:: The Official NT Writer / Writing / Writtens Thread ::

Figured I'd start a thread on writers, writing, etc. 

Not sure how successful this will be, but figured it's worth a shot since I'm positive many of us read a plethora of things on the daily.

Writing is an art form on its own: from fiction, non-fiction, poetry, screenplays, articles, and many other kinds of media and genres.

I know it's pretty broad but I want to target those who are really into writing, those who enjoy doing it, those who possibly are looking into it professionally, or simply those who just love to read.

If any of you want to share anything at all that you've written, read, stumbled upon, etc. that you feel is worth sharing, please do so.

I'm no expert by any means, but I'd love to see what NT has to share. 

My contribution:
The Moments That Bind Us.

tumblr_lfk6s1Td8b1qc7z81o1_500.jpg

Perhaps, she thought, that was where affection began: in an unlikely phrase, in a moment of someone's having unexpectedly but at last said the right thing.
"Agnes of Iowa" by Lorrie Moore.The right thing to say at the right time. There is absolutely nothing more that captivates the human emotion quite like it. It can make us smile, bring us to tears, deliver us inspiration, strike us fear, envelop our passion, ignite our drive, make us fall in love...you name it. None can compare.

This is why I have such an undying passion for words. It is those particular moments in a movie wherein a dialogue is impeccable; when a novel, contemporary non-fiction, short story or poem addresses a poignant statement, when a visionary conveys bold statements to the public, these are what capture us. They are what create imaginary lapses in time as if the world has just stopped and you wish you can contain that particular feeling you have at that very moment forever, those that grasp our spirits and give us memories that last us a lifetime.

But nothing can compare to the connection that bridges us as human beings when we get each other. When you communicate with someone and you are not just on the same page, but you are practically saying the same words and your hearts and minds are reciting them in unison. When that light bulb is lit, when your heads nod in agreement and your smiles rise in astonishment, surprise, and joy because you are sharing a legitimate and intense connection. Basically, it makes you feel alive again.

We should strive for these moments. They are certainly not easy to come by, but it can happen in any second, with any person, at any place. Maybe, just maybe, those unexpected sparks will fly.

Like the quote says, perhaps that is where affection begins. It is not some random emotion that is just given. It is something shared. It is something worth looking for.

Why?

Because it feels damn good to be alive and there is nothing quite like it.

http://www.themiseducationofjomi.com/2011/01/moments-that-bind-us.html

nice post op. I like this thread alot. Your contribution basically sums up what the point of this thread is and its great. 
pimp.gif

My contribution, very short but meaningful to me, i will add more i am majoring in english so this is just a snippet.

Up until this moment, where my fingers search and stroke each key with the conviction of a lover feeling his partner, I had not written anything for the past six years. Whether it is attributed to my lack of trust in a world filled with humans seemingly as dark as winter nights, or the lack of inspirational content from today's society, I have taken a long break. However, I have recently began to read a book much more insightful than any other, much more knowledgable than the greatest of novels authored by the best philosphers. A book that has moved millions and sparked the emotions of the emotionless, opened the hearts of men who previously had their rib cage sealed with the strongest of chains. I have been moved to explain my current train of thought, and what is writing other than that? It is through this book that I have seen the power of words and their capability, and this has completely shattered my understanding of the living world. By the blessing of the almighty the brain is able to think, the tongue is able to speak , and the hand is able to utilize the pen, and for this I as a human  am completely in awe. With great humility I type words that are so miniscule in meaning and knowledge than compared to that of this book. A book that is complete, in all aspects. A gift to mankind that I have had the pleasure of unwrapping, I am forever grateful. The Quran.

If anyone wants to read it, I wrote a short story while I was fishing in Alaska this past summer. It's nothing revolutionary, it was something to curb my boredom.
http://inkpop.com/projects/89971/damned/read-project/#chapter

Here is a journal I kept while Fishing in Alaska in 2008. It has pretty bad grammar because I wrote it using a cellphone.

http://rapidshare.com/files/444421109/A_week_in_hell.doc

And a little poem I wrote in like 8th grade
laugh.gif

Today,
I woke up and I poured myself a bowl of ambition,
splashed a glass of confidence,
cooked up some integrity,
read the motivation news,
and walked through the doors of life

Great post.

