The Official Anime & Manga Thread Vol: 三

I’ve read exactly one arc of one piece, on an island with a like... ghost scientist or some ****?

What episode is that around in the anime? I’ll just skip ahead there :lol:

Should I pick black clover back up?
way too many Naruto similarities and when they revealed the demon in Asta I was out

The anime’s cool and just hit its stride these last 20-30 eps. The pacing is atrocious though. Feels like there 10-15 mins long. But I’ll admit the plot is pretty obvious and basically Naruto/Bleach with wizards.

Julius Novachrono is that dude.

What’s it about
Got suggested after I watched a few eps of Baki.

It's a simple tournament where fighters who represent corporations fight to be declared the strongest and for the winning Corporation to gain more wealth, power, and control.

They breakdown various fighting techniques and martial art styles during fights to get more in depth with the art of fighting. Also has some humor to it with an old man that gets caught up in the plot.

12 eps in the first part 1. Part 2 streams end of next month.

Last edited:
If you like Kengan Ashura, then you'll love the spinoff series Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru?
It's great to watch. :lol:

If you like Kengan Ashura, then you'll love the spinoff series Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru?
It's great to watch. :lol:
Man I googled this and off images alone looks like some super fan service and possibly senien :lol:

Last edited:
Man a Straw Hat better bite the dust this arc... Fingers crossed for Ussop's *itc*-*ss
Chill man, Merry already died :lol:

RT though, their crew is so small yet they're (going to be) a legendary crew. Everyone also has a specific purpose with no redundancies. I wouldn't be surprised if no one ends up being killed off, and kinda feels better that way. I doubt Shanks has taken many, if any, losses in his small crew either.

Man a Straw Hat better bite the dust this arc... Fingers crossed for Ussop's *itc*-*ss

Not happening. Might see one of the red scabbards or some minks die, but I don't see any straw hat's journey ending here. If Oda still plans to do number chapters for the crew then Chopper and Robin still haven't gotten theirs. But idk if he abandoned that.

The editor of promised neverland did a really good interview recently. I'll post the highlights I found on Twitter
  • When he was editor for One Piece Oda told him that One Piece is a deliberate subversion of Dragon Ball in the sense he wanted the story to be complex, have many more characters, and have small details be important to the plot where as Dragon Ball is a very simple story.
  • With that in mind he made the decision to have TPN focus on plot more than characters so it could stand out in JUMP and a lot of the popularity is due to it being different than other jump titles
  • He also wanted to use the tactic of small details influencing plot and having plenty of cliffhangers
  • Jump prioritizes new creators over established talent so they can try to stay ahead
  • He feels like adversity is a relic in manga, but there's more a theme now of being betrayed by adults and society in manga.
  • He feels that people under 30 can identity and like Emma as the main character of a series in a magazine for boys because the ability she has to step in to a situation and take the reins is a masculine kind of ideal that they respect. He thinks it also helps that "weak boys are more common now" and lack of machismo is a characteristic in young people who are more accepting of non-binary people and the LGBTQ community than older generations. Changing gender perceptions is important in Japanese youth market so having a female main character is big there.
  • Youth audiences are also more accepting of weird / unexpected series while older audiences are more inflexible in their taste
  • There's a trend in the industry that it's good when the main character isn't the absolute focus because young people appreciate everyone having a meaningful role and perspective, but the next trend may be a story where the hero has an overwhelming presence.
  • Hopes to keep pushing for Jump to add manga series that are unique and people haven't seen before.

Not happening. Might see one of the red scabbards or some minks die, but I don't see any straw hat's journey ending here. If Oda still plans to do number chapters for the crew then Chopper and Robin still haven't gotten theirs. But idk if he abandoned that.

The editor of promised neverland did a really good interview recently. I'll post the highlights I found on Twitter
  • When he was editor for One Piece Oda told him that One Piece is a deliberate subversion of Dragon Ball in the sense he wanted the story to be complex, have many more characters, and have small details be important to the plot where as Dragon Ball is a very simple story.
  • With that in mind he made the decision to have TPN focus on plot more than characters so it could stand out in JUMP and a lot of the popularity is due to it being different than other jump titles
  • He also wanted to use the tactic of small details influencing plot and having plenty of cliffhangers
  • Jump prioritizes new creators over established talent so they can try to stay ahead
  • He feels like adversity is a relic in manga, but there's more a theme now of being betrayed by adults and society in manga.
  • He feels that people under 30 can identity and like Emma as the main character of a series in a magazine for boys because the ability she has to step in to a situation and take the reins is a masculine kind of ideal that they respect. He thinks it also helps that "weak boys are more common now" and lack of machismo is a characteristic in young people who are more accepting of non-binary people and the LGBTQ community than older generations. Changing gender perceptions is important in Japanese youth market so having a female main character is big there.
  • Youth audiences are also more accepting of weird / unexpected series while older audiences are more inflexible in their taste
  • There's a trend in the industry that it's good when the main character isn't the absolute focus because young people appreciate everyone having a meaningful role and perspective, but the next trend may be a story where the hero has an overwhelming presence.
  • Hopes to keep pushing for Jump to add manga series that are unique and people haven't seen before.
Super cool interview, very perceptive regarding trends both current and future in the industry. Some of the highest rated manga in the past five years have had heavy emphasis on plot - the biggest noisemaker probably being Attack on Titan

New OP - so many old faces

tenor.gif

No way is a straw hat dying any time soon :lol: What manga ya think you're reading?

Just to be clear w/e happened with Sabo was not revealed in the chapter right? Kept alluding to it with reactions but then just moved on to the main big news.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom