The Official PlayStation Thread Vol. 5 | State of Play Today | Death Stranding 2 | Silent Hill on PSN | Hell Divers | Stellar Blade | Rise of Ronin

Did you copy a PlayStation 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kena BoS being only $40 leads me to believe this game will be short.

Looks amazing, though.

You can definitely tell there's not enough hardware to go round. They must have got decent amount of PS5 stock that week for this to happen.
You normally see games drop by 70% after week 1 sales.

Kena BoS being only $40 leads me to believe this game will be short.

Looks amazing, though.

It always came across as a short game. Not Journey short but like other similar indie titles.

it's also prime day today(21) and tomorrow.
I'm sure games will be on sale as well as some storage options if you are looking to get something

Last edited:
Hope the Castlevania advance collection rumors are true. Aria of sorrow is too dam good to be locked to ancient hardware. If it includes the the ds and 3ds games even better dawn of sorrow is another classic

**** CP.

They can make all the updates and fixes they want, i will never play it.

Shame because i love TW3.

I played & beat it twice with al the crashes that occurred. After that I don't need to ever play it again LOL. Deleted it compelety off my system.

I don't even know what it would take for me to play it again haha.

It looks incredible.

Really fun game. If you have a kid they will enjoy it.

Im not a big fan of the R&C series so i wouldn't have paid retail on it.
I played the previous version without ever completing them. It is a fun game but have to be in a certain mood IMO.
That being said... I'll prolly just wait for it to go on sale. Not sure when I'll have time to play it anyways.

On a total diff note.... Glad I beat Returnal before my son was born or else I'd still be addicted to it until I finished LOL. Same with Demon Souls, etc....

I played the previous version without ever completing them. It is a fun game but have to be in a certain mood IMO.
That being said... I'll prolly just wait for it to go on sale. Not sure when I'll have time to play it anyways.

Same. I really had fun with the last R&C but never finished it. I will wait for disco. I am really stuck on first-person shooters since I got the fast display.

Congrats on the healthy seed brosef.

**** CP.

They can make all the updates and fixes they want, i will never play it.

Shame because i love TW3.

Man it's wild to me how these cats even released TW3, easily one of my faves all time
Just give me my free PS5 upgrade on that.
TW4 gonna have to be perfect

I think more than half the reason why I'm so mad about this is because I envisioned CP2077
to be that GTA/RDR game that would carry me for at least half the gen through multiple replays and exploration and that would tide me over until we got a GTA 6 announcement at the very least.

Really hoping HFW drops this year for this very reason.

Via Playstationlifestyle

Sony Patents System to Better Manage Console Notifications
ps5-ui.jpg

Sony Interactive Entertainment recently filed a patent for a system that summarizes notifications for users and makes room for better notification management.

As spotted by MP1st, the patent can be found on USPTO’s website, and indicates that Sony plans to refine PlayStation 5‘s user interface. According to an abstract, the system will prioritize notifications in the context of a user’s activity, determining whether to display certain notifications for a user at the time or not. The system will also populate a list notifications in order of priority. The idea behind the patent is to not disrupt users while ensuring that important information is brought to their attention.

As usual, there’s a lot of technical jargon in the application, but the abstract below does a good job of explaining what the patent is about.

Techniques for managing notifications are described. In an example, a computing device presents content in an application window based on an execution of an application. Notification data is received by a computing device. Based on a context associated with the computing device, such as whether the application window is the foreground and whether the notification data is associated with the application or such as the operational mode of the computing device, a determination is made whether to present a corresponding notification in-context within the application window or in a pop-up window. Otherwise, the notification is added to a notification list and can be summarized in a notification summary.
What do our readers think of the current notification system?

Via Playstationlifestyle

Sony ‘Supports and Encourages’ Cross-Play, Says Jim Ryan
fortnite-new-weapon.png

Sony has often come under scrutiny for its rigid stance on cross-play. It’s no secret that the company resisted the feature until its hand was practically forced by Epic Games when it famously “accidentally” enabled cross-play in Fortnite. Sony finally caved in 2018.