I have been writing for most of my life. I actually wrote a book(peep the link in my signature), and I am currently working on another one.

I want to eventually write a poerty book.

NT should join forces and make their own book with a collection of poems and short stories, kind of like how a mixtape was made in the music forum
nerd.gif

Great post.

I have been writing for most of my life. I actually wrote a book(peep the link in my signature), and I am currently working on another one.

I want to eventually write a poerty book.

NT should join forces and make their own book with a collection of poems and short stories, kind of like how a mixtape was made in the music forum
nerd.gif

i just finished writing my concept album... i'm not your avg rapper though... i approach songs like an author which is why i poked my head in this thread lol

Originally Posted by 1boredzombie

ya not scared of plagiarism? this is the internet ppl steal errthing

Plagiarism is indeed a problem.

However, I suppose this is more for those who are open to sharing their work.

If you're always afraid of being "plagiarized," your material isn't going to go anywhere.

I've seen my own words copied verbatim from myspace pages, blogs, etc. There will always be people who won't credit your work. 

I don't stress it much now and just see it as a compliment. You know it's good when it's worth plagiarizing.

Good stuff OnTheNephs. Short, and concise. I think it would be perfect for some kind of memoir detailing your progression, whether by mind or spirit, in your reading of The Quran.

ljlukelj, I like how you have a good amount of material, and very original to your roots. I'll get to reading your short stories when I find time.

Classy Freshman, care to share how you got published / distributed and all the back-end work of production?

Anyways, BUMP y'all. I think the thread has potential.

Currently reading: A Gate at The Stairs by Lorrie Moore if anyone cares.

I'm currently revising my novel, so I don't have much new material to share, but I'd be down to get a little workshopping thing going on here we all critique each other's work...and hell, maybe later (on a diff comp) I'll post up one of my older short stories just to keep this thread moving.

One thing I really want to say, though, that isn't stressed enough in creative writing courses is that you'll never be more than a hobbyist, if you don't truly love your prose and write confidently without worrying about how your piece will be received.

Also, one thing that bothers the hell of me as a I writer that I've seen a plenty on this site, is the redundant use of "I think" and "Imo." Both of those show a lack of confidence and certainty (unless a lack of certainty is meant to be conveyed in a factual state--I think it was Bob Marley that said that) that needs to be stricken from a writer's soul.

^I've started this same thread at least 5 times in 5 years... I'll just wait to see if it's worth my input this time... too many haters and trolls on NT
30t6p3b.gif

currently writing a book on my grandfathers life... I meet with him on Sundays (been meeting for about 2 years now).... mainly taking notes still but would love to learn some tips from fellow NT writers
smile.gif

great thread...

oh yeah, in the process of completing my 100+ page precis for my Masters program too (Middle School Education)

Originally Posted by rayray3thousand

currently writing a book on my grandfathers life... I meet with him on Sundays (been meeting for about 2 years now).... mainly taking notes still but would love to learn some tips from fellow NT writers
smile.gif

great thread...

oh yeah, in the process of completing my 100+ page precis for my Masters program too (Middle School Education)
When you get to writing your book, be shortsighted and always keep moving forward, and don't worry about any voice or character changes from the first 30 pages to the next sixty. All those problems can and should be fixed in the revision. If you're constantly going backwards, you'll never finish.

Classy Freshman, care to share how you got published / distributed and all the back-end work of production?

Lulu (self-publishing). He put me onto it awhile back.

I'll be keeping an eye on this, as I always have, these threads. I have plenty to contribute, but I hardly ever share my work with anyone...

Are you a writer OP? Im taking some classes this semester to see if its right for me. How hard is it to do professionally? The field that interest me the most is being a screenwriter but it seems extremely stressful.

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

Lulu (self-publishing). He put me onto it awhile back.

