The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I went to the first 2 meetings. It was definitely cool at first but I got over the whole thing really fast. Maybe because it was really unorganized back then and we spent like 2-3 hours walking around the same block..

Maybe it's just not for me, but if you're barely getting into photography or are looking to connect you should definitely check it out. I guess I enjoy being a lone-shooter like Fong.

I agree with arsenal with the social aspect of it all. I mean if you are a person that likes shooting with a crowd, then this is perfect. So many people to interact with, drink and just talk photography and what not. I don't hate on it with that but I do hate how (for me) I would't be productive with so many people out. I tend to clam up when there are so many people shooting the same thing. Of course I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't think I was doing original shooting. Actually I am sort of purposely finding all these IG spots in SF just to know how things are done but at least I do it in peace and it's my own personal adventure.

Still though, the Flashmob thing is apparent and notable. Can't deny their presence in this photography thing. Looking at those pics makes me realize how saturated the "industry" is if you want to call it that. Probably why this is only a hobby for me and not a career. If I did this as a job, I'd probably hate it. Got people shooting things with Go Pros, phones, point and shoots and all doing better than even me. Haha.

ran into my friend yesterday and got a couple of snaps:

Messing around with the fisheye on campus. I'm still trying to get the hang of it. I feel like I don't even need to manually focus. I just focus to infinity with f/8 and fire away. I'm glad the aperture control works with my D3200. Metering is a bit off, but I never thought it was that accurate to begin with. Hopefully I can get some more practice this weekend.

Last edited:
^^^^Yup. The luxury of a fisheye is most of the time, you can just shoot at infinity if you aperture is closed up. It's just when there is a subject in front of you where you need to focus a little more.

Messing around with the fisheye on campus. I'm still trying to get the hang of it. I feel like I don't even need to manually focus. I just focus to infinity with f/8 and fire away. I'm glad the aperture control works with my D3200. Metering is a bit off, but I never thought it was that accurate to begin with. Hopefully I can get some more practice this weekend.

some classify it as a novelty lens, but i think it is a pretty awesome style of lens and really fun to shoot with, not only can you step back to fit a lot in the frame but you can move in pretty close, and they are great in tight spaces too! enjoy!!

this is one of my favorite pics i've taken with the mirrorless version of this lens, from the backseat of a cramped taxi cab in china:

time traveling by me_myself_n_eye, on Flickr

some classify it as a novelty lens, but i think it is a pretty awesome style of lens and really fun to shoot with, not only can you step back to fit a lot in the frame but you can move in pretty close, and they are great in tight spaces too! enjoy!!

this is one of my favorite pics i've taken with the mirrorless version of this lens, from the backseat of a cramped taxi cab in china:

Very dope shot. What shutter speed was this shot at to get those light trails? I feel like camera shake isn't as big of a factor with the fisheye. Is that due to the ultra-wide angle?

A good rule of thumb with camera shake is to keep the shutter speed at 1/focal length. For an 8mm fisheye on a crop camera that works out to about 1/12

not sure, have to look at the exif data to be sure but it was relatively slow (a general rule for hand holding is not to go below 1/effective focal length, so in this case of this lens as slow as 1/13s)..i believe camera shake is just less apparent the wider angle of the lens, it's still there just not as noticeable

wait for the mk4 so prices on mk2 can drop.
If the MKIV doesn't live up to the hype Canon might regret it this cycle.

Just holding out for 4K on the MKIV if not time to jump ship with the rest. (The Skin tones have kept me with them long enough).

What DSLR camera has 4K right now? Just Sony and Panasonic?

I don't know. Would seem odd to push the Mark 4 as more of a video up grade rather than a photo one. 5D has always stayed as a photography camera. I would just assume the autofocus would be better and ISO. Maybe they plan on upgrading the 1DX since that seems to be super discounted now.

the newest samsung mirrorless cameras also shoot 4k...its maybe more of future-proofing thing than anything (most people don't even have 4k capable rigs/tvs) but being able to shoot 4k is great for cropping & downscaling to 1080p or 720...plus many people are shooting both stills & video with the 5d mk iii, to the point where many people use it solely for video...so it would seem very likely that it would be on the table, especially with the a7s & gh4 encroaching a bit on its territory & both being high quality cheaper setups...

Last edited:
What DSLR camera has 4K right now? Just Sony and Panasonic?

I don't know. Would seem odd to push the Mark 4 as more of a video up grade rather than a photo one. 5D has always stayed as a photography camera. I would just assume the autofocus would be better and ISO. Maybe they plan on upgrading the 1DX since that seems to be super discounted now.
Well the only other DSLR is the only one Canon made the 1DC which just got a $4000 price drop so it might be in the cards

The Canon 5Ds and 5Ds R are due to hit shelves in June and will be available for $3,700 and $3,900 USD, respectively.

Thank you! I just studied there last semester and tried to travel as much as possible

that's ill, i wish i would have traveled at all in my brief time in europe...but i was the definition of broke at the time and didn't take the risk. eventually it is something i hope i get to do again

Man all that sky is not contemplating the picture IMHO. I would of have zoomed in a bit.

In addition the images look a bit over exposed for my taste.

Back
Top Bottom