The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Alright......time to do some shooting this weekend. If anyone was interested in this lens, I'll let you know if it is worth the money or not which is probably going to be a yes cause it even has a 5 year limited warranty on it.

img_6162.jpg
image1.jpg

So far from just staring at it:

- Lens is definitely heavy. This will be some serious weight difference in my camera bag. Probably will carry this solo without any other lenses.
- Build quality is good but not great but worth the price you pay. I am used to my 2 L-lens that I believe are weather sealed. This is all plastic which means the internals is really what makes this lens so damn heavy.
- This is dumb but the rear lens cap seems super generic. It like doesn't even go with the rest of the lens.
- Never owned a 3rd party lens and honestly hated Tamron among all the other ones out there but this lens really feels like you are owning something way more, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Yeah the Tamron rear cap I have is pretty wonky. When i screw it onto the body cap of my cap it doesnt really have a tight seal.

I've never had a problem with third-party lenses however. Even now I'm only down to a few and the only Nikon I have is the 50mm

Alright......time to do some shooting this weekend. If anyone was interested in this lens, I'll let you know if it is worth the money or not which is probably going to be a yes cause it even has a 5 year limited warranty on it.

img_6162.jpg
image1.jpg

I've been eyeing this for a while and would love some insight from the NT brethren. I've been contemplating getting the Tamron, the 16-35 f4 or just getting the 16-35 2.8 II despite all the bad things I hear about it.

What else is in your bag right now?

Last edited:
Yeah the Tamron rear cap I have is pretty wonky. When i screw it onto the body cap of my cap it doesnt really have a tight seal.

I've never had a problem with third-party lenses however. Even now I'm only down to a few and the only Nikon I have is the 50mm

I've always just heard a lot of sharpness issues with 3rd party lenses but I am talking about the really older lenses. I even was looking at an old Sigma back when I had a Rebel and all I would hear is how it would not focus. Of course these guys have come a long way from then to now but the only 3rd party company that seems to be really doing it right is Sigma with their Art series.

I've been eyeing this for a while and would love some insight from the NT brethren. I've been contemplating getting the Tamron, the 16-35 f4 or just getting the 16-35 2.8 II despite all the bad things I hear about it.

What else is in your bag right now?

I got a 24mm L and a 50mm L. So this Tamron really just covers the ultra wide side. I've always been partial to ultra wide lenses and oddly never really had one while owning a full frame. I could just never narrow it down whether I wanted the 16-35mm or the 14mm prime. I was even going to sell my 5D and go back to Nikon and get the 14-24mm which is what I always wanted but thank god this lens came out and just solved all of that.

Yeah, I've always heard how great the Nikkor 14-24 is. I can only imagine if Canon released a 14-24 2.8 it would be over $4K probably :x

I don't know too much about the 14mm, but from the images I've seen from it, it produces some great images.

Either way, I'd love to see some shots from you with the 15-30 and your thoughts on it after you spend some time with it.

And how's the 24L? I've been meaning to pick one up eventually. I have the 35L, but I think the 24L will give me the ability to go wider when I need it and plus it's f/1.4.

Canon had it's chance to make a 14-24mm but it came in the form of that 11-24mm. So I doubt there will be anymore utltrawides on the horizon. I think the next lens is going to be the new 50mm L.

14mm prime has some sharpness issues on the corners. I think that is why it never trumped the Nikon 14-24mm. That says a lot about that Nikon considering it's a zoom.

24mm has been a good lens but I wouldn't say it's for everyone. I will say it's more versatile than the 35mm meaning that you can use it for landscapes and even some wide angle portraits. The 35mm definitely has a better portrait look where more of the body will be in frame with bokeh. You can achieve some nice bokeh on the 24mm but your subject matter would be shot pretty close like below:

5950006009_b3848a515d_b.jpg

Great lens though. I use it way more than my 50mm.

And I'll definitely get some images up on the Tamron within the next couple of days. I would go out tonight but work got me locked down.

Last edited:
Most images I've seen from the 24L have a certain look to it that I enjoy just like that image; idk, there's something about it. I guess I may need to pick that up eventually.

The widest I can go right now is 24mm but that's with the 24-105. As great as that lens has been for me, I've totally neglected it after I picked up the 35L and 50L. I've read quite a few articles about f4 is the new f2.8, but I always feel limited with it doing low light events.

You mentioned that you switched systems; what made you go to Canon if you don't mind me asking?

I actually have been bouncing back and forth with Nikon and Canon since with point and shoots but with DSLRs, I had the Rebel XTi first, the Nikon D90 after cause I loved their 10.5mm fisheye that Canon didn't have and then went to the 5D Mark 2 cause they had a good deal at Best Buy. Now I have the 5D Mark 3 and doubt I will invest back into the Nikon system. From just a personal preference with DSLRs, I do like Nikon over Canon. I am not brand loyal so I can go to any system if it offers what I do. I am thinking about investing in a Sony for my smaller DLSR for trips.

I actually have been bouncing back and forth with Nikon and Canon since with point and shoots but with DSLRs, I had the Rebel XTi first, the Nikon D90 after cause I loved their 10.5mm fisheye that Canon didn't have and then went to the 5D Mark 2 cause they had a good deal at Best Buy. Now I have the 5D Mark 3 and doubt I will invest back into the Nikon system. From just a personal preference with DSLRs, I do like Nikon over Canon. I am not brand loyal so I can go to any system if it offers what I do. I am thinking about investing in a Sony for my smaller DLSR for trips.

I remember earlier in this thread were several of us were having a discussion about shooting at venues and policies respective venues/events have with bringing DSLRs. I do have a Canon P&S that used to use for music festivals/concerts. While my SX170IS was very reliable, I just might invest in an A5100/A6000 for use in these scenarios.