I'll be keeping an eye on this, as I always have, these threads. I have plenty to contribute, but I hardly ever share my work with anyone...

I know how personal one's prose is, so I won't break your balls about posting any of your stuff, but sometimes you gotta just let it out there for the sake of your own sanity.

Anyway, here a couple of poems that I wrote awhile ago, pretty the only two things worth sharing on this comp:

Mouth

Gleamingthrough clouds of despair,

Shiningas bright as stars shaped like bears,

Clingingto the backs of angels sent to hell,

Grazingthe skin of devils baptized in wells,

Youpinch, you gnaw, you swallow,

Youcurse the demons that try to follow,

Youblink, you wink, you breathe in sync

Withducks and deer and blocks of beer.

Lovely Grace

Eachmorning I open my windows,
only to have you whisk past me on a zephyr.
Each evening I close my blinds,
only to hear you rip through the ozone.
On Saturdays I sit outside and wait for you.
On Sundays I kneel down and pray for you.
Hardly do I get an answer.
Sometimes I wonder if it's because I expect
to see you rise from soil,
and not be cursed,
or filled with denial.
But this is the cross I carry,
for if I had spent my time with you dearly,
and cherished your humility,
instead of kissing you deeply,
we'd be under the sun as one.

Always liked your poetry Johnny..

[h2]If I die...[/h2]

by Young Rilla on Friday, January 7, 2011 at 11:58am

If I die tomorrow baby girl know I love her

Put me next to mom, blow a onion with my brothers..

Someone hold G for me, wrap her in my covers

So she can stay warm through the the most cold summer

Cuz when July come, poor a bottle out for Vince

Cuz January came way back in oh-6

And I been getting colder every July 10th

But I ain't celebrated nan birthday SINCE!

Tell my +!*$% Charles he my first and last +!*$%

Tell my +!*$% Mello "All slurs, no pick ups"

Kate  number 2 [Katie Washington], girl do ya damn thang!

Regardless of my status, Britt, ain't %!+% changed

Purp gon ride if it's any foul actions

Nova, hold back.. I know you gon snap kid.

Tobe just called me.. that was unexpected..

But if I die tomorrow, no sorrow.. accept it.

I never was happy.. I never did live

Cuz I'm afraid to die.. not afraid to give 

I've given you my SOUL.. I've given you my tears

I've given you my hope.. I'm living through my fears

Cuz I'm afraid to die; so afraid to live

That if I die tomorrow, I already did.

I'm already dead.. someone resurrect me

Cuz when I'm all alone.. nothing can protect me

My rib cage hurts now.. Squally just left..

Pie Face too, no three much stress..

Every day I wonder if it's all for a reason

But then this cold season got 3 months left..

And when it gets warmer, call up Theresa

Pour out my Corona under West Side's bleachers

Cuz I been schooling $@$%$$ bout the game like teachers

Or something like coaches.. according to my sneakers

$@$%$$ can't fit mine, women can't either

It's only ONE Rilla.. with only one leader

Billboard B, if I die don't trip

It's Triple R #%$*$! Excuse my French..

Pardon my swaggy... excuse my stench..

I don't want a casket..

....throw me in the ditch and be done with me...

I write mostly memoirs but would like to mix nonfiction with fiction. Has anyone in the NYC area taken a class with Gotham Writers Workshop?

this is what i wrote like a week ago in the car.

dinosaurs.

she walks by, butterflies filling my stomach. Hi, Tim my is name, the worst introduction possible.
She giggles and says, Hi, Sarah my is name.
I laugh at her humor and then her name reminds me of the Triceratops from the land before time.
I used to like that movie growing up.

Thanks Rilla, really dug that line about wrapping G in your covers.

Originally Posted by Alchemiss

I write mostly memoirs but would like to mix nonfiction with fiction. Has anyone in the NYC area taken a class with Gotham Writers Workshop?

I did the online one. It was a bit pricey, but definitely worth it, especially if don't have a creative writing program in your school/out of school.

Back
Top Bottom