The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Shot the waves this past wknd in southern California

What's up fellas....I've been a lurker for many years and really dig the work you have all contributed (hope to eventually become a regular contributor myself)

Since $ is tight I own the following!
Canon T5
Nikon D3300
Canon SX170 (my P&S which I keep on standby)

Some lense suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I favor shooting landscapes, and would like to eventually do portraits for family & friends. I'm a "noob" but here are a couple of contributions. Keep in mind I know nothing about photography but open to learning.

Sup guise, photography newb here who has never owned a camera outside of the one attached to a smart phone, also an architectural major who just enrolled into an architectural photography class. I am now in the market for a dslr and would really like yall's opinion on which to go with. My budget has my options narrowed down to only entry level cameras so I am looking at the following bundles from bestbuy...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nikon-d...lack/3643029.p?id=1219092579150&skuId=3643029

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-e...lack/1004002.p?id=1219459331617&skuId=1004002

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/canon-r...lack/8754125.p?id=1219378312084&skuId=8754125

you'll probably want a nice sharp wide angle lens, to go with whatever camera you choose; and if you'll likely be using it primarily for photos that are still architecture, autofocus might not be super important so i'd recommend looking at samyang (also branded rokinon) manual lenses...great quality and relatively inexpensive

brrrrr, cold on these streets:

storm essentials by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

mr. plow by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

Untitled by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

the walkers by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

covered: downtown crossing by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

brrrrrrr by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

Last edited:
Some lense suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I favor shooting landscapes, and would like to eventually do portraits for family & friends. I'm a "noob" but here are a couple of contributions. Keep in mind I know nothing about photography but open to learning.

well landscape & portraiture are kinda considered as being on opposite ends on the spectrum when it comes to what the usual lenses are, people go wide angle (less than 35mm) for landscapes & telephoto (over 70mm) for portraits (35-70 is said to be in the normal range) but obviously you can use any lens for anything...probably the most wanted features in a lens is a large aperture (gives you a bit more flexibility as far as shooting conditions) & sharpness, you can look into renting lenses if you want to try certain lenses out...

well landscape & portraiture are kinda considered as being on opposite ends on the spectrum when it comes to what the usual lenses are, people go wide angle (less than 35mm) for landscapes & telephoto (over 70mm) for portraits (35-70 is said to be in the normal range) but obviously you can use any lens for anything...probably the most wanted features in a lens is a large aperture (gives you a bit more flexibility as far as shooting conditions) & sharpness, you can look into renting lenses if you want to try certain lenses out...
Appreciate the insight. For someone with a Canon T5, any suggestions on an affordable lens with a a are aperature? Ive managed with the 18-55 kit lens, but figured id start to diversify a bit. My price rage is up to $300-400 if that helps.

^^^^^^I don't know that many people that have it but from what I hear, the Canon 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 is supposed to be a really good budget wide angle for only $300. It's pretty slow though but it'd be used for landscapes and long exposures. I always recommend the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 too but you'd have to spend a tad bit more for it. There is the 24mm pancake too that is affordable too.

I've got a 60D but a bud let me hold his 6D for the Washington Auto Show this week.  Its a lot of camera for me but was a blast to use.  Peep some pics below and more on my lame site here.  More to come.  Peace

Nice! What lens were you shooting with? Really liked the volvo belt shot on the engine that's on your site.

Back
Top Bottom