Once you are invested in a system I think its hard to change, especially after you invest many dollars in accessories and lenses specific to that brand. Turning around and selling everything wouldn't be an option for me because you lose value and end up having to invest even more money to make that change.

First time using lightroom , just messing around with it. Bad picture though in terms of clarity. Don't really shoot landscapes lol 

Last edited:
Just purchased the Canon 6d(Body Only). Needed some insight on what lenses to go with. I only have the 50 mm 1.8. Most of what I'm shooting are people, concerts, skating events, basketball games, and also football games.

Just purchased the Canon 6d(Body Only). Needed some insight on what lenses to go with. I only have the 50 mm 1.8. Most of what I'm shooting are people, concerts, skating events, basketball games, and also football games.
I have a 6D as well and have 4 lenses. 70-200L 2.8 IS, 24-85, 24-105, 50 1.4. Just depends on what you want to shoot.

By the way, went with the 70-200 for weddings. Not sure if I will keep it or rent when needed.

Untitled by JayLenard, on Flickr

Last edited:

You're shooting a wide variety of events so you may need to invest in multiple lenses. I don't know what your budget is, but for basketball and football games, I love using the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II. It's a beast of a lens and has never failed me. It focuses quickly, the images are sharp and it renders colors very well in my opinion. It's also great for portraits; the compression you get at 200mm is fantastic and at 70mm, you can still get full body shots and shots of groups if necessary if you have room to work with. While it is very expensive at $2099, it's a great investment if you're going to be shooting sports, low light events or portraits; it's a very versatile lens. The f/4 versions are also great and way more affordable; you could take a look at those as well. The 70-200 f/4 is $649.

The 24-70 2.8 II may be a lens that can handle everything you're doing. It's sharp and very versatile as well. You could use this lens for concerts, skating events, street photography, portraits and sports as well. Once again though, it's very expensive at $1899, but worth the investment in the long run. An alternative to this would be the 24-105 f/4 IS. It has longer reach and has IS, but the f/4 may limit you; however, with the 6D, you could push your ISO and be fine in low light. I think you can tell the difference between the lenses as the 24-105 may not be as sharp and overall image quality is a notch below the 24-70, but you can find one for around $650 used or $999 new nowadays. Despite any knocks on the 24-105, it's a great lens and one I'd recommend for starting any kit especially when you find one fairly cheap comparatively speaking.

I do realize that most of what I've recommended are higher end lenses, but that's all I have experience with. I started with the kit lenses on my T1i, then bought the 50 1.8 like you and then went to the 24mm pancake (which is a fantastic lens in its own right; priced at $149) and started gravitating towards the L series lenses with with 24-105 when I upgraded to the 5D3. There are many other less expensive alternatives out there though.

Last edited:

Damn yo. Nice upgrade.

All the things you want to shoot would be on the long end but the worst thing about buying telephoto lenses is how you never really use them. I would suggest an 85mm. There's the 85mm 1.8 that is good for the price and is really sharp as well. I am sure even a zoom might be more partial to what you want to shoot.

Skating wise though, it's all based on what you want to shoot and the environment and even the equipment like shooting with flash. Most of those guys in the industry shoot different varieties and an open aperture depends if you are really shooting flash or natural light.

I am sure you must have seen these but I loved the "How To" videos the Ride Channel used to do. Watching Atiba shoot and talk cameras makes me realize how I don't know anything with flash.

You're shooting a wide variety of events so you may need to invest in multiple lenses. I don't know what your budget is, but for basketball and football games, I love using the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II. It's a beast of a lens and has never failed me. It focuses quickly, the images are sharp and it renders colors very well in my opinion. It's also great for portraits; the compression you get at 200mm is fantastic and at 70mm, you can still get full body shots and shots of groups if necessary if you have room to work with. While it is very expensive at $2099, it's a great investment if you're going to be shooting sports, low light events or portraits; it's a very versatile lens. The f/4 versions are also great and way more affordable; you could take a look at those as well. The 70-200 f/4 is $649.

The 24-70 2.8 II may be a lens that can handle everything you're doing. It's sharp and very versatile as well. You could use this lens for concerts, skating events, street photography, portraits and sports as well. Once again though, it's very expensive at $1899, but worth the investment in the long run. An alternative to this would be the 24-105 f/4 IS. It has longer reach and has IS, but the f/4 may limit you; however, with the 6D, you could push your ISO and be fine in low light. I think you can tell the difference between the lenses as the 24-105 may not be as sharp and overall image quality is a notch below the 24-70, but you can find one for around $650 used or $999 new nowadays. Despite any knocks on the 24-105, it's a great lens and one I'd recommend for starting any kit especially when you find one fairly cheap comparatively speaking.

I do realize that most of what I've recommended are higher end lenses, but that's all I have experience with. I started with the kit lenses on my T1i, then bought the 50 1.8 like you and then went to the 24mm pancake (which is a fantastic lens in its own right; priced at $149) and started gravitating towards the L series lenses with with 24-105 when I upgraded to the 5D3. There are many other less expensive alternatives out there though.
This sounds like my life exactly. I just purchased the 70-200 2.8II and fell in love. I also have the 24-105, which now that I have the 70-200 I will sell and get the 24-70. I also picked up a 50mm 1.4 for portraits. I feel that wedding force your to be good at all aspects of photography. Andy having the "Holy Trinity" of Lenses gives you range.

@mikejs210  @Fongstarr  Thank for the advice and videos! I was talking to a pro skater turned photographer a couple weeks ago and he pretty much said that skate photography is like a formula. If you follow the formula you can't really go wrong(Most likely a fisheye lens and sometimes using two flashes depending on the natural lighting). Now all I gotta do is save up for the lenses lol. 

Thanks again for the wisdom yall. I still have a lot to learn

Back
Top Bottom