*****The Official "Anything About Money" Thread***

can anyone suggest ways for me to gain credit? im 19 years old, no credit card. living at home while going to a major university. and im just looking for quick ways to build up credit. any help would be great. THANKS
NEED LIST: Undefeated Dunk, Pinstripe Blazer, De La Soul Hi Dunk, GM Vandal (size 9.5 or 10)
For Sale: Blue Patent Avenger Dunk sz10, Reebok Answer V sz10 blk/blk, Jordan XIV blk/red sz8
TEAM SD MEMBER #31

^ look into some student credit cards. Find one that works for you. For Ex no interest for a certian period. Some like mine are for 12 months. just make sure you don't OD on spending.
Check dudes like the swish on the Nikes. My lifes a motion picture take a lookin if you like.

Switchin it up....Got caught slippen..Thanks Currtiiss

Buying a home is one of the worst investment ever. I live with my parents and we bought a home last year and we have lost over like $60,000

Buying a home is not the worst investment, just because you had a bad esperience doesn't mean everyone will. You bought it during the housing boom.Prices have leveled off in most areas, and even gone down in some. If you bought a home to live in and got the standard 20+ year mortgage you shouldn't worry. You will see more housing booms, and more housing crashes. While the value may have gone down 60K this year, by next year it might be up 40.
Anyone that says money didn't change them, just hasn't made enough.
Team AM FAM
www.jumpmansneakers.com

my bad i wasnt tryin to say it was the worst investment ever. i was talkin about my experience

Understandable, to see a loss of $40,000 within less than a year at first will make you scared. But you have to be smart about it. Why would you move a year after you bought a new home?
Anyone that says money didn't change them, just hasn't made enough.
Team AM FAM
www.jumpmansneakers.com

the thing is that my parents are thinking now the value of our house is really down and my dad thinks that now its going to take years by the time it goes up and by the time it goes up we would have spent even more money paying for the house monthly.

shouldnt really think of your primary residence as an investment...just look at it as home and ur fine. You are never really gonna make money off of it because when you move, both your house and the house you move to have gone up in value. It is def better than renting though.
TEAM FINANCE​
No one ever got rich working​

How's it going everyone? First off, I want to thank every one in this post for the information they are contributing and the fact that every one is trying to help each other really is pleasing to me. I am a fairly new member and I have read every comment in here from the first one and I have learned a lot. I am a college student and the information I have received in this thread is almost better than all of the classes I have taken this year.

I have a couple questions and this might be long so sorry. I have about a thousand dollars saved up right now and just sitting in my account. I have a couple hundred dollars in there too and I really don't use that much money so I was wondering what I should do with that thousand. The ING thing sounds good but do I need anything to pre-qualify, and how easy is it, is it just a sign up, provide your information and I can transfer the money in there from my bank account? And do I get 5% interest a month, or 5% a year?

I also have about a hundred dollars coming to me each month from my parents so I was wondering what I should do with that? should I just put it in the ING, or buy some stock with it? If I want to buy stock, how much should I save up before I starting buying? I was looking to buy a railroad stock like Union Pacific about a year and a half ago, and I was a fool for not doing so because the stock has done very well this year and I read that Warren Buffett picked railroad stocks as well. What are some cheap stocks that I could invest in that would give me a steady return over the long run; I don't really want to strike it rich but instead want it for the future.

I also wanted to apply for a credit card but I was rejected and I don't really know why but I think it is because I did not have that much money in my bank, or because I used to spend almost every cent I had in my bank except for like 20 dollars. How can I build credit? By writing checks instead of swiping my debit?

Lastly, I just switched my major from Human Physiology to Accounting. I started out wanting to be a doctor but after all the chem classes I took this year, I really do not want to continue with that. I was wondering, for those who have majored accounting or finance, what they have done with it and what would be some great tips on things like the classes they took and recommend, the jobs they held and at what company, and basically what I should do to prepare myself to be the most successful. My goal is to work for a company like Nike, or be a vice president or top executive and I basically will do anything, read any book it takes. I don't want to sound like an idiot but I am pretty smart and I work hard so I don't mind having to do a lot of things so please let me know what has helped you.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Quote:
The ING thing sounds good but do I need anything to pre-qualify, and how easy is it, is it just a sign up, provide your information and I can transfer the money in there from my bank account? And do I get 5% interest a month, or 5% a year?

I also have about a hundred dollars coming to me each month from my parents so I was wondering what I should do with that? should I just put it in the ING, or buy some stock with it? If I want to buy stock, how much should I save up before I starting buying? I was looking to buy a railroad stock like Union Pacific about a year and a half ago, and I was a fool for not doing so because the stock has done very well this year and I read that Warren Buffett picked railroad stocks as well. What are some cheap stocks that I could invest in that would give me a steady return over the long run; I don't really want to strike it rich but instead want it for the future.

