The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

Originally Posted by Infamous MG

Im An FMF Corpsman as well. I dont like hospital settings at all, My first orders was to a hospital, then went greenside (LOVED IT) and now pcs'ed back to a hospital. You have to deal with alot of BS in the hospital and restricted in what you can and cant do medically wise.

PS Finally made HM2 lol, i was close to hitting my HYT.
Where you stationed?

Originally Posted by solarius49

Im An FMF Corpsman as well. I dont like hospital settings at all, My first orders was to a hospital, then went greenside (LOVED IT) and now pcs'ed back to a hospital. You have to deal with alot of BS in the hospital and restricted in what you can and cant do medically wise.

Where you stationed?
Im at Naval Medical Center San Diego right now.

Originally Posted by solarius49

Where you stationed?
Im at Naval Medical Center San Diego right now.
Oh ok, I'm up on Pendleton

Anyone know what the process is like for getting a top secret security clearance? Few of the jobs i'm looking at requires a TS clearance. What's the process like of getting this and when do you actually go through the process of getting one. Do they do it while your at basic, before you leave for basic, etc? Thanks.

damn another corpsman
laugh.gif

how do you like it?

Originally Posted by Rusty Shackelford

Are there any positions in the military that don't require fighting?

plenty.  Every branch has intel MOS's, administrative, accounting, cooks, helicopter/airplane maintenance, fire fighting.
we call them POG's

Originally Posted by ME NO PASS

damn another corpsman
laugh.gif

how do you like it?
I love what I do, I loved it even more when i was green side because you get to do everything, sick call (minor surgeries, treat musculature injuries, treat URI, administer immunizations, phlebotomy, IV administration etc) Ive been in for over 6 years now and planning to re-enlist again..

Difference between e1, e2, and e3?

I'm pretty sure I'm going in as a e2 because I do have some college credit, but not enough for e3. At least that's how I understand it. I know there's a pay difference, but what else? Is it easier/faster to get to e3 from e2? How long does it take? Thanks.

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

I'm pretty sure I'm going in as a e2 because I do have some college credit, but not enough for e3. At least that's how I understand it. I know there's a pay difference, but what else? Is it easier/faster to get to e3 from e2? How long does it take? Thanks.
e1, e2, and e3 are the only guaranteed ranks.  You pick up all of them through time...im pretty sure its 6 months from e1 to e2, and 9 months from e2 to e3.  If you come in as an e2, then you will be getting e2 pay (obviously).  There really is no difference between e1-e3, especially if you just came in, other than pay.  I know in the Marines, an e3 is a rank that can hold ALOT of responsibility however, but in the Navy, e3 carries no distinction

Like Solarius49 said an e3 in the USMC can hold alot of responsibility but if you're in the Navy your just a boot until you make Petty Officer. You'll be doing all working parties etc, crappy stuff..

congrats bro. Study early for 1st its not much harder than 2nd

if you go in as e2, it takes 10 months before you can sew on e3 but you get time in service as an e2 while in basic........6 year enlistees will get e3 after they graduate tech school or 20 weeks after graduating basic whichever comes first

Originally Posted by blacktopking319

if you go in as e2, it takes 10 months before you can sew on e3 but you get time in service as an e2 while in basic........6 year enlistees will get e3 after they graduate tech school or 20 weeks after graduating basic whichever comes first
yeah it depends on branch of service.  I know its kinda a big deal to pick up e2 in Marine bootcamp.  Im assuming the guy above is in the AF?

Originally Posted by solnevins

i have a B.S..and id like to join the navy..whats the process? help
well do you have any specific questions?  what would you be interested in doing?

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

Anyone know what the process is like for getting a top secret security clearance? Few of the jobs i'm looking at requires a TS clearance. What's the process like of getting this and when do you actually go through the process of getting one. Do they do it while your at basic, before you leave for basic, etc? Thanks.

8 years in the USAF. Don't regret a single day. I'm a Captain, my Majors board is this year. I'm a 21R3, Logistics Readiness Officer. If had all kinds of jobs and done all kinds of stuff. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

I've been addicted to shoes forever. Growing up as a kid was the start and now that I'm grown up, I still buy all kinds of shoes and my daughter is always rocking new, hot kicks too.

Glad to see there is a good amount of military on here.

With Memorial Day tomorrow, thank you to all who have served, currently serve, and those who paid the ultimate price. Thank you all.

Originally Posted by Meallen125

I have a 4 year degree and i've been thinking about joining the army as officer, but I was told its tough to go the officer route. I think the recruiter just wanted me to go enlisted. How true is this?

-I also have a girl I plan to marry who doesn't like the idea (doesn't want to move, blah blah...you guys know the story)
-Im currently in the childcare field (many of you probably have heard of CYSS = DoD childcare basically) so Im around service men and women all day
-make roughly 34k
-27 and graduated college in '08.

I like the benefits of the military but have no idea what I want to do still (something technical being that my degree is Science Technology)

the monthly income on the goarmy site is tax free correct?

Join the Air Force.  Much more Science and Tech stuff going on.  Even working in the AF Research Lab.
Tons of benefits from any branch of the service.  BAH (housing) which pays my mortgage, good pay, medical, retirement, etc.  Plus, you get to serve you country.

Originally Posted by CRH1979

I have a 4 year degree and i've been thinking about joining the army as officer, but I was told its tough to go the officer route. I think the recruiter just wanted me to go enlisted. How true is this?

-I also have a girl I plan to marry who doesn't like the idea (doesn't want to move, blah blah...you guys know the story)
-Im currently in the childcare field (many of you probably have heard of CYSS = DoD childcare basically) so Im around service men and women all day
-make roughly 34k

I like the benefits of the military but have no idea what I want to do still (something technical being that my degree is Science Technology)

Join the Air Force.  Much more Science and Tech stuff going on.  Even working in the AF Research Lab.
Tons of benefits from any branch of the service.  BAH (housing) which pays my mortgage, good pay, medical, retirement, etc.  Plus, you get to serve you country.

Thanks for the reply...yea my first choice was coast guard but air force may be the direction I'm leaning towards...how hard is it to go in as an officer? All my friends say don't do enlistedI want to make sure my family will be taken care of once I begin that process

Originally Posted by solnevins

i have a B.S..and id like to join the navy..whats the process? help
I've been accepted to Navy OCS and I'm going in a couple of months. I began speaking to my recruiter in January 2011 and they didn't review my package until January of this year. The process of going officer is long and will test your resolve but I haven't even gone yet and I can tell you its worth it. What's you degree in

-make roughly 34k

If you don't mind me asking, what was your route to going Officer? OCS, Acadmy, Prior enlisted? Do you plan on doing the whole 20 year retirement?

Originally Posted by ATLsFinest

-make roughly 34k

If you don't mind me asking, what was your route to going Officer? OCS, Acadmy, Prior enlisted? Do you plan on doing the whole 20 year retirement?

I did ROTC at the University of Wyoming.  I plan on doing the full 20.  My wife is also active duty so we don't mind moving, etc.

Back
Top Bottom