The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

New M1 chip macs are kinda exiting.
Might buy the 16gb mac mini though for my tv setup.
Hate it though that apple is going firmly in the direction that you can't upgrade anything by yourself. Apples prices for the jump between 8 and 16gb is kinda steep in euros.
I think I might finally grab a Mac Mini. RAM prices have dropped a lot since I last checked. 64GB aftermarket for ~$275 is nice. A fully spec'd Mini is over $1k cheaper than a lesser spec'd 16" MBP.
What model are you meaning? The 6 core i5 is pretty old 8th gen model. The new intel chips are on 10th gen.

New M1 chip macs are kinda exiting.
Might buy the 16gb mac mini though for my tv setup.
Hate it though that apple is going firmly in the direction that you can't upgrade anything by yourself. Apples prices for the jump between 8 and 16gb is kinda steep in euros.

What model are you meaning? The 6 core i5 is pretty old 8th gen model. The new intel chips are on 10th gen.
The i7 6 core on the Mini.. I think the MBPs are 9th gen. That Arm mini is enticing but 16GB max RAM is kind of off putting. I know it's a different architecture so memory works differently etc etc but I still can't see 16GB of RAM being enough in a couple years even on an ultra optimized system.

r5t9rtazcky51.jpg

Finally got Big Sur after a day full of errors on Apples end. So far no bugs that I notice but I have barely put it through its paces.

I would think the delay in the release allowed them to polish it a bit more. I HATE the icons. I do like the overall redesign.

Any of you guys have your Macs crawl to a halt yesterday afternoon? Mine became unusable for two hours during my workday and caused me to miss a client Zoom meeting. I thought it was just me, but turns out it was very widespread.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/12...oad-slow-big-sur-downloads-outage-down-issues

Catalina gave me a ton of compatibility issues with some of our enterprise software (flat out broke Remote Desktop Manager for a few weeks), I won't make that mistake again with BS. I'll wait until January or so before updating.

I usually wait a while to update to the next OS but my Messages app has been locking up randomly for months so I wanna see if this fixes it :ohwell:.

I'm looking to get and iPad Pro. Can I use an external drive to store iTunes purchases (movies and tv shows mostly).

I'm looking to get and iPad Pro. Can I use an external drive to store iTunes purchases (movies and tv shows mostly).
I don't think you can with a iOS device. But again, maybe they now allow you to route your library to a specific external drive.

My 16” MBP got the flexgate issue (damaged ribbon cables from opening/closing lid).

happened with a week left of warranty, less than a year old. This is an onging macbook issue, def making me think now that mine will be out of warrantywhen i get it back

My 16” MBP got the flexgate issue (damaged ribbon cables from opening/closing lid).

happened with a week left of warranty, less than a year old. This is an onging macbook issue, def making me think now that mine will be out of warrantywhen i get it back
Dam never heard of this one. Was it just the 16?

Dam never heard of this one. Was it just the 16?
It is actually known to affect years 2016-2018 (i think). There is a repair program for the issue on the 13” from one of those years, but the issue is much more widespread than apple admits. I couldnt find other 16” having the same issue, but they just turned a year old. I was prob one of the first. Outside of warranty this is like an $800 repair.

Everything was cool, then i opened my mbp one night to horizontal grey lines across the whole screen. These go away when you close the lid to 40 degrees.

Had what i believe to be a similar issue on my 2017 but only the bottom of the screen was messed up and still very usable. I gave that one to my fiance

this is my 4th macbook but i buy them for reliability. Now im rethinking that. Looks like ill be without my mbp for 2 weeks in the middle of the semester, im pissed. Luckily have my dell from work

Wow, never heard of this issue.

No real advantage of the M1 pros that I see for me for the ~$300 cost difference.

upgrading my 2014 to a M1 Air.
Agreed the differences are super negligible. I copped a 16GB RAM M1 Air in December. Went with 8 core GPU and 512GB storage as well. Estimated delivery Jan 28-Feb 4. Impatiently waiting for it to come in.

Back
Top Bottom