The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

I think im enlisting in the marines at the end of the summer when work is over for me.

Ive already done four years of college, but im three classes behind for my degree. I would go back in the fall, but the classes i need are only offered in the spring; meaning id be in Boston for another 12 months
30t6p3b.gif

Im so good on that. Im 22 i need to get out my dads crib and do something with my life.

Am i making a mistake ?

Originally Posted by NooEra

I think im enlisting in the marines at the end of the summer when work is over for me.

Ive already done four years of college, but im three classes behind for my degree. I would go back in the fall, but the classes i need are only offered in the spring; meaning id be in Boston for another 12 months
30t6p3b.gif

Im so good on that. Im 22 i need to get out my dads crib and do something with my life.

Am i making a mistake ?
I joined the Marines at 22, I had some college, but not a completed degree.  I pretty much joined for the same reason too, to get away from home.  That being said, you are definitely not making a mistake.  You would also have an opportunity to finish up those classes and apply to be an officer AFTER your 1st enlistment.  Any other questions PM me or something

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

Anyone know what the process is like for getting a top secret security clearance? Few of the jobs i'm looking at requires a TS clearance. What's the process like of getting this and when do you actually go through the process of getting one. Do they do it while your at basic, before you leave for basic, etc? Thanks.

The original MOS I chose was EOD which needed a Top Secret clearance.  I changed it like a month after to a 25 series job which only needs a secret.   Anyways, since I had already picked the EOD they had started the process for the top secret clearance.  Basically, they do a thorough background check. They gave me like 2 interviews and asked me stuff from way back when I was in HS. Detailed.. Since my family is Nicaraguan and I've been to Nicaragua a lot they asked if I still had ties to Nicaragua. Who I chilled and stayed with while i was there and a bunch of other personal questions.     They also do a credit check on you.  Its just to make sure you wont sell "secrets" for money.   This all happened before I left for basic btw.

ARMY btw.   

Originally Posted by SUCKAFREE85

Anyone know what the process is like for getting a top secret security clearance? Few of the jobs i'm looking at requires a TS clearance. What's the process like of getting this and when do you actually go through the process of getting one. Do they do it while your at basic, before you leave for basic, etc? Thanks.

The original MOS I chose was EOD which needed a Top Secret clearance.  I changed it like a month after to a 25 series job which only needs a secret.   Anyways, since I had already picked the EOD they had started the process for the top secret clearance.  Basically, they do a thorough background check. They gave me like 2 interviews and asked me stuff from way back when I was in HS. Detailed.. Since my family is Nicaraguan and I've been to Nicaragua a lot they asked if I still had ties to Nicaragua. Who I chilled and stayed with while i was there and a bunch of other personal questions.     They also do a credit check on you.  Its just to make sure you wont sell "secrets" for money.   This all happened before I left for basic btw.

ARMY btw.   
This. And also, you dont have to go get the clearance on your own.  Whatever branch of service it is will send you to get it on their dime.  A TS clearance is very valuable in the civilian world bc it costs like $25K to get on your own

happy Memorial Day shout out to all the NT'ers who served or are serving in the armed forces and R.I.P. to those who selflessly gave their lives..much respect

I'm looking to join the AF and get into IT work. What should I be expecting when I go meet with the recruiter ?

Originally Posted by CRH1979

8 years in the USAF. Don't regret a single day. I'm a Captain, my Majors board is this year. I'm a 21R3, Logistics Readiness Officer. If had all kinds of jobs and done all kinds of stuff. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

I've been addicted to shoes forever. Growing up as a kid was the start and now that I'm grown up, I still buy all kinds of shoes and my daughter is always rocking new, hot kicks too.

Glad to see there is a good amount of military on here.

With Memorial Day tomorrow, thank you to all who have served, currently serve, and those who paid the ultimate price. Thank you all.
got a couple of good replies already but just wanna be sure 
my goal is to become a fire fighter after serving, which branch or which jobs should I be looking at? would the reserves be better for me? Im looking at crash fire rescue for the AF... 

got a 52 on the practice exam but Im still studying for the asvab

Planning on attending Virginia Military Institute and getting into the army afterwards. Or if VMI doesn't work I'll just go straight in. I've been thinking about doing the full 20 years... Any advice for me? I know I didnt really give a lot of info but any info would help I guess. Not to sure what I'd like to do in the army either, infantry unit wouldn't be bad.. I know the dangers, and I'm willing to take it. Does school before enlisting sound like a good plan though?

Originally Posted by Navarretr

Planning on attending Virginia Military Institute and getting into the army afterwards. Or if VMI doesn't work I'll just go straight in. I've been thinking about doing the full 20 years... Any advice for me? I know I didnt really give a lot of info but any info would help I guess. Not to sure what I'd like to do in the army either, infantry unit wouldn't be bad.. I know the dangers, and I'm willing to take it. Does school before enlisting sound like a good plan though?
go the school, go officer. what makes you wanna join the military in the first place? also, what's steering you towards doing the full 20?

Originally Posted by DBlizzle

Originally Posted by MadDog35

Anyone a Navy Nuke?
nerd.gif

This guy
Do you know any info about Naval Reactors Engineers? Is it hard? What is their main duty? I graduated with a major in mechanical engineering and a minor in nuclear engineering and was considering this career. 

Originally Posted by ATLsFinest

go the school, go officer. what makes you wanna join the military in the first place? also, what's steering you towards doing the full 20?

Ever since I was like 10, I've always wanted to pursue a career in the military. Now that im coming of age i feel like the military would be one of the best decisions I've made in my life. The reason why im leaning towards the full 20 year service is because I don't know what I'd want to or even Could do after my (say 6 years for example) are up. I just want wants best for me in the future...

Originally Posted by solarius49

Originally Posted by SUCKAFREE85

ARMY btw.   
This. And also, you dont have to go get the clearance on your own.  Whatever branch of service it is will send you to get it on their dime.  A TS clearance is very valuable in the civilian world bc it costs like $25K to get on your own
Good lookin out fellas. This Thursday i have to see my orthopedist and once he gives me the clearance i can resubmit my application for a physical at MEPS. Once i pass that i'm good to go.

Anybody in here a military police officer? I talked to a recruit the other day and he suggested I take that route considering my degree once I graduate. Also what are the policies for tattoos? Do they have to be covered by the uniform?

Just frocked(navy pinning of rank) to E-6/HM1.
Been in for 12.5 yrs. Holla if u got questions.

Back
Top Bottom