THE OFFICIAL ADIDAS THREAD OF JAMES HARDEN - VOLUME 8 IN LOS ANGELES (CLIPPERS)

Should Vol. 2 have a new thread or keep it here?

• Here

Votes: 56 73.7%
  • New

Votes: 20 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So, I've been hearing some things back and forth, and I hope someone can give me more insight. I am debating picking up a pair and haven't had a chance to try on yet and I don't have any boost shoes. How is the comfort compared to say the Charged in Curry shoes or brandblack shoes?

Also, by the thread heading, I take it the "Grey" or "BHM" is supposed to release on 2/2 is the grey pair with white toes?

Last edited:
Strictly focusing on comfort, I would say Boost > Jetlon > Blackfoam > Charged. That being said, the hardens are a bit clunky and heavy compared to Currys or BB models. The boost is thicker in the heel and quite thin in the forefoot, in addition to being encapsulated with the exception of the medial side. But just because you can't "feel" the boost as well as other models, doesn't mean it isn't doing its job. It's a pretty good compromise between cushion and court feel.

But boost isn't created equal either. It's not uncommon to have a slightly different feel even on the same model (or even same colorway). I had two pairs of D Rose 6 PK, one was very plush and the other was stiff. And when you look at other models, it varies even more.

The closest an Adidas basketball shoe has come to feeling like real, plush boost is the Crazy Explosive IMO. In terms of comfort I'd rank models (both lifetstyle and basketball that I've worn) something like:

Pure Boost...Ultra Boost...CE...NMD...D Rose...Harden...CLB...

Last edited:
Strictly focusing on comfort, I would say Boost > Jetlon > Blackfoam > Charged. That being said, the hardens are a bit clunky and heavy compared to Currys or BB models. The boost is thicker in the heel and quite thin in the forefoot, in addition to being encapsulated with the exception of the medial side. But just because you can't "feel" the boost as well as other models, doesn't mean it isn't doing its job. It's a pretty good compromise between cushion and court feel.

But boost isn't created equal either. It's not uncommon to have a slightly different feel even on the same model (or even same colorway). I had two pairs of D Rose 6 PK, one was very plush and the other was stiff. And when you look at other models, it varies even more.

The closest an Adidas basketball shoe has come to feeling like real, plush boost is the Crazy Explosive IMO. In terms of comfort I'd rank models (both lifetstyle and basketball that I've worn) something like:

Thanks And Repped. I will say this, I use for casual, so some of what people complain about won't really be an issue. I guess I'm best to go try them on. I don't like too much squishy-ness, but I don't want to walk on a board either. I really like the Currys and BB Force Vector and Ether. I just want something I can walk in all day without discomfort.

Interesting you labeled Crazy Light Boost last. I was thinking of getting his 2.5 PE

Last edited:
Thanks And Repped. I will say this, I use for casual, so some of what people complain about won't really be an issue. I guess I'm best to go try them on. I don't like too much squishy-ness, but I don't want to walk on a board either. I really like the Currys and BB Force Vector and Ether. I just want something I can walk in all day without discomfort.

Interesting you labeled Crazy Light Boost last. I was thinking of getting his 2.5 PE
2.5 is no bueno IMO...current CLB is far superior, and with a primeknit version coming soon it would be even better. 2.5 were just heel boost if I recall correctly.

As far as the Hardens for all day wear, you should be good. I wear mine strictly for casual wear and 6 hours go by without a thought. The first few wears had an annoying popping sound from the upper, but that went away. The one thing you have to look out for is how the leather overlay on the forefoot feels when you take a step. If you size wrong, it could cut onto the top of your foot (right around where your toes start/ball of foot) and cause discomfort.

Last edited:
2.5 is no bueno IMO...current CLB is far superior, and with a primeknit version coming soon it would be even better. 2.5 were just heel boost if I recall correctly.

As far as the Hardens for all day wear, you should be good. I wear mine strictly for casual wear and 6 hours go by without a thought. The first few wears had an annoying popping sound from the upper, but that went away. The one thing you have to look out for is how the leather overlay on the forefoot feels when you take a step. If you size wrong, it could cut onto the top of your foot (right around where your toes start/ball of foot) and cause discomfort.

Thanks for the bro. Repped.

