THE OFFICIAL ADIDAS THREAD OF JAMES HARDEN - VOLUME 8 IN LOS ANGELES (CLIPPERS)

Should Vol. 2 have a new thread or keep it here?

• Here

Votes: 56 73.7%
  • New

Votes: 20 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Its really soft as I'm sinking into it. However I'm not so sure I'm feeling any bounce back/"energy return" from the boost. It's not like a zoom bag that propels you back up. Idk if it's because the forefoot is too thin but I'll keep using them because everything else on point

That's how I feel about Boost as well with basketball. When I wear my Vol 2 more casually you can feel the Boost kind of like zoom in that it does give some feedback, but when you start playing in them and really put torque on the forefoot Boost it feels like it has just bottomed out and you don't feel that feedback anymore. Then, when I wear them the next day it feels like it gives feedback again until I play in them and becomes firm.

Played in my 3s for the first time and it was in the middle of a game so it's hard to really judge. I don't really have any complaints so far but the boost is very foreign to me as it is my first boost shoe ever. I don't really know how to describe how it feels
I like Boost cushioning, but the best way that I can describe it as it's just there and I don't really notice it that much so that's kind of a good thing. Zoom will always be my favorite but compared to other foam cushioning like Lunarlon, Phylon, Cushlon, etc Boost is just as good if not better. Some Boost models seem to have really thin forefoot cushioning so when that happens I'll usually swap out the stock insole and replace it with something thicker.

With the stock locate, will the same pricing apply from Foot Locker since they’re “sister companies” or does it have to be Champ’s price? They ran out of my size of the black reds I wanted to get and Champs has them online with the barcode.

So some observations after playing in my Stepbacks for around 4 hrs (plus casual wear to reduce any break in):

The Boost is definitely more noticeable and softer, even down to the actual outsole itself is even softer. I can literally nearly push into the Boost itself from the outsole of my Stepbacks, while my Ignite Maroon the sole is rock hard and you can barely even press into it. It’s actually to the point where I am afraid of the Boost bottoming out quickly because it is that soft and spongy (especially in the forefoot, my goodness it is spongy and soft but so low to the ground bouncy).

Here is where I am confused....

This is my 4th pair (technically, including sizing returns). All of the pairs I have had EXCEPT for these Stepbacks have had a hard outsole and really firm Boost to where it nearly feels dead. Maybe the Stepbacks are a bad pair?

I will probably go ahead and return my Maroon Ignites, get my money back, and use that to buy another pair from Foot Locker while the sale is going on.

9E271F86-E2A4-410D-977E-C28B61503235.jpeg

Doubt a better color than these will drop.

Hated the silhouette when the first pics game out.

Tried them on in store and was sold.

Adidas is still letting them go for $69 in an MVP season (posted my receipt a few pages back).

There won’t be a better performer this year. They’re basically the Kobe 8’s with better impact protection. The fit is flawless.

So some observations after playing in my Stepbacks for around 4 hrs (plus casual wear to reduce any break in):

The Boost is definitely more noticeable and softer, even down to the actual outsole itself is even softer. I can literally nearly push into the Boost itself from the outsole of my Stepbacks, while my Ignite Maroon the sole is rock hard and you can barely even press into it. It’s actually to the point where I am afraid of the Boost bottoming out quickly because it is that soft and spongy (especially in the forefoot, my goodness it is spongy and soft but so low to the ground bouncy).

Here is where I am confused....

This is my 4th pair (technically, including sizing returns). All of the pairs I have had EXCEPT for these Stepbacks have had a hard outsole and really firm Boost to where it nearly feels dead. Maybe the Stepbacks are a bad pair?

I will probably go ahead and return my Maroon Ignites, get my money back, and use that to buy another pair from Foot Locker while the sale is going on.

Wow. I have not had pairs with that noticeable of a difference even when pushing on the sole. Your stepbacks sound more like my pairs of the V2s, so I'm curious what your next pair feels like. I hope your next pair is good and the stepbacks work out for you and don't bottom out significantly.

Wow. I have not had pairs with that noticeable of a difference even when pushing on the sole. Your stepbacks sound more like my pairs of the V2s, so I'm curious what your next pair feels like. I hope your next pair is good and the stepbacks work out for you and don't bottom out significantly.

So the sole of your pairs are softer and the Boost is noticeably soft? That is just so crazy to me, ugh I’m gonna just give up lol. I wish I just knew what I was buying! With Zoom you ALWAYS know what it feels like for the most part, and even Brandblack foams. I’ve never had this much inconsistency with a cushioning system before :rofl::smh:

This how the footbed underneath my insole looks on my new pair.
879EBE82-3E6A-41C0-9E19-6E1726547013.jpeg

Last edited:

Adidas is still letting them go for $69 in an MVP season (posted my receipt a few pages back).

