THE OFFICIAL INVESTORS THREAD vol. Securities, Real Estate, Franchises

Welcome NT! This thread is dedicated to the art of getting money via investing. My goal is not to be a teacher. This is a thread where we can compile all of the info about investing.

- Here you can post about different: securities (stocks ,ETF’s, Bonds, etc), Real Estate, franchises that do well in your community and the economy.

- I will be posting investing methods that have help me get a edge in the stock market as well.

I think either Wingstop or Little Ceasers is having a pretty swell deal on franchises. Have not checked in a bit.

images

Trump isn't buying gold. He is buying stocks.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/steveschaefer/2011/08/11/trump-grabs-blue-chips-in-battered-market/  

- In this market, even billionaires have taken a hit. Not enough to knock them out of Forbes’ list of the 400 richest Americans, though. Meet the top 5 real estate tycoons and find out where they stack up against their fellow $-listers.

Company: LeFrak Organization

Net worth: $4.3 billion

Portfolio: 22 million sf residential, 13 million sf commercial

Properties include: 40 w. 57th street, Lefrak City in Queens, the Newport development in Jersey City.

Trademarks: A conservative investor that pretty much sat out the market downturn. Holdings are primarily in New York and New Jersey.

Company: Hartz Group

Net worth: $3.5 billion

Portfolio: More than 38 million sf of office, industrial, hotel and retail properties.

Properties include: 667 Madison, Soho Grand, Tribeca Grand

Trademarks: Invested $10 million in the Meadowlands in the ’60s, which paid off more than 20x.

Company: Related Companies

Net worth: $3.1 billion

Portfolio: Tens of millions of sf

Properties include: Time Warner Center

Trademarks: This tax-attorney-turned real estate king purchased the Miami Dolphins last year for $1 billion.

Company: Trump Organization

Net worth: $2.4 billion

Portfolio: Several million sf–hard to count because he owns partial interest in many

Properties include: Trump Tower, 40 Wall Street, Trump International Hotel and Tower

Trademarks: The two-time Emmy nominee nearly went into bankruptcy during the last recession, which evidently taught him his lesson.

Company: Boston Properties

Net worth: $2 billion

Portfolio: 50 million sf

Properties include: GM Building, John Hancock Tower

Trademarks: Contrary to the aforementioned moguls, Boston Properties spent billions on purchases during the downturn.

Jim Cramers 25 rules for investing
Link:  http://www.thestreet.com/tsc/cramerbook

I have incorporated these rules into my investing methods. I have never lost money investing...

[h2]Rule 1: Bulls, Bears Make Money, Pigs Get Slaughtered[/h2]
It's essential for all traders to know when to take some off the table. More
[h2]Rule 2: It's OK to Pay the Taxes[/h2]
Stop fearing the tax man and start fearing the loss man because gains can be fleeting. More
[h2]Rule 3: Don't Buy All at Once[/h2]
To maximize your profits, stage your buys, work your orders and try to get the best price over time. More
[h2]Rule 4: Buy Damaged Stocks, Not Damaged Companies[/h2]
There are no refunds on Wall Street, so do your research and focus your trades on damaged stocks rather than companies. More
[h2]Rule 5: Diversify to Control Risk[/h2]
If you control the downside and diversify your holdings, the upside will take care of itself. More
[h2]Rule 6: Do Your Stock Homework[/h2]
Before you buy any stock, it's important to research all aspects of the company. More
[h2]Rule 7: No One Made a Dime by Panicking[/h2]
There will always be a better time to leave the table, so it is best to avoid the fleeing masses. More
[h2]Rule 8: Buy Best-of-Breed Companies[/h2]
Investing in the more expensive stock is invariably worth it because you get piece of mind. More
[h2]Rule 9: Defend Some Stocks, Not All[/h2]
When trading gets tough, pick your favorite stocks and defend only those. More
[h2]Rule 10: Bad Buys Won't Become Takeovers[/h2]
Bad companies never get bids, so it's the good fundamentals you need to focus on. More
[h2]Rule 11: Don't Own Too Many Names[/h2]
It can be constraining, but it's better to have a few positions you know well and like. More
[h2]Rule 12: Cash Is for Winners[/h2]
If you don't like the market or have anything compelling to buy, it's never wrong to go with cash. More
[h2]Rule 13: No Woulda, Shoulda, Couldas[/h2]
This damaging emotion is destructive to the positive mindset needed to make investment decisions. More
[h2]Rule 14: Expect, Don't Fear Corrections[/h2]
It is not always clear when a correction will strike, so expect and be prepared for one at all times. More
[h2]Rule 15: Don't Forget Bonds[/h2]
It's important to watch more than stocks, and bonds are stocks' direct competition. More
[h2]Rule 16: Never Subsidize Losers With Winners[/h2]
Any trader stuck in this position would do well to sell sinking stocks and wait a day. More
[h2]Rule 17: Check Hope at the Door[/h2]
Hope is emotion, pure and simple, and trading is not a game of emotion. More
[h2]Rule 18: Be Flexible[/h2]
Recognize and be open to the unexpected shifts in the market because business, by nature, is dynamic, not static. More
[h2]Rule 19: When the Chiefs Retreat, So Should You[/h2]
High-level executives don't quit a company for personal reasons, so that is a sign something is wrong. More
[h2]Rule 20: Giving Up on Value Is a Sin[/h2]
If you don't have patience, think about letting someone who does run your money. More
[h2]Rule 21: Be a TV Critic[/h2]
Accept that what you hear on television is probably right, but no more than that. More
[h2]Rule 22: Wait 30 Days After Preannouncements[/h2]
Preannouncements signal ongoing weakness, wait 30 days to see if anything has gotten better before you pull the trigger to buy. More
[h2]Rule 23: Beware of Wall Street Hype[/h2]
Never underestimate the promotion machine because analysts get behind stocks and can keep them propelled in an up direction well beyond reason. More
[h2]Rule 24: Explain Your Picks[/h2]
Buying stocks is a solitary event, too solitary in fact, so always make sure you can articulate your reasoning to someone else. More
[h2]Rule 25: There's Always a Bull Market[/h2]
It's OK if you have to work hard to find it, just don't default to what's in bear mode because you are time-constrained or intellectually lazy. More

