The Official NBA Season Thread: California Classic Summer League

Shaq wasn't generational?? We haven't seen anyone comparable since

Physical freak of nature. I’d say he was, due to his coordination and footwork in that body.

But to me, Shaq, Wilt, Bron are a different type of category. That can’t be replicated.

Generational Talents that change basketball, and how it’s PLAYED is another thing.

To DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican point, cats like KG, Dirk, KD, Steph etc…fit more-so what we’re thinking about when we talk about generational talents changing the game of basketball.

Those guys broke the mold when they came into the game. Each super unique. But looked at as the model for another archetype of basketball player that you’ve never seen before (at those times). And ppl/GMs/players have tried to replicate them.

Magic Johnson would be another example, but that’s before my lifetime.

Which teams could the ECF pacers beat in a series in the west?
OKC, nuggets, wolves, clippers, Mavericks, Suns, Lakers, Pelicans

Could they beat the West play-in teams in a series?
Warriors, Kings

Y'all think the NBA ever reconsiders the playoff format and does seeding for 2nd round like the NFL where highest seed plays lowest remaining? So I.E. this year under those terms the Celtics would have palyed Indy in 2nd round then NY plays the Cavs. That could add a new wrinkle to keep the matchups uncertain and I wouldn't mind it tbh.

Which teams could the ECF pacers beat in a series in the west?
OKC, nuggets, wolves, clippers, Mavericks, Suns, Lakers, Pelicans

Could they beat the West play-in teams in a series?
Warriors, Kings

None. And to to your last question. No. But it’s damn near been this way for 25 years now

This was a first round series a decade ago. The defending champs, a 56 win team, being a 6 seed, playing another 56 win 3 seed in 7 games :lol:.

I grade the East on a different curve. JV league, but the cream rises to the top. If you nice you nice at the end of the day. But the disparity between playoffs teams in the East and west is old news.

Is D’Antoni a generational coach then?

IMG_1041.jpeg

At running players into the ground? Yes.

My question for any of the hypothetical convos is this.

When and how will the game be played? Would evolved versions of those Pistons players suit up and play GSW?

Or would the GSW players be transported back in time to act/play like players of that era?

Because it they were to meet in present day, AS IS, I just don't understand how Detroit would stand a chance defending the modern playstyle that they have NEVER been exposed to.
in the same breath, how will the warriors defend the pistons, they for sure not getting any points int he paint

I just view generational a little different. I weigh, "How much did they change the landscape, how much did they "evolve" the game. How many (attempted) duplicates of this player have gotten GMs fired for taking chances on."

Game changing ability.
Steph Is more "generational" than

Kobe
Shaq
Tim Duncan
Allen Iverson

A lot of these dudes were amazing talents and celebrities but didn't really change the game outside of coming in and doing damage to the league for an extended time period. (Not belittling that at all)

I won't say KD because he ushered in a new prototype into the game.

LeBron is one in a million. He style is unique and hasn't been duplicated.

Kobe: Best carbon copy of the perfect picture (Not a knock but also not evolving the game; if anything the hero style has hurt the game but that's another convo for another day that Jordan/Kobe fans don't want to face)

To me, the most important players when it comes to changing the landscape of basketball in my OPINION:

Steph
Dirk
KG
KD

*Based on my lifetime only*

(Again, my formula for generational is different than most)
I understand your point
So your definition of generational doesn't make sense
instead you can straight up say he was a game changing player

that doesn't mean curry wasn't generational
curry is generational, and so is duncan, shaq, kobe and AI

i think once you use the current words your point makes sense,

in the same breath, how will the warriors defend the pistons, they for sure not getting any points int he paint

Why wouldn't they get points in the paint with a wide open lane caused by all the shooting/spacing the GSW team would create?

I understand your point
So your definition of generational doesn't make sense
instead you can straight up say he was a game changing player

that doesn't mean curry wasn't generational
curry is generational, and so is duncan, shaq, kobe and AI

i think once you use the current words your point makes sense,

But I never said those other people weren't generational. Never once.

Why wouldn't they get points in the paint with a wide open lane caused by all the shooting/spacing the GSW team would create?

But I never said those other people weren't generational. Never once.
I think the closest we can get to the 2004 pistons vs the 2017 warriors is a 2k match :lol:

True you didn't say that, but I wouldn't say that curry is 'more generational'

its just that what curry did was easier to replicate compared to kobe or shaq

what curry did was shoot the ball which as you can see now on a roster such as the mavs or knicks, they have centers who can shoot
what kobe and shaq and duncan did was master their craft in a different way which IMO is more difficult

Back
Top Bottom