The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

what's good everyone, I wanted to get a camera but not a DSLR, looking at Canon Gx7, G16, S120 & Sony Rx100 cuz I'm on the go alot and I want somethin more convenient but still takes quality shots... any suggestions/recommendations?

How's the quality of these other "off brand" lense anyways?

I heard they are exactly like Canon's, which isn't saying much cause the Canon one's are total crap as well but that is why the price is so cheap. Yongnuo just makes it cheaper taking the Canon badge off it.

what's good everyone, I wanted to get a camera but not a DSLR, looking at Canon Gx7, G16, S120 & Sony Rx100 cuz I'm on the go alot and I want somethin more convenient but still takes quality shots... any suggestions/recommendations?

Without even hesitating, the Sony RX100 or if you can afford it, the new RX100 with the viewfinder. That camera has literally crushed all of Canon's pro level point and shoots. I think it's a tad bit more expensive but worth the extra cost if you ask me.

How do you guys get such spot-on focus? I feel like I'm way off sometimes, especially when trying to focus on the eyes. Is it a matter of just setting the AF point and waiting until it gives you the red-dot? If so, could it be the setup I have isn't as accurate? (t4i & 50mm 1.4) When I set my images true to size sometimes I feel like they could be sharper.

How do you guys get such spot-on focus? I feel like I'm way off sometimes, especially when trying to focus on the eyes. Is it a matter of just setting the AF point and waiting until it gives you the red-dot? If so, could it be the setup I have isn't as accurate? (t4i & 50mm 1.4) When I set my images true to size sometimes I feel like they could be sharper.

Well, one shooting at 1.4 isn't necessary always the best choice when shooting faces. That is where you get some odd focus issues with one part of the face being in focus the rest being blurred. I tend to shoot f/2 or even f/2.8 to get a clear face. F/1.4 can definitely produce nice results and even better bokeh but it's a give and take at times. Like when I shoot concert stuff, I am forced to shoot as open as I can but I get so many bad shots that it's not even funny but seeing how there is no light in the venues, that is the only thing I can do to get some focused shots with no blur.

Check out this guys concert photos. Notice almost all shots he shows are around f/2.8 with high ISO to compensate.

http://petapixel.com/2014/06/17/camera-settings-concert-photography/

yea, at 1.4 your depth of feild is shallow and whatever is a few inches or more ahead or behind your focus point is

Well without the sample shots, to add to what was said above; you should consider distance to your subject as well. If you are shooting at f/1.4 with that 50mm on a crop sensor camera (making it closer to a 85ish mm), your depth of field is going to be extremely shallow. If even their face is turned at an angle slightly...you're almost guaranteed to get one one blurry eye, and one in focus eye. You can  shoot at f/1.4 if you increase the distance to your subject because it increases your field for which can be in focus. Just something else to consider instead of just aperture when trying to get sharp shots. 

As far as the overall unhappiness of the sharpness of your pictures, most lenses arent sharpest wide open. If you shoot stopped down at 2.8 or f/4, you'll probably see an increase in sharpness overall.

Last edited:

Manual focus, zone focus, not shooting wide open. It's a lot of trial and error and seeing what works best with your gear. I guarantee you if you stop down to f/4 on your 50, you'll get some pretty clear shots.

I use live view and zoom in on the eyes of the subject and manual focus if I am shooting wide open f/1.2 - f/2.8. It works great but not if you are focusing on a quick moving subject. Since I have used this technique I have had way more keepers (non blurry images) than using autofocus.

also in addition to what has already been mentioned is changing your AF mode to center, if it isn't already set to that, rather than flexible or multi, etc. (the names may vary depending on your camera), this mode just tells the camera what you want to focus on is in the middle of the frame, then you can half button press to get your focus point, holding the shutter to reframe, then take the picture; because otherwise the camera is deciding what to focus on. obviously not the best technique for action/moving pics though...

got another old manual lens today #gearacquisitionsyndrome...

Thanks for all the advice so far, I guess I do shoot at 1.4 more than I should, but I also think it's pretty difficult to see exactly where my focus point is at when looking through my viewfinder. Here are a few pics. (Pre-edits - Zoomed in at the eye/focus point*)

I shot this one at f/1.4, don't really know why. I can't tell where the focus is here.

I think I got his ears/just behind the eyes in this photo. This was shot at f/2.8, although he was moving a bit, not fast, but I'm still not quick when it comes to focusing manually.

I think I got the eyes in this one though. Shot at f/2.2.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice so far, I guess I do shoot at 1.4 more than I should, but I also think it's pretty difficult to see exactly where my focus point is at when looking through my viewfinder. Here are a few pics. (Pre-edits - Zoomed in at the eye/focus point*)

I shot this one at f/1.4, don't really know why. I can't tell where the focus is here.

I think I got his ears/just behind the eyes in this photo. This was shot at f/2.8, although he was moving a bit, not fast, but I'm still not quick when it comes to focusing manually.

I think I got the eyes in this one though. Shot at f/2.2.

What ISO was the first one shot at? It looks overly grainy for a brightly lit subject.

Definitely got the ear/glasses on the second one. I think autofocus at 2.8 in his general eye region would have got it.

Third one looks like you just missed the eyes altogether. It may have focused on the wall behind it, or if you did focus it perfectly, your lens could be suffering from back-focusing. Could definitely be true if you nailed the eyes on the second photo and still got the ear.

What ISO was the first one shot at? It looks overly grainy for a brightly lit subject.

Definitely got the ear/glasses on the second one. I think autofocus at 2.8 in his general eye region would have got it.

Third one looks like you just missed the eyes altogether. It may have focused on the wall behind it, or if you did focus it perfectly, your lens could be suffering from back-focusing. Could definitely be true if you nailed the eyes on the second photo and still got the ear.

First one was shot at ISO 400. Don't think I needed/should've had it up that high. I should've taken it down and decrease the shutter speed.

I hope it's not that. I'd rather me just needing more practice lol. I can't afford another lens, and don't want to go back to the kit lens. I'm still in the learning process so I'm hoping to get better with time.

First one was shot at ISO 400. Don't think I needed/should've had it up that high. I should've taken it down and decrease the shutter speed.

I hope it's not that. I'd rather me just needing more practice lol. I can't afford another lens, and don't want to go back to the kit lens. I'm still in the learning process so I'm hoping to get better with time.

Forgot to mention in the previous post. You're exactly right! Just keep shooting and you'll find your style and develop your technique. Don't feel discouraged - ever. Just keep doing you and you'll learn if you keep shooting. :D

Straight out of the camera. Need to put in some work later. Haven't shot anything in over 2 months :x...While here I realized having a 70-200 f/2.8 would've been a better choice than my 24-105L. Saving up for one now.

Quality is bad since I exported them in medium quality from iphoto.

Post! There are enough helpful eyes in here to point you in the right direction!

Straight out of the camera. Need to put in some work later. Haven't shot anything in over 2 months :x...While here I realized having a 70-200 f/2.8 would've been a better choice than my 24-105L. Saving up for one now.

Dope. I live in South Beach and always think about renting an exotic to shoot with an "exotic"

Dope. I live in South Beach and always think about renting an exotic to shoot with an "exotic"

That would be epicness in the making, the more the merrier. That's something I've wanted to do also but I need to get flash gear. Been wanting to become a photographer for an exotic dealership so I can do that. That is one of my goals this year.

Straight out of the camera. Need to put in some work later. Haven't shot anything in over 2 months
sick.gif
...While here I realized having a 70-200 f/2.8 would've been a better choice than my 24-105L. Saving up for one now.

Found about this a couple of hours too late about this. Wish I could of made it. Nice shots!

Found about this a couple of hours too late about this. Wish I could of made it. Nice shots!

Thanks! Catch the next one next month. Happens the 1st Sat. of every month and there might be 2 LaFerrari's at the next one along with the other 3 bad boys stealing the show. :tongue:

HMU if you decide to go! I'll send you a reminder on ig.

Just added you on ig, You got all those shots with your kit lens? If so just goes to show having the best equipment doesn't always give you best of shots unless you know what you're doing. Sweet feed!

Back
Top Bottom