The Official NBA Thread: Celtics Lead 3-0 in the NBA Finals | RIP Jerry West

Interesting.

IMG_6499.png

Im in LA right now, and I have to say, haven't been here since Kobe died.

If an alien came down to LA they would assume that people of this land worship a deity named Kobe Bryant.

I know he died but man I don't think any athlete in a city would generate the amount of tributes/murals/ and shrines as Kobe has.

Speaking of murals, there is still a huge Steven Adams mural in OKC, across from the 2nd most expensive apartments in town in the most expensive zip code in general (Film Row, which is just west of downtown business district), ironically overlooking multiple homeless encampments, the City mission, and shelters. You literally might walk out the garage of your $2200 2 bedroom and have to step over human excrement or a whole *** human sleep on the stairs of the garage. It's crazy/

1709140975899.jpeg

If an alien came down to LA they would assume that people of this land worship a deity named Kobe Bryant.

I know he died but man I don't think any athlete in a city would generate the amount of tributes/murals/ and shrines as Kobe has.
And it goes well beyond into other surrounding cities too

Got a least two or three in Long Beach

I don't think there's a question that there's a city more connected and an athlete embodied what a city is than Bean with LA.

The more I think about it, I think modern basketball players are making a mistake trying to turn themselves into "brands" or basically basketball agnostic lifestyle influencers.

the athletes that have the most rabid fan bases and strongest emotional connection audience.
are athletes that are most closely associated with purity of competition and sport.

I think the reason a guy like KD have relatively small amount of stans relative to his stature as a player is because they envision themselves as brands beyond basketball.

My only critique on da "I'm not black, I'M OJ" line is that I wish Cuba would've either, (1) paused after saying O for about 5 seconds and the said J or (2) said "I'm not Black, I'm DOMINICAN".

MJ, Messi, Ronaldo, etc probably would if they passed tragically.
I take your point

but those are like the 3 biggest athletes in the world and potential goats in their sport.

no rational person thinks Kobe is the GOAT hooper, so imo his popularity relative to his ability is petty unique.

I take your point

but those are like the 3 biggest athletes in the world and potential goats in their sport.

no rational person thinks Kobe is the GOAT hooper, so imo his popularity relative to his ability is petty unique.

I have seen the Kobe GOAT hooper take been made multiple times in the past few years and thank you for acknowledging how irrational that is.

There’s also a large number of cars in LA that have Kobe inspired paint job, license plates or plate frames, etc.

And I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Kobe murals as far out as spots in the Inland Empire and Orange County.

Back
Top Bottom