There won’t be a better performer this year. They’re basically the Kobe 8’s with better impact protection. The fit is flawless.

100% agree with everything except the first point. My favorite color in terms of the regular releases so far... the Drew League Vol 3's.

i saw the white colorway and got interested in this model. Ended up picking the space invader colorway ( the pink from the tongue bleeds on white socks if anyone's interested)

I agree that it is like a kobe, but way better as I hate drop in midsoles. These are very reliable shoes

So the sole of your pairs are softer and the Boost is noticeably soft? That is just so crazy to me, ugh I’m gonna just give up lol. I wish I just knew what I was buying! With Zoom you ALWAYS know what it feels like for the most part, and even Brandblack foams. I’ve never had this much inconsistency with a cushioning system before :rofl::smh:

This how the footbed underneath my insole looks on my new pair.
879EBE82-3E6A-41C0-9E19-6E1726547013.jpeg

That is how my shoes look under the insole and the boost has been bouncy and softish in my V2s. Not sure why your other pairs were different. Maybe you are just jinxed when it comes to Boost. Might be time to save up and just get the Kobe Protro 4s if zoom works better for you.

That is how my shoes look under the insole and the boost has been bouncy and softish in my V2s. Not sure why your other pairs were different. Maybe you are just jinxed when it comes to Boost. Might be time to save up and just get the Kobe Protro 4s if zoom works better for you.

Haha true, I hate that I gave away my Kobe IVs. Boost is definitely better for my joints and it seems like it will definitely give me some more years to be able to play competitively. I have been sticking with foams for some years now so it may be time to give thick Zoom a try again if this next pair of Hardens are duds.

I too have been playing mostly in shoes with foam cushioning the last few years. I find I get a more consistent cushioning experience and it's felt better on my old knees and back. I like the zoom setup in the Kobe Protro 1s and KD11s (too bad the rest of that shoe was garbage for playing ball). If Nike uses those zoom setups in more shoes moving forward (like the Kobe Protro 4), then I will start playing in zoom more often again.

I too have been playing mostly in shoes with foam cushioning the last few years. I find I get a more consistent cushioning experience and it's felt better on my old knees and back. I like the zoom setup in the Kobe Protro 1s and KD11s (too bad the rest of that shoe was garbage for playing ball). If Nike uses those zoom setups in more shoes moving forward (like the Kobe Protro 4), then I will start playing in zoom more often again.

Good to hear there are other good non-foam options (even though Zoom really started the whole bouncy cushioning lol), thanks for sharing!

For reference sake, here is how the footbed looks on the pair I’m sending back tomorrow:

image.jpg

Yeah, that doesn’t look right. The strobel is supposed to be flat with little to know mark off of the boost underneath. Almost looks vacuum packed or shrink wrapped. This could explain the dense feeling underneath.

Yeah, that doesn’t look right. The strobel is supposed to be flat with little to know mark off of the boost underneath. Almost looks vacuum packed or shrink wrapped. This could explain the dense feeling underneath.

That’s crazy, and that’s how my Rose 6 looks also underneath the insole. So that’s how I will check from now on, thanks si3n4 si3n4 ! Sending them back and ordering a pair on Foot Locker!

I was going to try and build a pair of custom V3s today, but it appears that Adidas just recently discontinued the Mi Adidas program. Bummer.

Fourth time playing in these, it's like not wearing shoes. Just had to wipe every few stops so traction isn't as good as the lebron 16s. I went tts, no foot movement in the shoe and a perfect plush fit

Decided to mess around a little with my first pair since they were only $50 from footlocker. Painted the red stripes and eyelets black and changed the laces, I like them a lot better now. Great hoop shoes but still vol 3's are best of the 3 for me.
2019-01-16 05.03.22 1.jpg
those look better to me too. Anything to tone them down a bit.

Fourth time playing in these, it's like not wearing shoes. Just had to wipe every few stops so traction isn't as good as the lebron 16s. I went tts, no foot movement in the shoe and a perfect plush fit
I assume you're talking about the V3s and if so, I agree. According to the scale they're not a light shoe by any means but when you lace them up it feels like nothing's there.

I was going to try and build a pair of custom V3s today, but it appears that Adidas just recently discontinued the Mi Adidas program. Bummer.
That is crazy and disappointing. Didn’t foresee mi adidas going away. Glad I ordered my last couple of pairs before the holidays.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom