The official '20 NYK thread, Nate jersey retired

Metta World Peace for head coach?

• A. Yes

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • B. No

Votes: 17 65.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We're gonna end up going into next season with almost the same exact roster and only addition will be the rookies and Alec.

Completely ok with that. Should be enough to give the young guys enough games to play with each other without useless veterans taking all their minutes. Puts us in position for a top 5 pick in a draft you want to have a high pick in.

But Julius Randle averages 20 and 10 is on a decent contract who’s still young and still can be taught/guided but everyone wants him gone. **** makes no sense. Give him another year. FVV had 1 good season and Graham had 1 ok season but we’re ready to go all in on them and they are both older than Randle. ****s laughable

Older guards who can shoot from 3 perform better in the NBA than older big men drafted. Off the top of my head.

CJ
Kemba
Dame
Duncan Robinson
Devonte Graham
Kendrick Nunn
FVV

Compared to:

Tyler Handboro
Kelly Olynk
Frank Kaminsky
Thomas Robinson

Except obi has more athleticism than all those dudes y'all keep listing put together. At this point not too many more moves left to be made.

Older guards who can shoot from 3 perform better in the NBA than older big men drafted. Off the top of my head.

CJ
Kemba
Dame
Duncan Robinson
Devonte Graham
Kendrick Nunn
FVV

Compared to:

Tyler Handboro
Kelly Olynk
Frank Kaminsky
Thomas Robinson

Main difference between Obi and those scrubs you listed is none of those guys were dominant in college because they were athletically gifted. Zion wasn't hyped in college because he was shooting like Steph Curry. It was because he was dunking on dudes and physically able to body guys in the post.

Thomas Robinson is the only one from that list that was physically gifted but he wasn't a shooter. If Obi can't body guys in the league then at least he can adapt his game into more of a mid-range/perimeter type forward.

Most of those guys are goofy semi athletic white guys. Bad comparisons. Obi had 2 late growth spurts and is coming into his grown man body.

Main difference between Obi and those scrubs you listed is none of those guys were dominant in college because they were athletically gifted. Zion wasn't hyped in college because he was shooting like Steph Curry. It was because he was dunking on dudes and physically able to body guys in the post.

Thomas Robinson is the only one from that list that was physically gifted but he wasn't a shooter. If Obi can't body guys in the league then at least he can adapt his game into more of a mid-range/perimeter type forward.

Ok if you dont like Thomas Robinson who has similar measurements and age. Who was similar trash as a 20/21 year old. What about #2 overall pick Derrick Williams? College POY. Super athletic too, also couldnt shoot, also didnt play defense.

Zion is a DPOY candidate and 19 years old. Obi will be 4 years older. It's not even close. Obi was not doing this at 19.

I'm worried they've been quiet bc they're gonna pull the trigger on a big name PG in a trade. I was ok with FVV for $20m a year. Jerian Grant got $20m a year and dude is nowhere near as valuable to a roster. Fred was young and no injury history and we'd give up no assets. Now if they do something crazy like trade for Russ, we're gonna lose draft picks and possibly give up a young piece to acquire him
How? The Rockets are strap and can't do ****.
Randle/DSJr/1 Dallas Mavs 1st rounder should get that deal done.

But I don't want Westbrook.

As long as we don't do anything stupid out of desperation, Ill be ****ing happy how this off-season played out.

If Knicks manage to get Terry Rozier I'm not mad at it. Dude has only 2 seasons left on his deal and has similar stats to FVV. So if we'd be able to get into half the contract length for a similar guy I'm for it
Screenshot_20201121-145611_Chrome.jpg

Ok if you dont like Thomas Robinson who has similar measurements and age. Who was similar trash as a 20/21 year old. What about #2 overall pick Derrick Williams? College POY. Super athletic too, also couldnt shoot, also didnt play defense.

Zion is a DPOY candidate and 19 years old. Obi will be 4 years older. It's not even close. Obi was not doing this at 19.

If you're scouting guys off build and playing style then you can prove that any player is a likely bust before they ever play an NBA game. How many guys in college play similarly to how Steph Curry played and come to the league and suck? There's guys you watch in college who are similar size to Dame Lillard and play just like him and come to the league and struggle.

Jimmer Fredette is 6'2 195lbs. JJ Redick is 6'4 200 lbs. very similar build and very similar playing style in college. One could barely stay on a roster and one is 10+ years deep into the league and still lights out from 3. So comparisons mean nothing. Let the dude play some games first.

More 4s that didnt reach their potential because they cant play make or play defense.

Thomas Robinson
Derrick Williams
Michael Beasley
Anthony Bennett

The only one that I can think of that panned out was Blake Griffin and thats because he can pass and was an athletic freak of nature. Now he shoots too.

I wish Obi the best, but the odds are heavily against him. He says he models his game after Anthony Davis and if true, if he can be even 20% of AD defensively then he'll be a starter for years to come. He just has to be a respectable defender.

Come on ... name the best player that came out of College like Zion.

Stupid extreme comparisons bro.

How many guys in college play similarly to how Steph Curry played and come to the league and suck? There's guys you watch in college who are similar size to Dame Lillard and play just like him and come to the league and struggle.

Curry willed arguably the worst team ever in the tournament (Davidson) to like the elite 8. None of the other shooters come close to him. None had the handle he had either. He's literally teh greatest shooter ever, at least at the guard position. Same with Lillard.

Players like Jimmer Fredette didnt have anywhere near the handle to create their own shot. Most shooters dont.

More 4s that didnt reach their potential because they cant play make or play defense.

Thomas Robinson
Derrick Williams
Michael Beasley
Anthony Bennett

The only one that I can think of that panned out was Blake Griffin and thats because he can pass and was an athletic freak of nature. Now he shoots too.

I wish Obi the best, but the odds are heavily against him. He says he models his game after Anthony Davis and if true, if he can be even 20% of AD defensively then he'll be a starter for years to come. He just has to be a respectable defender.
The odds were against a lot of players in the league but with the right coaching/work ethic and mentality the odds become a little better. So many players in the league weren’t supposed to be who they are wether good or bad.

**** all this ****.

Im good with what we have ....

.. sams roater? Hardly... all the vets taking minutes are gone minus Randle.

We have two rookies that can shoot. We signed Powell that can shoot, Iggy can shoot.

Plus we have a new coach ... let then run it.

You cant be a playmaking guard with MF that can't shoot or with vets that are hoggng the ball and with those goofy offenses.

Again the hypocrisy running rampant here.

Asking for FVV 6'1 undrafted dude but can't legit give your players a chances and are already bust before stepping on the floor or having a decent development.

You're naming players (Iggy, Quickley, Powell) that will not be getting playing time unless its a blowout.

Powell is not even signed. I think its a training camp invite. Probably play on the G League roster.

Curry willed arguably the worst team ever in the tournament (Davidson) to like the elite 8.

Steph's school is in the same division as Obi's was. And Obi went 29-2 there. Not saying Obi is even in the same category as Steph talent wise but if we're gonna say the precursor for Steph being an NBA star was his college success, then why aren't we giving Obi the benefit of a doubt? Bc other similar sized forwards before him were scrubs?

Back
Top Bottom