The Official PlayStation Thread Vol. 5 | State of Play Today | Death Stranding 2 | Silent Hill on PSN | Hell Divers | Stellar Blade | Rise of Ronin

Did you copy a PlayStation 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Best prices and the only 2 brands I would trust for SSD internal expansion:

amazon samsung ssd.png

amazon wd sn820.png

Heatsinks are cheap and are around $15 to $20. I'm still good and going to wait for Black Friday before I upgrade for more internal SSD space though.

Brand makes little difference... But I wonder if either of the WD Black ***'s from my new OMEN PCs are gen 4 or not. If so I might throw in my 512GB for a little added boost and put another 2TB gen 3 in my other PC

Best prices and the only 2 brands I would trust for SSD internal expansion:

amazon samsung ssd.png

Heatsinks are cheap and are around $15 to $20. I'm still good and going to wait for Black Friday before I upgrade for more internal SSD space though.

Had this one in mine for the past month
works like a dream

I’m Sony over Xbox but The confusion with Sony memeory shows me y Xbox did their own card.

What's the confusion? They provided the specs and what works best for the PS5. For people that don't want to spend the money on a gen 4 ssd they can try older gen versions at slower write speeds for SSD but that's on the persons own risk. There are youtube videos out that have shown people using older ssd dirves with the PS5.

The gen 4 SSD that they are recommending are just expensive right now because that tech is fairly new. Microsoft's proprietary SSD drives aren't that much cheaper also.

Madden NFL 22 debuted as the best-selling game of August, while also ranking 4th among the best-selling games of 2021 year-to-date. This is the 22nd consecutive year that a Madden NFL franchise release has been the best-selling title of its launch month.

bunk-headshake.gif

I just don't know why they went with gen 4 over gen 3 when the performance differences are minimal but price difference is double. If my PC can run games better than a PS5 on a gen 3 drive then don't tell me gen 4 is necessary when it's clearly not.

Bandwidth for gen 4 is double of gen 3. Gen 4 drives are topping out at 7GB/s which gen 3 drives don't even come close to.
You can't have add on drive be slower than the internal drive. Devs need to build to a certain spec.

Some cross gen games may run just fine on an older gen 3 but as time goes on, that won't be the case. Most PS5 games built haven't even taken advantage of the SSD and the compression benefits.

Which is why they should have enabled support for gen 3 drives... When the difference in load times on PCs using both drives is like 2 seconds who really wants to pay double for the price for that?

Which is why they should have enabled support for gen 3 drives... When the difference in load times on PCs using both drives is like 2 seconds who really wants to pay double for the price for that?

Yeah I agree. Prices eventually like any new tech or upgrade as time goes by will drop. But who knows because of the chip shortage affecting prices.

Worst case scenario... The 500GB WD Black BF2042 edition is on sale for $90 ($160 for the 1TB). I assume the game will retail for $60/70 so not too bad if you also have a PC and are interested in the game.

Actually it makes more sense to just get the 1TB 750se for $130 if you don't care about Battlefield. I will wait for them to go on sale for $100 then eventually wait for the 2TBs to drop to $200 then I should be good.

Last edited:

It's more than just load times. It's also about how fast you can stream assets straight from the drive into RAM during actual gameplay.
That's what opens up new possibilities because before, streaming from a hard drive was too slow so you had to dump everything you need for that level in RAM but you're limited to only 5GB of RAM on the PS4. With a fast SSD with no bottlenecks, the hard drive becomes an extension of RAM because you can stream assets in and out so quick

Just like how we saw the transition from loading games from a DVD on PS2 to installing the game on the hard drve on PS3, this is the next step and its a big one.

Insomniac had to slow the speed of Spider-Man swinging because streaming the assets for the city was slow on PS4 due to old hard drives.
This was the demo that Sony showed of the PS4 trying to run Spider-Man at a faster speed. The game basically stutters as the hard drive tries to catch up with all the other faster components.

If you built a game to the speed of the internal SSD then stuck a slower drive in there then you will end up with stuttering. They could've lowered the baseline speed but we're stuck with the PS5 for another 5 to 7 years so the higher the better IMO. These drives will always be getting cheaper.

Also PC games have not taken advantage of NVME drives either because the games have not been built for them. It's the same reasons why PS4 games played on a PS5 are not loading in 2 seconds like PS5 games.

PC's will be getting Directstorage which is Microsoft's version. It's a different implementation which is not as clean but PC's will brute force it anyway and eventually come out on top.
When that comes out then we will see what NVME drives can really do for games built around it.

The upside to PS5 is that the 5.5 GB/s internal SSD is the baseline so every game or maybe just the exclusives will be targeting that whereas on PC, you will still need to develop for the slower drives until the majority upgrade.

Man im not paying that much ill keep deleting games.

Might have to send my PS5 in before warranty runs out, i get the green screen when putting it to rest occasionally

Back
Top Bottom