Ryan’s statement to Axios doesn’t indicate that Sony plans to fully embrace cross-play. At least not anytime soon. It was only recently that Gearbox Software CEO Randy Pitchford revealed that Borderlands 3‘s cross-play support had to be disabled on PlayStation platforms for certification purposes – a requirement put forth by the “publisher” (2K Games). Neither Gearbox nor Sony elaborated on the issue.

When quizzed about this by Axios, Ryan declined to comment, stating that he doesn’t want to discuss a “live business issue with a long-standing partner” and that Sony’s policies are “consistent across all of the publishers.” It’s unclear what the issue is.

Blizzard Entertainment recently announced that Overwatch will receive cross-play support across all platforms in due course.

Via Pushsquare

Rumour: Unannounced Dead Space Game Is a 'Reimagining', Not a Sequel
dead-space-ps5.original.jpg

It looks like a revival of the Dead Space franchise is definitely on the cards as more sites come forward with information pertaining to the rumoured project. First reported by Games Beat writer Jeff Grubb, Eurogamer corroborated the claimby stating the information lines up with what the outlet has heard. Now, Gematsu has come forward with an even juicier tidbit. The new Dead Space title from EA Motive will be a "reimagining" rather than a sequel to the original trilogy.

Sal Romano, owner of the outlet, said: "Gematsu has also separately heard that a Dead Space revival is in the works at Motive, which is said to be a reimagining rather than a sequel to the existing trilogy." If the claim is true, then it opens up a lot of new possibilities for what this new entry could be. We assume it will stick to the third-person survival horror format, but will there be any returning characters or an entirely new cast? As long as the Plasma Cutter makes a comeback, we think we'll be alright, however.

This new Dead Space game is supposedly being announced during EA Play next month on 22nd July 2021, so we've got a couple of weeks to wait before we see it for ourselves. What new direction do you think this reimagining will take the series in? Speculate in the comments below.

Via Pushsquare

Weird PS5 Game Abandoned Delays Trailer App to Friday
The bizarre saga surrounding PlayStation 5 game Abandoned has taken yet another turn in the past 24 hours as Blue Box Game Studios delays the trailer app associated with the title until Friday. It was originally scheduled to go live on the PS Store tomorrow. This is because of localisation issues, the Dutch developer claims. A tweet confirming the newsalso said: "The app will kick off with an introduction to get you introduced with it’s purpose and how to use the app."

In response to questioning on the social media platform, the mysterious Twitter account then explains the PS5 app will house "all trailers and gameplay reveals. Each of them will be available in de app once they are individually available. I can confirm that this summer some of them will be available." So there's no guarantee we will actually see anything new from the game at the end of this week. The strange application is simply designed to be the one-stop shop for all things Abandoned.

The next important detail is that the game's supposedly isn't really a PS5 exclusive at all, with the same Twitter profile stating it will launch on PC "eventually". And finally, after numerous messages were sent to his personal PSN account, studio "boss" Hasan Kahraman responded to one request for information with a voice note. He said: "No, the teaser we didn't have a lot of time so Sony wanted something real quick. So we had to show something and that was not the game at all. So the game will be different."

If you're wondering what on earth it is we're talking about, we recommend first checking out our comprehensive overview of the crazy story so far, and then reading through the latest updates from this past weekend. With these latest revelations taken into account, it feels like the conversation is changing to a point where most followers agree Hideo Kojima is in no way involved with this kerfuffle. There are still some believers riding the #TeamReal train, but we think disappointment isn't too far away. Some even think the whole thing could be one big scam.

Let's hope Blue Box Game Studios issues some sort of substantial update on the game in the future because we fear the pre-release drama surrounding Abandoned will prove to be far more entertaining and interesting than the final product. Maybe some proper gameplay could give us some hope. Where do you now fall? Do you still believe Hideo Kojima is behind it all or is this too much of a suspicious situation? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Via Pushsquare

Bethesda Apologises to PS5, PS4 Fans 'P*ssed' at Exclusivity
starfield-ps5-playstation-5-1.original.jpg

Sci-fi role-playing game Starfield, announced last week as an Xbox Series X|S console exclusive, was in development at one point for the PlayStation 5 – heck, there were even rumours that Sony was trying to secure timed exclusivity for the title, similarly to Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo. Now, the game will never release on a PlayStation platform at all – in fact, neither will Arkane Austin’s vampire-themed co-op shooter Redfall, or any other future Bethesda game.

