The NCAA Will Now Take Away Touchdowns for Taunting

When someone gets a game winning touchdown taken away, the NCAA will never hear the end of it.

couple this with the fact they wont let the KIDS write messages on their eye black anymore = ridiculous

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

What a stupid @#$ rule what the @#$# were they thinking passing this? Let the kids have some fun, it's a sport for Christ sake.

Beginning in 2011, live-ball penalties will be assessed from the spot of the foul and eliminate the score. Examples include players finishing touchdown runs by high-stepping into the end zone or pointing the ball toward an opponent.

Celebration penalties following a score will continue to be assessed on conversion attempts or the ensuing kickoff.

"I think one of the reasons it's been looked at is that when a penalty occurs on the field, it's normally taken from the spot," Teaff said. "This was the only occurrence that it wasn't taken from the spot, so they wanted to change that."

"The rules committee voted unanimously on this. Let's keep the lid on sportsmanship and prevent that type of demeaning," said Dave Parry, the NCAA's national coordinator of college football officiating. "I recall a play a few years ago where a player turned around at the 10 and teased the opponent with the ball. In the past this would be a penalty assessed on the extra point or kickoffs. Now, it's no touchdown."

Gee leave it to the clean cut NCAA to be our moralistic savior
grin.gif

I said this in the previous thread we had on this and I'm sticking to it:
Stupid.

You have old dudes (refs) determining their view of whether they think something is taunting or not. Then based on their opinion an actual touchdown (i.e. something that was an accomplished play) would be taken away from the scoreboard.
They are claiming right now it will only be for "extreme cases" but we all know we can't wait to see the backlash on here, ESPN, chatboards, etc. when a ref decides in his opinion something not even noticeable was taunting and a highly ranked team has a touchdown taken away at the end of the game to lose.
laugh.gif

This is a dumb idea....as much as people gamble on CFB, I can see someone really trying to do some harm to a ref due to losing a bet because of a TD taken away....

If the NCAA really respected Student athletes, they would make stand out academic Senior athletes part of the rules committee.

Terrible. They got old dudes who probably have never played collegiate sports in their life determine how players should act. Absolutely terrible....

Yeah that penalty was weak, so was the one that happened to Washington a few years back against BYU. The point was those touchdowns didn't come off the board even though both Georgia and Washington went on to lose those games.

The op said before the player crosses the goal line.

Originally Posted by Ecook0808

Have a feeling this will result in something bad...
Yeah it will. Its just another flag that is left up to a referee's judgment call. There will be many a game lost because the referee threw a flag because the guy dove into the end zone but the ref saw it as taunting. Something like that will happen and points will be taken off the board and cost someone a game.

This is absolutely ridiculous. I dont know why college football cant ever get anything right.

Originally Posted by manamazing55

couple this with the fact they wont let the KIDS write messages on their eye black anymore = ridiculous

co-sign the ncaa is getting more and more like the no fun league

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

U guys are over reacting. This will be called ONCE outta 300 games.
Watch it get called on your favorite team in a very big game smart **!. This call is going to be called a hell of a lot more than once out of every 300 games
eyes.gif

Idk if any of y'all saw College Football Live last night but the Head of NCAA referee's or some %%%+ like that was on there talking about what is taunting and what isn't. They went through a couple plays, that under the new rule would be a 15 yd. Penalty and 7 pts off the boards. I have to say, that if the rules are enforced as the Head Referee man expects them to be (based on the plays that were shown), then I can see this being called at least once in EVERY game taking a TD off the board.

Originally Posted by Futuristic

That's stupid as hell.

1. If you score, you deserve a touchdown regardless of your sportsmanship.

2. These refs don't need any more power.
I agree...these new taunting rules are so stupid. Different refs will have a different definition of taunting and besides how can you distinguish between taunting and playing.

its only being taken away if they start before getting in the endzone so i dont see what people are complaining about...and the game wont be decided by the refs...dont do it and you are all good...

Originally Posted by manamazing55

good that was corny to begin with

This is dumb a bunch of people can sit in rule and agree on a rule that makes no sense, but somehow can't sit in a room and agree on playoff. 

Back
Top Bottom