The NBA Stats Thread: The 15-year chain reaction that led to the NBA's current offensive explosion

Discussion in 'Sports & Training' started by pmatic, Feb 28, 2013.

1. pmatic

pmatic

The all encompassing thread for anything to do with NBA advanced statistics.

Resources:
    nba.com/stats
    nba.com/advancedstats/
    Basketball-Reference
    HoopData
    82games
    Vorped
    nbawowy
    Wages of Wins
    NBA Geek
    hoops stats
    Synergy
    statitudes
    The Mikan Drill
    Vantage Sports
    Hickory-High
    Sports Club Stats
    Team Rankings
    Advanced Statistics Calculator

Remember, we don't watch games. We just analyze box scores.

Edit:

A good starting point for those interested.
    Link

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
    big j 33 and drones like this.
  2. pmatic

pmatic

The MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference (SSAC) starts tomorrow and runs through Saturday.

Here's a link to all the research papers being presented.

3. finallyfamous

finallyfamous

What is the joy y'all get out of this? Not hating just curious.

I understand the idea of advanced stats and what not, but do people really analyze this stuff all the time?

4. mmg

mmg Banned

I think it's just a different way of looking at the game.

Production, efficiency, etc....

5. pmatic

pmatic

I look at it like this, if you love the NBA, why not get as much information about it as possible?

6. finallyfamous

finallyfamous

I gotchu

7. jjs07

jjs07

SLOWLY getting into advanced stats....still won't watch Moneyball tho :lol:

I love this site below:

Wages of Wins

:pimp:

(Good thread, P)

8. antidope

antidope

For me its all about having as much information and insight into the game as possible. Its aslo a huge help when it comes to discussions. I'd rather a mountain of stats get posted than someone use cliche phrases like "he willed it in" or "this team wanted it more"

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  9. flasheightzero

flasheightzero

I'm fascinated by the new sportvu cameras that hang in a few of the arenas and track and record every player's movement

"The technology was originally developed to track missiles. Now, SportVU systems hang from the catwalks of 10 NBA arenas, tiny webcams that silently track each player as they shoot, pass, and run across the court, recording each and every move 25 times a second. SportVU can tell you not just Kevin Durant’s shooting average, but his shooting average after dribbling one vs. two times, or his shooting average with a defender three feet away vs. five feet away. SportVU can actually consider both factors at once, plus take into account who passed him the ball, how many minutes he’d been on the court, and how many miles he’d run that game already."
    http://www.fastcodesign.com/1670059/moneyball-20-how-missile-tracking-cameras-are-remaking-the-nba

I like the heat maps they create off the info, here's durant's shooting percentage on contested shots from various spots on the floor

and here's just a graphic of # of shots from various spots

it's less about number crunching and more about quantifying (and thereby gathering the information that allows you to improve) player and team effectiveness

pepperjackchees likes this.
  10. pmatic

pmatic

Link

11. antidope

antidope

[​IMG]

12. al3xis

al3xis

How far away do you guys think we are from having Synergy or another service become like it available for cheap or maybe even free? If they don't do it themselves, I'd have to imagine somebody else will come along and try to open the floodgates. (Although I dont know what type of licence they have with the NBA)

13. pmatic

pmatic

I read recently NBA.com/stats will be using videos soon. I'm not sure it'll be as thorough as Synergy though.

At least Synergy allows one to check the stats for free.

14. dcallamerican

dcallamerican

Being educated.

Looking at numbers.

I personally LOVE numbers, so it is fun.

Best paper last year to me (that I need to study for hooping) is , "Where do all the rebounds go."

http://courtvisionanalytics.com/where-do-rebounds-go/

15. addict4sneakers

addict4sneakers

Synergy :pimp:

There's no excuse for an NBA player about their craft not to use it

16. dcallamerican

dcallamerican

There is a $30 fee to see a modified version of Synergy. Well it was like that a few years ago. I haven't used it because the stream is always choppy on my PC.

17. pmatic

pmatic

Link

18. maxelite

maxelite

19. pmatic

pmatic

Link

20. CP1708

CP1708

^
    Great read.

I've been playing with the SAP stuff on NBA.com going thru old game logs of Magic Johnson and copying them down. Sadly, I'm finding issues with the information. Some of the totals are not adding up as they should be. To me, that's dicey when you have all that info and some are wrong, what the hell man? I found a game when Magic had like 18 points, 15 assists, 6-7 rebounds, and it says he played 6 minutes that game. :lol: That has to be some kind of record. So I tried to think logically, ok, it was probably 36 minutes and just a typo, add the 30 minutes, and his season total is still off from what his season stats show. :smh:

In another season I found his points off by 1-2, his assists off by 1, his free throw makes and attempts both off, and one other stat I'm forgetting.

So now I'm a little worried about what they are entering in as their information. I think they are still working on it tho, because his game logs from like 85 and earlier are incomplete still.

I'm not all the way on board with you all yet, but I'm starting to lean and if I ever do fall, I have to give the credit to Osh, Proshares and PMatic. I hate all 3 of you. :lol: