The Official Netflix Thread Tho: Recommend Streaming Movies

Right, and that’s why the industry is dying and has been for years. It may bring in tons for studios, but it is no longer the destination it was even 5 years ago.

It’ll continue that way if they can force the industry through this pandemic, and risk people’s lives in the process, but I don’t see enough people willing to do it. Times change. Either you evolve or you die. Theaters can’t evolve any more to accommodate a virus that’s passed over the air.

Better to concede now and plan for a business model going forward than to be stubborn and be forced into it by consumers.

This isn't true. Avengers just made a couple of billion :lol:

Just two years ago it had it's most profitable year.

You’re talking about event films, man. I’m talking about the movie theater industry. Tentpole-movies and IMAX is always going to draw people, but the model as it is is unsustainable with all the other movies that just sit. How much more can they downsize? How much are the studios willing to put up to prop up these theaters that are struggling since it’s their strongest stream of income?

Honestly though, it doesn’t matter enough to debate it. The movie going experience has become less necessary for a lot of people. Certain movies are going to draw people, but I don’t think enough of those drop yearly anymore to keep it going the way it has.

I talked to my homies about that bond movie this morning. I know they are saying that Apple and Netflix are offering 600M and I just don't see how they'd earn that back.

I get that the movie is a streaming draw, but Netflix (especially) is focused on new subscribers. I know very few people without access to a Netflix account at the moment. How will they recoup the 600M. It's not like this is the box office and it's something we have to pay additional money to access.

Netflix is an outlier among streaming services. They'd spend that much on Bond knowing they won't break even just for the bump in subscriptions, the notoriety, and overall bragging rights. Most aren't aware how much money they're spending on original movies and series. Its crazy. The long play for them is getting future Bond movies and a long term deal or maybe even getting some Bond spinoff series.

Apple probably thinks they can make the money back. Similar to Disney+, they're gonna raise money in order for ppl to watch the Bond movie if they get it. Probably more than $30 :lol: That's just how Apple is though. They gouge the customer with high prices and the customer takes it.

Last edited:
I get that netflix operates differently but I also read that they would only have the Bond movie exclusively for a year.

As a consumer I appreciate netflix taking these types of losses for us and our content but I am curious what their long-term plan is. They've been doing big deals like that for a while now.

I get that netflix operates differently but I also read that they would only have the Bond movie exclusively for a year.

As a consumer I appreciate netflix taking these types of losses for us and our content but I am curious what their long-term plan is. They've been doing big deals like that for a while now.
I think they're banking on the ppl they've got on contract to create multiple series and movies for them.

Shonda Shines
Ryan Murphy
D&D
Kenya Barris

Started 5 years ago and media is calling it a tv writers arms race. WB secured Berlanti, Universal got Esmail, etc. All these deal are 100+mill deals or way more.

What Netflix actually has going for them is the diversity of their series and the amount of them they have that are quality enough to trend and spread. 1 week they can have a top 10 of most watched shows and movies and then the very next week a new top 10. Then it's shows and movies they acquire that pull at those nostalgic strings.

You’re talking about event films, man. I’m talking about the movie theater industry. Tentpole-movies and IMAX is always going to draw people, but the model as it is is unsustainable with all the other movies that just sit. How much more can they downsize? How much are the studios willing to put up to prop up these theaters that are struggling since it’s their strongest stream of income?

Honestly though, it doesn’t matter enough to debate it. The movie going experience has become less necessary for a lot of people. Certain movies are going to draw people, but I don’t think enough of those drop yearly anymore to keep it going the way it has.

But people are going to movies in other countries though

and the studios will prop it up, because they're dependent on movie theaters. You aren't drawing the same revenue from streaming. That's why Disney went from offering Mulan exclusively to giving it to other streaming services. That's why they didn't announce anything about Black Widow and instead pushed it back.

Overseas box office isnt gonna make up for American theaters dying off and not changing. Hollywood cant make movies hoping other countries will make up for it.

If American movie theaters don't bounce back and change Hollywood is done for. They have to adapt.

Overseas box office isnt gonna make up for American theaters dying off and not changing. Hollywood cant make movies hoping other countries will make up for it.

If American movie theaters don't bounce back and change Hollywood is done for. They have to adapt.

It's not dying off, everything is directly related to Covid.

That's like saying restaurants are dying off.

American theaters were not doing great before this shutdown.

Covid just accelerated things. Theaters were already closing on their own.

Soon its just gonna be the 2 major theater chains just in major cities.

The decline is also related to the increased availability that streaming created. People aren’t going to theaters to see indie movies anymore.

I thought the fact that movie theaters were struggling with the shift to streaming was a commonly accepted thing. :lol:

For sure theaters were on the ropes but covid probably accelerated the issue for theaters 10 fold.

