.. you sure are acting *****rdly right now... should I take excpeption?
DestinationKicks: real great idea tommie, real great stereotee : you never f'n know these days stereotee : remember the alamo
"There is a fanbase that wants to hear good music, but there is a media that promotes foolishness." -Rhymefest

Im latino and I hear alot of latino dudes in the metro area say it all the time including myself. I however only say it when its around people I know arecomfortable hearing it. My question is do you guys think its acceptable for latinos to say it? I personally think its ok because the word N__er comes from thethe word negro which directly tranflates into black in spanish. Also I dont get offended when someone calles me a the hispanic version of the n word

very valid point.

all originating from the latin root word. the spanish language was an offspring of the latin language....hence negro meaning black.

very very valid point.

somehow in the mix, it was misconceived...

alotta good points fellaz.

Personally, I think if its used, then everyone should be able to use the word freely with no concequence. if not, then no one should.

call it what you want but there is and always will be a negative connotation to it.

and I think there are more important issues in the world. smh. between poverty and this war, people gettin sensitive and choked up cause of a "word"

Like brother Boney, I to am trying to cut it out my everyday speech as well.

reminds me of that track done by DJ Premier; NYGz feat. BlaqPoet - Ni99a, H03, B!7ch! check it...

Back
Top Bottom