I also wanted to apply for a credit card but I was rejected and I don't really know why but I think it is because I did not have that much money in my bank, or because I used to spend almost every cent I had in my bank except for like 20 dollars. How can I build credit? By writing checks instead of swiping my debit?

Lastly, I just switched my major from Human Physiology to Accounting. I started out wanting to be a doctor but after all the chem classes I took this year, I really do not want to continue with that. I was wondering, for those who have majored accounting or finance, what they have done with it and what would be some great tips on things like the classes they took and recommend, the jobs they held and at what company, and basically what I should do to prepare myself to be the most successful. My goal is to work for a company like Nike, or be a vice president or top executive and I basically will do anything, read any book it takes. I don't want to sound like an idiot but I am pretty smart and I work hard so I don't mind having to do a lot of things so please let me know what has helped you.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.
and the APR is 4.5% annual (for the year) and yes you can transfer the money in there from your bank account.

If youre not that knowledgable about stocks I would just save your money for now and gain more knowledge about stocks.

Since you were rejected for a credit card you can request a free credit report for you to see your credit score and credit summary. This should give you more detail on how your credit is looking.

If your goal is to work for Nike and be a top executive accounting is a good look. You should look into becoming an auditor and you will be able to learn more about how companies are ran. If you get a job with one of the big accounting firms that will look great on your resume and enhance your quest to work in Nike.
Go here 2 learn how to make an easy $1,000 each month while online

If you signed up under me pm me your 6 digit ID # for some gift cards

Lowest rates on travel guaranteed here

anyone else have input for me to gain credit besides the student credit card thing? thank for the info on the credit card VABUCKETS. much apprecieated.
NEED LIST: Undefeated Dunk, Pinstripe Blazer, De La Soul Hi Dunk, GM Vandal (size 9.5 or 10)
For Sale: Blue Patent Avenger Dunk sz10, Reebok Answer V sz10 blk/blk, Jordan XIV blk/red sz8
TEAM SD MEMBER #31

just apply for a credit card from capital one. i never had a credit card or what ever and i just applied for capital one and tey gave me one

so the whole ING thing is yearly, and how much do i need to start it? what are the pros and cons? and can i get an invite?
whats better ING or HSBC? i see ING has a 4.5% and HSBC has 5.05%

so i just signed up and i was wonderign if i gotta file this in my taxes?? and if i dont whats the consequences
^^Click and make money online 100% FREE and LEGIT^^​
LAKERS ALL DAY
KOBE PLEASE STAY

guys, like i posted on the previous page. www.fnbodirect.com 6% until october i think. After that it will be competetive with hsbc and if not just switch!
TEAM FINANCE​
No one ever got rich working​

Any have Google stock?

Their shh has really jumped up over the past few weeks. Anyone reason why?

I remember it was hovering around 46x.xx a few weeks ago now its in the $510 range. Whats goin on?

Also I would like to buy into LG (Life's Good).. They are a South Korean brand so how would I go about buying their stock?
Love me, hate me, or simply tolerate me

Quote:
Buying a home is one of the worst investment ever. I live with my parents and we bought a home last year and we have lost over like $60,000
:stoneface:
indifferent.gif

No buying a home you cannot afford is a horrible investment.
Edit- I take back the stoneface, I read what you wrote later. Unless your into the business of flipping homes, why would you move or even look to move after your first year? Generally, after the purchase of a home (within reason, depending on market/area) the value drops and then takes at least a year to build up again.
If you're in SF, that may not be as true.

Quote:
I remember it was hovering around 46x.xx a few weeks ago now its in the $510 range. Whats goin on?
ICE Blue X's on ebay RIGHT now!

Quote:
Also I would like to buy into LG (Life's Good).. They are a South Korean brand so how would I go about buying their stock?

With LG Group, the conglomerate symbol 003550.KS, they list in S.Korea on the KOSPI.They have different subsidiaries,but LG Group should be what you're looking for.Im not familiar with buying Korean stocks so I dont know how you can buy shares.

But, what you can buy is LG Phillips LCD, symbol LPL listed on the NYSE. This is not the MAIN LG COMPANY, this is just the LG-Phillips joint venture that focuses mainly on LCD technology.

Hope that helps a little bit

Quote:
Their shh has really jumped up over the past few weeks. Anyone reason why?
TEAMYANKEES

Is it possible for a 23 year old who makes 25-30,000 a year to start some type of small business with a small investment? If so what would be the first step? Thanks in advance
and to answer your question, yes i'm from Detroit

Back
Top Bottom