As someone who invests for a living, I say the best thing to remember about investing is to not have delusions of grandeur or illusions of omniscience. Very few people can consistently "beat" the market and get significantly higher returns then others, who are investing in the same type of assets.

Be conservative, diversify and then depending on various factors (willingness to take risks, amount of available capitl, age of the investor, goal of the investor, ect.) take a few limited and calculated risks.

The way to wealth is the same as it was when bBenjamin Franklin articulated it in Poor Richard's Almanac, spend less than you make. Financial instruments should be seen as a way to amplify your savings and not as your sole source of income.

Posting to read later, I'm really intrigued by this.

Good looks op and the people posting valuable info.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

As someone who invests for a living, I say the best thing to remember about investing is to not have delusions of grandeur or illusions of omniscience. Very few people can consistently "beat" the market and get significantly higher returns then others, who are investing in the same type of assets.

Be conservative, diversify and then depending on various factors (willingness to take risks, amount of available capitl, age of the investor, goal of the investor, ect.) take a few limited and calculated risks.

The way to wealth is the same as it was when bBenjamin Franklin articulated it in Poor Richard's Almanac, spend less than you make. Financial instruments should be seen as a way to amplify your savings and not as your sole source of income.
Well said rex.

I pick about 3-5 companies per year because It takes time to find the company.

I research every company I invest in so that takes time

Though Jim Cramer is much more commercialized and out there, he didn't just get lucky in the market. Some of his principles apply, just as Graham's have still stood the test of time.

The only other two books I'd offer up are:

1) A Random Walk Down Wall Street
2) Security Analysis (older version)

I'm not a fan of Rich Dad Poor Dad. Just my own personal conclusion.

I prefer to buy ETFs such as GLD to get into the gold frenzy .... and also bought GG (Goldcorp) a while back. I don't own any physical gold bullion.

I'm on a long term holding pattern for Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), Apple (AAPL), Google (GOOG) and Chevron (CVX).

I ONLY buy gas from Chevron. I'm on Google 24/7. I have 3 kids under the age of 4 so I am a FREQUENT shopper of JNJ products ~ baby products.
I try to follow Warren Buffet's ideal that you should really own shares of companies that you 'know' (and use)

There will ALWAYS be customers of baby products!!

If you drink Pepsi and eat at Taco Bell ~ Buy PEP shares. I think Pepsi owns KFC as well, but I might be mistaken.
If you use Head and Shoulders shampoo, buy shares of Proctor & Gamble (PG)

Originally Posted by capricdragon

I prefer to buy ETFs such as GLD to get into the gold frenzy .... and also bought GG (Goldcorp) a while back. I don't own any physical gold bullion.

I'm on a long term holding pattern for Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), Apple (AAPL), Google (GOOG) and Chevron (CVX).

I ONLY buy gas from Chevron. I'm on Google 24/7. I have 3 kids under the age of 4 so I am a FREQUENT shopper of JNJ products ~ baby products.
I try to follow Warren Buffet's ideal that you should really own shares of companies that you 'know' (and use)

If you drink Pepsi and eat at Taco Bell ~ Buy PEP shares. I think Pepsi owns KFC as well, but I might be mistaken.
Thanks for the idea.  JNJ has a great DRIP plan.  3.7% dividend. 

That will be my next DRIP plan. 

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Though Jim Cramer is much more commercialized and out there, he didn't just get lucky in the market. Some of his principles apply, just as Graham's have still stood the test of time.

The only other two books I'd offer up are:

1) A Random Walk Down Wall Street
2) Security Analysis (older version)
I never heard of "a random walk" I'm gonna check that out

I'v been saying to my self that "I'm gonna read security analysis" but i never do
eyes.gif

Don't let this thread die like the Stock Market Thread!
tired.gif

Looking forward to all the info that'll be posted and appreciating the info already posted
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by capricdragon

After reading your post an idea popped up!
eek.gif

I wonder  how are those generic brands doing in this economy. For instance I dont use head and shoulders. I use equate(walmart version). It works just as good put it's cheaper.

Thanks capdragon, I got a new sector to research now. It's just a hunch but a gem of a company may be lurking in the dark 
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom