The Official "Ask A Light-Skinned Person" Post Vol. I

Tudor Oak representing (depending on how the lighting is
laugh.gif
)

8 March 1991 - The day New Jack City released. Also the day dark skinnned dudes came back into power. When Wesley Snipes stabbed ol' buddy in the hand and told G-Money to "sit yo $5 #++ down before I make change", the transfer of power was complete.

1980's: Lightskinned Cats (thanks to Prince, MJ, the little gay dude from The Last Dragon

1990's: Dark Skinned Cats (Michael Jordan, BIG, 2Pac, DMX, Wesley Snipes, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Tyson Beckford, etc)

2000's: Dark Skinned Cats (50 Cent, etc)

2010's: Light Skinned Cats (so far)......Barack Obama, Drake, etc

laugh.gif

All jokes aside, this could be an interesting thread. Coming from the opposite end of the spectrum.

Firstly, just being a black man anywhere in the world is something special in itself. We definitely got it the hardest. When I clown on my fairer skinned bredren, it's all jokes.

Due to growing up as a military brat, race or skin shade was probably the furthest thing from anyone's minds. You were either American or German, we didn't even differentiate between white or black. I still remember the exact moment when that peaceful existence was shattered tho'. It was in VA which has to be capital of lightskinned people for obvious reasons. This young lady named Amber was the object of my desire. Lightskinned, long pretty hair, FRECKLES, always smelled good, etc. We were only in like 4th or 5th grade but I would've married her back then. Anyways I asked her to be my Valentines and she told me she didn't like dark skinned black people. This confused me for awhile because I really didn't see color at the time. Then things at home were terrible. My mother's ex husband was lightskinned along with his kids (my step-brothers and sisters). Dude would tell me I had to shower longer because I was darker, or I had to wait until everybody made their plate before I could make mine for dinner, and then make a comment about how dark I was, etc. At first I thought I was getting !$@*!@$ on because I was the only kid who wasn't his but after a couple thousand remarks concerining my skin color from him and his family it kinda started to set in that I was different.

When me moved back to the hood, I was very out of my element. Imagine going from living on base in one of the most diverse populaces ever, to being around nothing but hood black folks. I was terrified. I think the only reason I was never tried tho' besides my cousins being killers, was my skin complexion and because I didn't smile much. Dark skinned + not smiling = second thoughts about trying that young man. If only cats would've known how shook I was inside tho'!

Anyhow, I grew up, got out into the world, couple chicks here told me they didn't do dark skinned cats. Ok, cool there's a gang of %*#%%*% over there that think I'm exotic. That's about the extent of discrimination I've recieved on behalf of my skin tone. Most dark skinned people are extremely bitter but that was never my personality. I always got called "the white kid trapped inside the black dude's body" because of my military upbrining. I think that overshadowed my skin shade. Where as most dark skinned cats are angry and unapproachable, I was always cool and laidback. I just saw people for who they were. Ya'll would see lightskinned Chris, I would see Chris who can draw, or Chris who has the trampoline in his backyard.

As a fully grown man now, it's all comical. I joke, one of the coolest cats I met on here (Jthagreat) is one of those Chico Debarge looking dudes but that's the homie.
laugh.gif
I think it was more of an issue back in the day when blacks were fighting for equality but mixed people were half white so they were like, well I'm riding with the people who are running +#@@. I see it now in the Hispanic countries. There are endless South Americans in Italy...dudes darker than me who will look you in the eye and say they don't have any African blood in them.
roll.gif
. Americans are more evolved, we gotta set the standard for the rest of the world yo. That's the way I see it.

You know what's hilarious?...it took a sub-par rapper to make light skinned people feel like they're "in". Personally I don't think anyone ever went anywhere.

