The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^^^^It's like having your own personal portfolio. I mean that is how I look at it anyways. Some people use it as a hosting site to post on even here. Others use it as a social media thing where you can follow others and check what they do. I only post my best photos on there and if anyone ever wanted to see my work, I'd give them that link over say my blog or even IG. Although even IG has become a new standard in showing off your photos as well.

Thanks chief. Been looking to get a filter to get those silky smooth lines but I don't shoot landscapes enough, I need to get out more.

WORD.

You're car shots are hella clean and crispy, no doubt! Them shots on your flickr straight :nthat:

'preciate it...but i'm still just a rookie in the game with a lot of work to do, but that's what makes photography fun.

Saw this. It could be new Incase camera bags but not totally sure. This is the Kelly Slater collection.

DSC04179.jpg

I'm back home from the Christmas/Holiday break and it's been too cold out to shoot. I feel like the snow and ice on the trees would make for some nice photos, but don't think there's clothes warm enough for this weather lol

Shooting at f/1.4 on a cropped senor will not get you the same look as with shooing f/1.4 on a full frame sensor.

f/1.4 on a cropped would be the same as f/2.1 on full. That's why full frame photos shot at f/1.4 look so much more buttery than they do with a cropped sensor at f/1.4.

i had no idea haha thanks for the info

First time actually posting shots in here. Recently went to Hawaii in early December and soaked in a few days of the Billabong Pipe Masters at North Shore. Absolutely :wow: in person! Didn't have a DSLR at the time, so all these were shot from shore with my point and shoot Nikon Coolpix S8100.

Keep the oceans and palm trees coming...make me forget about this Chicago winter :x :smh:

Last edited:
Now you know.....I honestly never knew that to that degree.

Yup. If you multiply the cropped focal length by the sensor size (1.5, 1.6 , depending on the camera) to get the 35mm equivalent, gotta do it to the aperture too!

i've read that isn't exactly true for aperture, used as a rough estimate if the goal is to get the same depth of field/picture as on full frame it is a good guide generally; but a1.4 lens is supposed to be a 1.4 lens regardless of the format (the f-number is a mathematical relationship between the max aperture dimension in relation to the focal length); but larger sensors do absorb more light. i don't know what the math is for full frame vs. crop sensor aperture equivalence is though...

generally full frame gets less noise, slightly better image quality, and a much shallower depth of field at fast apertures/wide open than the same aperture on crop sensors, basically the smaller the format the greater the depth of field at the same aperture for the same effective focal length...

i've read that isn't exactly true for aperture, used as a rough estimate if the goal is to get the same depth of field/picture as on full frame it is a good guide generally; but a1.4 lens is supposed to be a 1.4 lens regardless of the format (the f-number is a mathematical relationship between the max aperture dimension in relation to the focal length); but larger sensors do absorb more light. i don't know what the math is for full frame vs. crop sensor aperture equivalence is though...

generally full frame gets less noise, slightly better image quality, and a much shallower depth of field at fast apertures/wide open than the same aperture on crop sensors, basically the smaller the format the greater the depth of field at the same aperture for the same effective focal length...

As far as light gathering goes 1.4 on crop and full frame is the same. The reason for the full frame being more creamy is due to the crop factor.

Finally made the puchase. Next up is the 50-140 and either a 23 1.4 or a x100t.

Still can't bring myself to sell my 7D lol
Dope man congrats. One of these days ill pickup the 56. I sold my 7d and have no regrets. I don't shoot much fast action these days so don't miss the focus speed of the 7d. I hated the high iso noise of the 7d after I started using the x100s. Xtrans is pretty sick!

Back
Top Bottom