All of this was to be expected when Xbox explored the back of CEO Satya Nadella’s sofa, and dug out the $7.5 billion required to buy the publisher outright. And global marketing bigwig Pete Hines has apologised for the situation, although his comments come across more like a shrug to be honest – this decision is ultimately way above his pay grade.

“If you’re a big fan of stuff we make [and it] is no longer available on your platform, I totally understand if you are unhappy or p*ssed or whatever,” he sympathised in a GameSpot interview. “I get it, those are all real feelings and frustrations. I don’t know how to allay the fears and concerns of PS5 fans other than to say, well, I’m a PS5 player as well, and I’ve played games on that console, and there’s games I’m going to continue to play on it, but if you want to play Starfield, [it’s on] PC and Xbox.”

He added: “Sorry. All I can really say is I apologise, because I’m certain that that’s frustrating to folks, but there’s not a whole lot I can do about it.”

Todd Howard, the creative force behind Bethesda Game Studios, made a similar statement when interviewed by British newspaper The Telegraph: “You don’t ever want to leave people out, right? But at the end of the day, your ability to focus and say, this is the game I want to make, these are the platforms I want to make it on, and being able to really lean in on those is going to make for a better product.”

The veteran developer went on to explain that Microsoft’s commitment to cloud gaming will actually open up more avenues to its software than ever before. Of course, that ignores the fact that Bethesda could have fully supported xCloud prior to the acquisition and released on PlayStation platforms as well, but we appreciate he has to put a positive spin on it.

There’s probably not much more to add at this point. The situation is, unfortunately, what it is.

Via Pushsquare

PS5 Games Are Still Selling Poorly at Retail in Japan
ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart-ps5-playstation-5-1.original.jpg

Now that stock is slowly becoming more available, the PlayStation 5 is selling much better in Japan. It’s still not particularly spectacular, but in terms of hardware units it has overtaken the PS4 and PS Vita when launch aligned, and is now catching up to the Nintendo Wii U. The latter may not particularly surprise you, but it was a source of many memes at the beginning of the generation.

The problem is that software is not selling well at all – at least not at retail, anyway. Obviously there’s important context here: Famitsu’s data – which this article is based on – only includes physical sales, so we don’t know whether these games are selling better digitally. Obviously, trends worldwide have slowly started to skew towards the PS Store, so that’s important context here.

Nevertheless, Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade managed just 20,889 units. This one isn’t so bad actually, as you could feasibly pick up a pre-owned copy of the original PS4 game and upgrade it, which we’re sure many savvy gamers did. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, however, could only muster 14,663 units. It’s not great.

Meanwhile, Guilty Gear Strive’s next-gen version didn’t even make the top ten; the PS4 edition sold just 11,722 units. To put this into context, Nintendo’s new game creation software Game Builder Garage debuted with 71,241 units. Sure, it’s on a much more popular platform with a vastly superior install base, but you can see the difference.

The issue here is that the PS5 is actually sold out in Japan, so it’s not like the hardware is readily available. But with the install base now nearing one million units, it’s likely that consoles are being bought up by scalpers and shipped around Asia, because the software numbers do not appear to be getting better at all – at least not at retail, anyway.

I bought the disc version of Doom Eternal. Playing on PS5, didn’t update/upgrade yet, but after press X to start the screen stays black while the music plays. Any idea what’s wrong? Does it have to be upgraded to play, even if disc?

I bought the disc version of Doom Eternal. Playing on PS5, didn’t update/upgrade yet, but after press X to start the screen stays black while the music plays. Any idea what’s wrong? Does it have to be upgraded to play, even if disc?
PS5 upgrade comes out next week. Delete and reinstall the game see if that works

Back
Top Bottom