There are equally popular crispy rappers out right now (no names)
laugh.gif
,......if you think Drake needed to EXIST to legitimize you in anyway...your skin color is the least of your problems

Illuztrious wrote:

Due to growing up as a military brat, race or skin shade was probably the furthest thing from anyone's minds. You were either American or German, we didn't even differentiate between white or black. I still remember the exact moment when that peaceful existence was shattered tho'. It was in VA which has to be capital of lightskinned people for obvious reasons. This young lady named Amber was the object of my desire. Lightskinned, long pretty hair, FRECKLES, always smelled good, etc. We were only in like 4th or 5th grade but I would've married her back then. Anyways I asked her to be my Valentines and she told me she didn't like dark skinned black people. This confused me for awhile because I really didn't see color at the time. Then things at home were terrible. My mother's ex husband was lightskinned along with his kids (my step-brothers and sisters). Dude would tell me I had to shower longer because I was darker, or I had to wait until everybody made their plate before I could make mine for dinner, and then make a comment about how dark I was, etc. At first I thought I was getting !$@*!@$ on because I was the only kid who wasn't his but after a couple thousand remarks concerining my skin color from him and his family it kinda started to set in that I was different.

yoooooooo, this is me right here...i always tell people when i was in germany there was no race...just american kids and german kids and i lived off base in a german neighborhood...my god parents are german and barely speak english...

my first day of school in VA a girl called me the N-word and it was a wrap from there...i lived in a white neighborhood in the burbs tho...she shattered my raceless world at that point...

some of those white kids were on some other stuff as far as race went...like we would all be cool one day and then we get to HS and its N-this and N-that...not all of them of course but enough for you to   
grin.gif
 x
tired.gif
 at kids you thought you were cool with...

i can honestly say i never got picked on for being DS tho...from boys or girls...

AntonLaVey:

To answer your questions, admittedly, there is no true demarcation (if you will) between the different complexions and skin tones among those of African descent.  If anything, Most of this is psychologically programmed into our psyches from our childhood up until the point that while we may not talk about it, we know there is something different between lighter-skinned Black people and darker-skinned Black people.

aThievinGenIus:

Contrary to popular belief, light-skinned people never went out of style.  Don't believe the hype.
tired.gif

dunks87:

I agree with you.  The main reason I made this post was because I thought it would be a candid look at segregation within our own race, but it does raise a lot of different questions.  I know I've dealt with varying degrees of foolishness based on the fact that I'm light-skinned when I was younger, and even now to an extent.

Illuztrious and mytmouse76:

This must be something akin to military brats, because this is the exact same mentality I had growing up, except in my case it was you were either American or Hispanic where we lived.  Since my father was an American and my Mom was Hispanic, I was always used to enjoying the best of both worlds.  At school I had classmates that were everything from Portuguese to Korean, and when we moved back to the States, I was extremely out-of-place.  I wasn't taught to use the N' word in any context, so it was weird to see people throwing it around like it was nothing.

Any more questions?

Originally Posted by Swag4Days

Originally Posted by aThievinGenIus

will they ever come back in style?

And if so how long do you plan on staying?

Medium Oak if that matters
we haven't nor are we going to. but see if we flip it on "darker" skinned people they get all upset and defensive, yet we yellow ones are "soft" 
eyes.gif

I hate these types of threads .

what does you being "light skinned" have to do with anything .

i mean maybe with the black folks it does but you wrote that your mixed and 7 out of 10 times if you are mixed with black you come out light skin
or brown colored , And you Dominican ?

i love all types of sistas and im a white boi with flava but da dark girls got them cherokee bootys alot of da times .

Originally Posted by dunks87

Originally Posted by Swag4Days

Originally Posted by aThievinGenIus

will they ever come back in style?

And if so how long do you plan on staying?

Medium Oak if that matters
we haven't nor are we going to. but see if we flip it on "darker" skinned people they get all upset and defensive, yet we yellow ones are "soft" 
eyes.gif

...And this is one of the things in that stays in the back of my head when it comes to society and how people think in terms of race and the like.  It's so wrong to say anything about people that may be that much darker than we are, just because we're supposedly so fortunate to be light-skinned.  Don't get me wrong, I'm proud of who I am, but it's more so pride in who I am and not as much as what I am.  In that vein, I can relate to what General Johnson said earlier in this post.

