The Official NBA Thread: T'Wolves-Mavericks and Celtics-Pacers / Happy Bday broncos19dm, Wavy, B Sox

wow.png

yeah european players are bringing their nba experience back to their home countries, but i really believe the difference is team basketball (ball movement) vs a more individualistic style of play from the usa (iso favored)

need a better coach who can exploit those individual talents at the same time rather than piecemeal which is what i saw from kerr
This.

Brandon Ingram & JJJ ducking a whole lotta slander for this entire World Cup run.

Folks too busy dunking on Reaves and Halliburton. I get it tho they deserve criticism but look at the entire picture.

^^^ I think there is a lot of variables in play. International basketball competition was never big in our country until the dream team showed up in 92 Once the DREAM TEAM rolled everyone up by 40, the expectations where that from that point forward, anytime we sent a NBA Team we will roll them up and win everything. Except INTL teams got better. FIBA game is way different that NBA games, INTL teams take pride in winning any tourney they get into and the players for their respective National teams play together for ages. you combine that with shorter games, and better team work ( PRINCETON OFFENSE COMES TO MIND) and you see why the USA struggles sometimes. Are we still the best nation in basketball? absolutely, but it does not mean we can just show up and think will win. This year team is proof of that.

^^^ I think there is a lot of variables in play. International basketball competition was never big in our country until the dream team showed up in 92 Once the DREAM TEAM rolled everyone up by 40, the expectations where that from that point forward, anytime we sent a NBA Team we will roll them up and win everything. Except INTL teams got better. FIBA game is way different that NBA games, INTL teams take pride in winning any tourney they get into and the players for their respective National teams play together for ages. you combine that with shorter games, and better team work ( PRINCETON OFFENSE COMES TO MIND) and you see why the USA struggles sometimes. Are we still the best nation in basketball? absolutely, but it does not mean we can just show up and think will win. This year team is proof of that.
The USA will never win if they send NBA benchwarmers and starters in international competition. this is already a given and a lesson that should have been learned in the 1988 Olympics. I even have more faith and confidence on that 1988 US squad than this whatever 2023 team is. and yet those guys lost. just look at that 1988 squad compared to this 2023 squad. it's an embarrassment. it is more like sending a squad composed Chris Mullin as their star and the rest are Christian Laettner calibre.

To be honest the coaching is as much of the problem as roster construction. Team USA had the right coach in Coach K and his staff was absolutely loaded with talent (Boeheim for Zone offense, Nate Mc for defense, Mike D for offense and a deep scouting team). Coach K even mentioned that coaching a shorter game, with different defense and offense schemes not common to US basketball took some time getting used to and he admitted he got out coached in 06.

Not saying a college coach is the answer but you need a head coach that can make adjustments on the fly. That's not Kerr's strength. Just like you can't throw a bunch of big names for the players you can't do that for the coaches either.

Players will care if a generational player is all in on it. It happened with Kobe with the Redeem Team. All of a sudden all the stars committed because they wanted to play with him.

Wardell has that influence but he’s too big of a coward :smh:
Steve fiba participation reaching Bron dunk contest participation levels :lol:

To be honest the coaching is as much of the problem as roster construction. Team USA had the right coach in Coach K and his staff was absolutely loaded with talent (Boeheim for Zone offense, Nate Mc for defense, Mike D for offense and a deep scouting team). Coach K even mentioned that coaching a shorter game, with different defense and offense schemes not common to US basketball took some time getting used to and he admitted he got out coached in 06.

Not saying a college coach is the answer but you need a head coach that can make adjustments on the fly. That's not Kerr's strength. Just like you can't throw a bunch of big names for the players you can't do that for the coaches either.

Brandon Ingram & JJJ ducking a whole lotta slander for this entire World Cup run.

Folks too busy dunking on Reaves and Halliburton. I get it tho they deserve criticism but look at the entire picture.
Rough time for HR to get exposed defensively.

Both were bright spots for the team for the majority of the tourney.

Said it before the tourney started, but what makes JJJ so good defensively in the NBA isn’t nearly as important in international play. Physicality is extremely important at that position and it’s not exactly what he’s known for.

Man I remember that 2020 Olympic squad was kinda funny since no one wanted to play. You had KD as the only superstar top 10 player on the squad then a couple of Book, Tatum, Dame tier all stars then a huge drop off after that with Keldon Johnson and Jeremi Grant then Mofo Javale McGee because we had 0 bigs who wanted to play besides Bam :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom