The Official NBA Thread: Celtics Lead 1-0 in the NBA Finals | Lakers Targeting Dan Hurley

Now this is a discussion I’m willing to entertain.
The number 1 most important skill in basketball is getting a bucket. Everything else is secondary.
Even more than getting a bucket. Also creating a bucket will always reign supreme.

Magic is Top 4/5 all time because of that. Not because he was an elite two way guy

Defense and other aspects are extremely important in hoops but you can see playmaking at a high level will shift the scales. It's always been that way

3 sweeps...legacy busters.

1684824055850.png

Even more than getting a bucket. Also creating a bucket will always reign supreme.

Magic is Top 4/5 all time because of that. Not because he was an elite two way guy

Defense and other aspects are extremely important in hoops but you can see playmaking at a high level will shift the scales. It's always been that way

Hell yeah bro, the more I watch the more reminded I get.

and I appreciate you for bringing up Magic. I was too young to watch him but that’s how I always envisioned that as the right way to play basketball and I feel like he doesn’t get his proper respect (how would anyone born after 1990 know how good Magic Johnson was?)

On a broader scale: Making the extra pass, getting everyone involved… I know I sound like a boomer but it’s so beautiful, I love that ****. I love the Steph/Kobe/MJ killer scoring machines but I’ll always prefer to play basketball the way Magic played. That’s why I love Jokic’s game and even Lebron. Everybody plays harder when they know they’re going to touch the ball.

Last edited:
Hell yeah bro, the more I watch the more reminded I get.

and I appreciate you for bringing up Magic. I was too young to watch him but that’s how I always envisioned basketball being played and I feel like he doesn’t get his proper respect (how would anyone born after 1990 know how good Magic Johnson was?)

On a broader scale: Making the extra pass, getting everyone involved… I know I sound like a boomer but it’s so beautiful, I love that ****. I love the Steph/Kobe/MJ killer scoring machines but I’ll always prefer to play basketball the way Magic played. That’s why I love Jokic’s game and even Lebron. Everybody plays harder when they know they’re going to touch the ball.
Yeah like Magic is always up there as all time overall players but he was never a high volume scorer and his defense was ok but he was such an elite ELITE offensive guy that bended the defense into submission.

Something I had to learn over the years when valuing a players impact on a game

Like you said making an extra pass, getting others involved (rim pressure, ect) but even with Steph, MJ and Kobe. There's gravity there and you have to make plays out of that that aren't always reactionary.

Tatum and Embiid to me are two prime examples of guys who I think are great at offense but when they're asked to playmake it's gets dicey and you can see their limitations.

Embiid can't make passes out of the post because of his vision so hes always has to operate outside and even then he's still more reactionary when making a pass rather than creating a passing lane. Tatum has gotten a little better but he's not consistent enough and the offense he's in is still my turn, your turn. And neither tbh make up for it enough on defense to really compare to even to some guys with less defense

antidope antidope been on this train a while. I see the vision now over the last couple years

Lmao so you know how good he is. I’m glad you recognize he’s the best defender in the league (And he gives you 20/10).

After the bubble I would’ve had him in front of Jokic. Everything since the bubble has not broke AD’s way.

First the short offseason. There’s no way he developed his skills or worked to get better that summer. Too short a layover.

Second getting the injury against the Suns ****ed him over big time. They were on their way to a finals date against Giannis. AD could’ve solidified himself as the best big in the world and etched his name higher in the nba history tiers. He got hurt against the suns and missed the ensuing offseason.

Third the Russ trade. Every KCP shot was like a bullet thru the heart. Lol let’s not discuss this any further.

Fourth is getting hurt again while he was starting to turn up this year. He came back and played the rest of the year but you could tell he wasn’t right and I’m pretty sure he’ll be getting surgery soon.

On the other side, Jokic has basically had his whole team go down and had to carry them for like 2 years straight. He had to ball and got way better out of necessity. (I’m not saying he was *** before; Im just saying he got way better since then)

Jokic finally got a healthy squad this year and look what happened. Not to mention he basically took a month off before the playoffs started while AD had to fight for 3 months due just to get into the playoffs in the final 3 days (all thanks to the ****ty Russ move that basically tanked 18 months).

Jokic improved while AD never did or would get hurt right when he was getting it rolling. What I said at the time wasn’t wrong and still isn’t even that crazy.

One more thing: AD’s defense broke Steph and the Warriors motion offense. I don’t think Jokic could do that. I think the warriors would’ve beat em or at least put up a better fight than the Lakers did.
Y’all gotta stop blaming Russ. The Lakers were trash because their best two players couldn’t consistently stay on the court together. None those new players made a real difference. Ultimately it came down to AD and his effort

Yeah like Magic is always up there as all time overall players but he was never a high volume scorer and his defense was ok but he was such an elite ELITE offensive guy that bended the defense into submission.

Something I had to learn over the years when valuing a players impact on a game

Like you said making an extra pass, getting others involved (rim pressure, ect) but even with Steph, MJ and Kobe. There's gravity there and you have to make plays out of that that aren't always reactionary.

Tatum and Embiid to me are two prime examples of guys who I think are great at offense but when they're asked to playmake it's gets dicey and you can see their limitations.

Embiid can't make passes out of the post because of his vision so hes always has to operate outside and even then he's still more reactionary when making a pass rather than creating a passing lane. Tatum has gotten a little better but he's not consistent enough and the offense he's in is still my turn, your turn. And neither tbh make up for it enough on defense to really compare to even to some guys with less defense

antidope antidope been on this train a while. I see the vision now over the last couple years

People joke about it but it's really one of the best things about Steph Curry. He creates buckets for other people by....standing there. He crosses half court and it immediately becomes an issue for a defense. The gravity is truly something else.

With the hypothetical given earlier about adding a big to an established wing, if I’m the Celtics and could trade Jaylen Brown for either AD or Joker, choosing AD would be INSANE.

Nothing Joker does takes away from a star wing. Nothing. Only adds. He was 25th in the league in usage. Makes everyone’s job easier.

Back
Top Bottom