Whatever the case may be, I find many different types of women attractive.  I don't know where this stereotype that light-skinned people think they're better than everyone else came from...
eyes.gif

LOLOL was waitin for Illuztrious to see this thread.

i completely agree about the military aspect. when you come up in such diverse groups, The S!!! really doesnt matter. As i got into HS, the Race S!!! came into play, but by that time, i was mature/educated enough to see it as BS

As far as what complexion is black. I seen a thing on Oprah (dont judge me) and they divided the audience by whether you were darker then a brown paper bag...that S!!! always stuck with me for some reason....

but the way my faather raised me, if you got any black in you, NEGRO YOU black.

With all that said, its all jokes. S!!! in HS thats all i had for the Dark Skinned dudes "hatin on me cause im beatiful" (lol i cant help myself) but if you unable to recognize the ignorance in the jokes, then i truly feel sorry for you cause WE ALL have came to far, to allow our own "division" to be our downfall.

BUT ILL BE THE 1st To admit, Society, TV or what have does not give us many portrayals of Beautiful dark skinned women. and it dont help that in my mainly white area, the black girls fell into the lesbian phase....good day, IM Done.

Originally Posted by jthagreat

i completely agree about the military aspect. when you come up in such diverse groups, The S!!! really doesnt matter. As i got into HS, the Race S!!! came into play, but by that time, i was mature/educated enough to see it as BS

As far as what complexion is black. I seen a thing on Oprah (dont judge me) and they divided the audience by whether you were darker then a brown paper bag...that S!!! always stuck with me for some reason....

With all that said, its all jokes. S!!! in HS thats all i had for the Dark Skinned dudes "hatin on me cause im beatiful" (lol i cant help myself) but if you unable to recognize the ignorance in the jokes, then i truly feel sorry for you cause WE ALL have came to far, to allow our own "division" to be our downfall.

BUT ILL BE THE 1st To admit, Society, TV or what have does not give us many portrayals of Beautiful dark skinned women. and it dont help that in my mainly white area, the black girls fell into the lesbian phase....good day, IM Done.
That's probably why being light-skinned is such a big thing in my hometown back in Georgia.  I know some of the local debutante clubs had a way of letting girls in back in the day where they did what was called "the paper bag test."  Basically, if a girl was darker than a paper bag, she couldn't be a debutante.  It's crazy how we treat our own people...
smh.gif

lemonade, light bright, high yellow, light skinned, yellow bone, red bone, white skin,

i been called em all.

sig check
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by LESfamilia

Originally Posted by jthagreat

That's probably why being light-skinned is such a big thing in my hometown back in Georgia.  I know some of the local debutante clubs had a way of letting girls in back in the day where they did what was called "the paper bag test."  Basically, if a girl was darker than a paper bag, she couldn't be a debutante.  It's crazy how we treat our own people...
smh.gif

damn i was just getting ready to pop in Spike Lee's School Days too...

Originally Posted by SoFreakinWavy

lemonade, light bright, high yellow, light skinned, yellow bone, red bone, white skin,

i been called em all.
co-sign

it doesn't bother me tho, i go on a bunch of africans i know.  its back and forth, nothing to be catching feelings over
g

It's so funny, because once people find out I'm also Hispanic they find all kinds of things to call me in addition to what I already hear being light-skinned.

If I can't tell people anything else, I'd tell them that being light-skinned is definitely overrated at times.

obviously not all light skin black girls are like this, but the ones ive encountered usually turned out to be conceited as @#$%. theyd be ugly as hell and still think theyre the @#$% cause theyre light skinned, it doesnt work like that 
laugh.gif

i find women of all shades attractive, but it depends...for example im not only attracted to light skin black girls but the darker ones too, but i wouldnt look twice at a dark latina or indian girl. and then even though i like brown latinas/indians im not attracted to brown viet/cambodian/ other southeast asian girls at all. probably just a social construct in my head 
tired.gif

even though dark skinned people get %!*+....light skinned #$#%%% got their own %!*+ to go through...Im painfully shy...my whole life people have mistaken that for the idea that I'm just an arrogant/stuck up light skinned dude.

Originally Posted by Illuztrious

8 March 1991 - The day New Jack City released. Also the day dark skinnned dudes came back into power. When Wesley Snipes stabbed ol' buddy in the hand and told G-Money to "sit yo $5 #++ down before I make change", the transfer of power was complete.
laugh.gif
... hilarious

Back
Top Bottom