Theaters could always look forward to at least a couple Disney related events (avengers, star wars, etc.) to cover the loses during those down moments.

I genuinely don't see how the movies bounce back after this. People are going to be reserved about certain things especially if the content can be found at home.

I could also see Disney just making a play to own the theater experience once everyone else bows out.

I know about 10 independent restaurants that shut down forever. Hell, Hometown said we out. Covid exposed a lot about our entitlement as country. We're a society fueled on convenience. The inconvenience of Covid has exposed that a lot of industries cannot continue to thrive post vaccine. 7 months of losses isn't something you can just bounce back from. A lot of these theaters operate at a loss until holiday releases.

They've missed Memorial day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas releases. That's an uphill battle into 2021.

California went from steady to rising this week. Cinemas aren't opening anytime soon.

Those are 2 different industries who depend on 2 very different infrastructures

Movie theaters actually NEED movies in order to survive.
Restaurants can operate almost the same thanks to door dash, etc. The process is still the same and restaurant still makes the food and gets paid.

Movie theaters can be skipped altogether when getting content directly to the consumer. They aren't needed and thats been proven.

gotta start looking at the big picture here.
besides Mulan and Tenet every other big movie has been moved to next year or will be.
Somewhere down the line most of the films will either be bought by streaming services for what they'd make(or close)in Box office(James Bond, although not sold was shopped) or be released on their own platforms(Mulan)

Movie theaters aren't even involved in this process, because studios know putting it in a theater that can't fill to capacity is a death sentence.

To top it off when the smoke clears lol studios aren't going to be making huge blockbuster movies like they were then(or now) unless they get this whole streaming thing down. Which means movies like Avengers, WW84, the films that keep theaters in business won't be going to them.

Studios aren't trying to help theaters out UNLESS it helps them get their 1 billy at the BO

Movie Theaters at least in the states are dead.

American theaters were not doing great before this shutdown.

Covid just accelerated things. Theaters were already closing on their own.

Soon its just gonna be the 2 major theater chains just in major cities.

That's everything

Just like some American car companies closed and others merged.

That doesn't mean they're closing down. If AMC, Cinemark and Regal shut down they would affect the studios too much. They wouldn't care about your neighborhood or an individual small theater. Movies theaters had gone away from that anyway.

That's everything

Just like some American car companies closed and others merged.

That doesn't mean they're closing down. If AMC, Cinemark and Regal shut down they would affect the studios too much. They wouldn't care about your neighborhood or an individual small theater. Movies theaters had gone away from that anyway.
If movie theaters only exist in the major cities. Slowly but surely that industry will die.

Especially given AMC and Regal arent always making a profit in the major cities.

Why you think Moviepass was so big and able.to change how those 2 operate? Soon AMC A-list and Regal unlimited will be streaming.

If movie theaters only exist in the major cities. Slowly but surely that industry will die.

Especially given AMC and Regal arent always making a profit.

Regal, Cinemark and AMC don't just exist in major cities though. They have over 600 US locations. Same with Cinemark and Regal.

These companies were getting billions in revenue and their stock wasn't suffering until Covid.

The notion that theaters were dying prior to Covid is completely false. Even now Tenet can bring in 200+ million overseas.

Everything that's currently happening to the movie industry is due to Covid, and mainly due to our handling of the pandemic.

Regal, Cinemark and AMC don't just exist in major cities though.
That's not what I said.

You seemed to miss a part of my post.

My last statement was "Soon its just gonna be the 2 major theater chains just in major cities." Then you replied "that's everything" and compared it to American car companies going out of business and merging even though that's not the best comparison given American car companies don't just compete with each other.

I was working under the context of where the movie theater industry is going to end up.

Regal ceased operations, citing studios being the main reason.

Not sure how it is outside of Los Angeles but even the stuff they’ve opened here is still at 25% capacity. Movies still haven’t opened but there’s absolutely no way they chains can continue to carry overhead of rent with 0 income. Blockbuster died because of Netflix/Redbox. The model is done. Movies aren’t a necessity; unemployment and post covid will just further the losses. People have to figure out how to pay rent before they’ll patronize a chain and drop $50 for a movie and snacks

If I had the dough i'd save ipic. I like that niche.
Honestly, I feel like that’s the most sustainable model going forward. The only way you make a profit is if you upsell people on some ‘luxury’ **** with a big profit margin. Like mentioned earlier, I could see big companies eventually owning and running their own theaters. Disney would love to monopolize that ****. :lol:

The ipic in my city closed like a year or two ago. I loved that **** in my early 20s. It was costly but it was such a better move to take chicks.

I used some filthy **** off in there 😥

Back
Top Bottom