THE OFFICIAL NIKE KOBE FOOTWEAR THREAD: RIP LEGEND 1978-2020. MAMBA FOREVER | 3 Releases 4/13

If I had to choose one of those 2 it’s def carpes, but they are both dope as ****. Kobe would be rocking the **** out of the 5x champs if he was still around.

Damn my carpe diems are beat from ball. Kinda making me wanna get a replacement pair now, but I got way too many unworn Kobe’s still

CF5E2179-3B89-4487-AFCB-508A2667C231.jpeg

Nike tried to raise the prices on basketball sneakers awhile back and it failed. Remember the elite series from a few years ago? Had playoff shoes with "high end materials" retailing for $250+. A few of the rarer colorways sold out (the South Beach 2.0's come to mind), but most of them sat. Even now you can find some of the LeBron's for way below retail.

Part of Nike's problem, or more accurately, the problem for Nike consumers like us, is that Nike is actually in two different, distinct markets. The sportswear market acts like most consumers would expect it to. But Nike also sells collectibles, which just happen to take the form of pieces of sportswear. Sometimes, if it's a collab with an artist or fashion designer or something like that, it's obvious that Nike is making a collectible that no one intends to use as anything other than a show piece. But with stuff like Kobes, no one can really tell which market Nike is trying to fill, or which market most consumers will consider the product to be part of. If Nike is just trying to have Kobes be mass produced basketball shoes, then they should absolutely do what they can to kill the resell market. Resellers are keeping consumers from using these shoes for their intended purpose, and so devaluing Nike's product (i.e., people will just switch to other basketball shoes, and not necessarily Nikes). But if Kobes are collectibles now, then Nike probably wants the secondary market to thrive so that their brand continues to appreciate.

Alright, that's enough econ and marketing theorizing for the day. Happy Thanksgiving y'all!
The only problem is that these "protros" in the words of the late great Kobe himself are supposed to be "performance retros." Old shoes updated with current tech. By that definition it should go without saying which bucket these should fall in.

If you're going ultra rare, don't even bother updating the tech and call these retros for the collectible market.

What Nike is doing actually feels sleazy.

In glad the kobe hype is dying down.
Kobe shoes will be soon close to retail. Give it another 7 months.

I wouldn’t be surprised if grinches have a little resale (think pj Tucker pes), but the rest of the vi protros go back to being available at retail.

I feel like they’re going to skip to the 8s, unless they actually want to overhaul the 7s instead of doing minor or nonexistent changes and go back to marketing the original “protro” definition

Back
Top Bottom