The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Does anyone have 2 IGs? I feel like I need to keep my wedding/family stuff separate from my models/fashion.
I have two, wish I didn't since its such a hassle to switch accounts.

can someone point me to a tutorial on the 'proper' way to edit a photo in photoshop?

No proper way, it's all subjective. I suppose you need to learn what each setting changes and how it effects the photo. Once you learn what they do and what you want the picture to look like, you're golden

Here's a photo I took of a friend. I was going for a kind of dramatic look, but any criticisms are welcome. I feel like I need to experiment more with lighting techniques as well.

p.s. has anyone tried going to their local fabric stores for backdrops? I got one a few days ago from there, and although it isn't very wide, it's pretty thick. I think it'll make for some decent head/upper body shots.

Thank you!

Is it sturdy enough for a larger camera? I have a 6D. Not sure if anyone knows. It looks really cool + convenient.

Edit: Looks like it's only entry level DSLRs.

No worries, homie!

Are you looking for a real tripod or just a small portable one? If so, I recommend the Gorilla Pod's.

Thank you!

Is it sturdy enough for a larger camera? I have a 6D. Not sure if anyone knows. It looks really cool + convenient.

yea, that's it...honestly it looks cooler than it is useful; if that makes sense...but it is relatively small & stable. it barely holds any of my cameras when a long lens is attached & my cameras are pretty compact...i think depending on the lens it may be workable

Thank you!

No worries, homie!

Are you looking for a real tripod or just a small portable one? If so, I recommend the Gorilla Pod's.
I shall look into that.

I also need a remote!

MJbetch, you need to bring back your old avy :tongue:.

Dont know jack bout cameras ( even tho I worked at Canon USA for over a yr lol).
Can yall recommend me a great photog camera under a g? ( preferably Canon or Nikon)

My wife got a Rebel Xt gifted to her a while back. She learned off that, got her start w/some great gigs and
is looking to get something more decent.

Last edited:
Dont know jack bout cameras ( even tho I worked at Canon USA for over a yr lol).
Can yall recommend me a great photog camera under a g? ( preferably Canon or Nikon)

My wife got a Rebel Xt gifted to her a while back. She learned off that, got her start w/some great gigs and
is looking to get something more decent.

Here's a photo I took of a friend. I was going for a kind of dramatic look, but any criticisms are welcome. I feel like I need to experiment more with lighting techniques as well.

p.s. has anyone tried going to their local fabric stores for backdrops? I got one a few days ago from there, and although it isn't very wide, it's pretty thick. I think it'll make for some decent head/upper body shots.

I don't use cloth ever since I starting investing in Savage seamless paper. I order them from Amazon and have not regretted getting any rolls yet. The lighting could use a little work as well. I also strongly believe in retouching when shooting portraits especially with side lighting which embellishes bad skin. You can practice editing with sample RAW images from Model Mayhem http://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/thread/76. Keep shooting and finding your grove! Here are some recent edits I did from MM (not my images). Click image for Hi-Res copy.

I don't use cloth ever since I starting investing in Savage seamless paper. I order them from Amazon and have not regretted getting any rolls yet. The lighting could use a little work as well. I also strongly believe in retouching when shooting portraits especially with side lighting which embellishes bad skin. You can practice editing with sample RAW images from Model Mayhem http://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/thread/76. Keep shooting and finding your grove! Here are some recent edits I did from MM (not my images).

I second the use of solid color seamless roll paper just because the wrinkles/creases fabric backdrops are annoying and no amount of ironing seems to get them out for me. I only truly use fabric when shooting still life because of the different print options.

Back
Top Bottom