Man, these are almost perfect, in my opinion. Deciding between these and "Pioneers"

I own both the Harden's and Curry 3's - I like each shoe in it's own right. It's very hard for me to say take Shoe A over Shoe B cause it's usually not so black and white. If anything, it's easiest to compare one iteration of a sig to the previous one, or to something similar in cut, like two low tops, or two mids, etc.

Having said that, I like the Harden's because they went with a low-top that did not try to be minimalistic. When I say that, I feel like most of the lows you see in hoops shoes try to be super light and have minimal cushioning so the weight distribution is even if they go ultrathin on the upper, etc. The Harden's went for the luxury feel in a low top shoe, which I can respect. The ultra soft leather on the toe cap on the Pioneers (pair I own) and the thick tongue and full-length boost show that they were willing to beef up a shoe that's a low, which I can't really remember the last time that was done... well.

In a way, it's kind of symbolic of the player the shoe is modeled after - Harden comes across as a smaller, quicker guard, but when you see him in person you see just how jacked the dude is and how strong his style of play is.

The Curry 3's are very comfortable and the cushioning is far different than the Harden's - the Vol1s give you a somewhat responsive but very close feel to the court, whereas the Curry 3s seem to be more plush with just the right firmness (for me, at least). They remind me a lot of the old T-Mac shoes adidas used to put out, especially the 3rd Tmacs, ironically. I like the upper on the Currys and think the fit is fantastic, overall a great shoe but it seems clunky at times.

My point in saying all this is I would recommend the Currys to one person depending on what they look for and the Hardens to others. For what it's worth, I hoop in my Harden's far more than the Currys as I find them to be the most overall comfortable shoe I've owned in a while, but that's just me, and I have an affinity for lows anyways :tongue:

Having said that, I like the Harden's because they went with a low-top that did not try to be minimalistic. When I say that, I feel like most of the lows you see in hoops shoes try to be super light and have minimal cushioning so the weight distribution is even if they go ultrathin on the upper, etc. The Harden's went for the luxury feel in a low top shoe, which I can respect. The ultra soft leather on the toe cap on the Pioneers (pair I own) and the thick tongue and full-length boost show that they were willing to beef up a shoe that's a low, which I can't really remember the last time that was done... well.

In a way, it's kind of symbolic of the player the shoe is modeled after - Harden comes across as a smaller, quicker guard, but when you see him in person you see just how jacked the dude is and how strong his style of play is.

This is exactly how I feel about the Harden Vol 1s. Yes, they feel bulky when you compare them to Kobes and Company because Kobes & Co. have been stripped down to minimum requirements to play ball, which although has been revolutionary in some cases, leads to the player (like me) wanting a lil bit more. I love the fact that in hand, they feel like an actual shoe.. as opposed to the newest "lightweight" concoction. And the most important thing is they don't feel bulky to me atleast on court.. as a matter of fact..sometimes I even forget they're on (this is of course all after breaking in)

Last edited:
I own both the Harden's and Curry 3's - I like each shoe in it's own right. It's very hard for me to say take Shoe A over Shoe B cause it's usually not so black and white. If anything, it's easiest to compare one iteration of a sig to the previous one, or to something similar in cut, like two low tops, or two mids, etc.

The Curry 3's are very comfortable and the cushioning is far different than the Harden's - the Vol1s give you a somewhat responsive but very close feel to the court, whereas the Curry 3s seem to be more plush with just the right firmness (for me, at least). They remind me a lot of the old T-Mac shoes adidas used to put out, especially the 3rd Tmacs, ironically. I like the upper on the Currys and think the fit is fantastic, overall a great shoe but it seems clunky at times.

My point in saying all this is I would recommend the Currys to one person depending on what they look for and the Hardens to others. For what it's worth, I hoop in my Harden's far more than the Currys as I find them to be the most overall comfortable shoe I've owned in a while, but that's just me, and I have an affinity for lows anyways :tongue:

That's a good point about not seeing too many non minimalistic lows. I know it's not a popular shoe but the Kobe AD gives me that feeling as well (I find Hardens and ADs play similarly for me). They do seem like a beefier low, like Adidas wanted to improve the CLB 2016 for him.

these still better than the kyrie's performance wise tho? i wonder

Back
Top Bottom