The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Had an eshoot yesterday, felt good to get back on the grind with some couples...also had to return the 100L but I faired well with the ext tubes....just a pain in the but to focus.

Was recommended getting the Sony a6000 for an upgrade. Anyone know if that cam is worth buying? I'm about to start doing some research on it now.

i have an sony nex 6, which the a6000 is the new & upgraded version of (technically it replaces the nex 7 as well)...i think the nex 6 is a great camera---for me anyways, because the thing i cared most about was having the best image quality in an interchangeable lens camera that i could fit in my pocket. the a6000 is supposed to have really fast AF that combines traditional contrast detection with increased on sensor phase detection, which helps i think more for moving subjects or quick flicks. there are so many great cameras available that the question you prolly want to ask yourself is "what do I want to do with this camera?" how much do you have to spend? how much do WANT to spend? i will say that fully functioning af lenses for the sony e-mount system aren't really all that cheap nor is there a great selection, so if auto focus lens options/selections is important to you the sony system may not be for you...

though i think one of the great bonuses of mirror cameras is the option to put just about any lens on them via adapters, found this one for $40

What did you end up with, D610?
I ended up with the D600 for a slightly cheaper price than the D610. I ran into a hell of a deal shortly later for the D800 and thats now where I sit :nthat:

But yea, before all this, I had only owned Canon stuff and wanted to stay loyal, but the 6D looked so unimpressive I started looking to see what Nikon had to offer to compare.

I think this topic came up before and I was recommending people who were looking at the 6D and D600 to go with the Nikon. The 6D didn't offer slightly worse specs, it offered terrible specs compared to the D600. The D600 is a great camera when I initially had it. I'm back to a D610 after leaving Canon.

For those doing paid concert/performance photography, are you contacting venues to see if you can provide the service or are you getting in touch with performers to provide the service?

You guys post all of this right after I JUST picked up the 6D. Got me feeling like :frown: now

What is it that you guys didn't like about it specifically? Just low light performance and action shooting? I was going to do some rolling shots with my 6D once I get a good handle on it.

Last edited:
You guys post all of this right after I JUST picked up the 6D. Got me feeling like
frown.gif
now

What is it that you guys didn't like about it specifically? Just low light performance and action shooting? I was going to do some rolling shots with my 6D once I get a good handle on it.
laugh.gif
 My bad man. End of the day, the 6D is still a very capable camera that is more than equipped to take pretty pictures.

I personally was just let down at what it offered, considering its price. I think most people were imagining 7D type specs w/ a full frame sensor when the 6D was announced. For me the biggest thing missing from my wish list were the AF points. Entry level cameras come with 9. the 7D had 19 (or was it 21?). You pay 2k+ and only give me 2 more AF points than a T4i?!

That was just my opinion, and I believed it enough to switch camps entirely. I don't know how long you've been shooting, but your 6D still produces professional quality images, regardless of the amount of AF points.

:lol:  My bad man. End of the day, the 6D is still a very capable camera that is more than equipped to take pretty pictures.

I personally was just let down at what it offered, considering its price. I think most people were imagining 7D type specs w/ a full frame sensor when the 6D was announced. For me the biggest thing missing from my wish list were the AF points. Entry level cameras come with 9. the 7D had 19 (or was it 21?). You pay 2k+ and only give me 2 more AF points than a T4i?!

That was just my opinion, and I believed it enough to switch camps entirely. I don't know how long you've been shooting, but your 6D still produces professional quality images, regardless of the amount of AF points.

I think for what I'm going to be using it for it has enough AF points which is why I got it. Yes more is better but eh I think it's more of how you use it and the equipment which can produce some stunning images. I've asked around a lot and some of the photographers that I follow use the 6D so I guess that's what made me go that route vs the MKii.

^ yup if it suits you and you're happy with it, nothing else really matters. I'd def choose the 6D over the MKii as well. 

took these in san juan puerto rico this week. nikon d90.

btw i want to take photos for 420 anyone know any good cities to go besides denver. thanks in advance

Last edited:
I've been doing a lot more instant stuff because 1) it's less time consuming and 2) instant gratification.

last shot is perfect. love the overall mood, and tone of it. #TEAMMOBILE! haha

#onarelatednote has anyone tried the new google camera app on android? it does this this thing where it stitches together images like a panorama but 360º (up, down, side to side, diagonally) and uses the accelerometer in the phone to pan through the image...its pretty sweet; theres also a shallow depth of field mode as well that work pretty good too!

had to run around for a bit yesterday (plasm tv died, spent a good deal of the day looking for the correct fuse...luckily i got the tv back functioning) took this 100mm (effectively a 150mm on my camera) out with me & stumbled upon some students celebrating holi (hindu hindu spring festival), everyone was very cool...i wish i would have had a wider lens with me and/could have stayed longer but i had so much to do i had to bounce...

_DSC0840.jpg by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

Anyone here know where I can get a good deal on a 77mm B+W MRC polarizer? :nerd: Or am I stuck with hitting up amazon...which is not bad atm considering what the og price is.

and also to make it work on my 28mm that has 55mm threading I get this correct?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...Iqq4cLP8L0CFYqIfgod0hYAIw&Q=&is=REG&A=details

I was thinking about getting a polarizer for my 28mm and just getting that ^ but then I realized it won't fit the 77mm threading. :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom