The Official NBA Season Thread: Mikal Bridges traded to the Knicks

Feel like Hurley has gone into TMI territory in these post-decision interviews.
Totally agree. The first interview was with LeBatard. When asked directly about communication with Bron he didn’t really answer. Now, on all the subsequent interviews he stresses he heard from Bron via text. Sounds like Klutch got a hold of him.

Went down a rabbit hole after watching random Jamal mashburn highlights. He and Anthony mason made their first all star teams right before they retired

NBA finals related on Larry Johnson:

“During the 1999 NBA Finals, Johnson characterized the Knicks as a band of "rebellious slaves".

Bill Walton later called Johnson and his performance a "disgrace".

When Johnson was asked about the play of San Antonio Spurs point guard Avery Johnson in Game 4, Johnson again shifted the topic to slavery: "Ave, man, we're from the same plantation. You tell Bill Walton that. We from Massa Johnson's plantation."

He went on to say, "Here's the NBA, full of blacks, great opportunities, they made beautiful strides. But what's the sense of that ... when I go back to my neighborhood and see the same thing? I'm the only one who came out of my neighborhood. Everybody ended up dead, in jail, on drugs, selling drugs.

So I'm supposed to be honored and happy or whatever by my success. Yes, I am. But I can't deny the fact of what has happened to us over years and years and years and we're still at the bottom of the totem pole."

The Dirk statue is one of the better player statues I’ve seen.
We were robbed of true greatness

GettyImages-1363105589.8de15cca.jpeg

Draymond and Perk are the guys FOR me. You still have to have a sense of humor and wit. Both guys bring comedic relief and can also analyze Xs and Os. Kendrick is also as unbiased as it gets and goes against agendas.

Give me Perk and Dray, and I don’t care whomever else Countdown employs

Went down a rabbit hole after watching random Jamal mashburn highlights. He and Anthony mason made their first all star teams right before they retired

NBA finals related on Larry Johnson:

“During the 1999 NBA Finals, Johnson characterized the Knicks as a band of "rebellious slaves".

Bill Walton later called Johnson and his performance a "disgrace".

When Johnson was asked about the play of San Antonio Spurs point guard Avery Johnson in Game 4, Johnson again shifted the topic to slavery: "Ave, man, we're from the same plantation. You tell Bill Walton that. We from Massa Johnson's plantation."

He went on to say, "Here's the NBA, full of blacks, great opportunities, they made beautiful strides. But what's the sense of that ... when I go back to my neighborhood and see the same thing? I'm the only one who came out of my neighborhood. Everybody ended up dead, in jail, on drugs, selling drugs.

So I'm supposed to be honored and happy or whatever by my success. Yes, I am. But I can't deny the fact of what has happened to us over years and years and years and we're still at the bottom of the totem pole."
This was an interesting situation. Bill Walton would call him sad as well and then concluded it by saying, it was a sad end to a sorry episode when referencing Johnson.

Johnson also said regarding the slave comment, if you look far enough down Bill Walton’s family tree, I’m pretty sure they owned slaves.

He was converting to Islam at the time and had not gotten any grooming for a while. The Tom Joyner morning show used to roast him daily saying can we get this brother a comb a haircut or etc. , he looks awful. During one of the games in the finals, one of the people on commentary mentioned that he was converting to Islam and that was the reason for the unkempt look. Never heard the Tom Joyner show mention anything about his look again.

Back
Top Bottom