The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

50mm for 90% of your portraits?

Do you just use lightroom to fix any distortion on close up headshot type shots?

Or do u simply refrain from shots that will cause distortion at that focal length?

I did a portrait session with a 55mm and the photographer critiquing my work pointed out distortion and i've been overly self conscious of it ever since. :x :x

That photographer that claimed distortion at 50mm is an idiot :rofl:

You barely get any distortion with a 35mm, you not gonna be dealing with distortion of any kind at 50mm bro...

Shot this with a 50mm

:wow: :pimp:

Liked that on IG this morning :lol:

BTW i really like your editing style.

whats your workflow like?

Thanks for the love bro!

My flow is pretty simple...shoot raw, upload through LR do color correction, sharpness and contrast/highlights/shadow corrections, then concert to JPEG, if I'm gonna post on IG I upload through Flickr, save the largest file to my phone and do another edit on Enlighten app, it's not free but is the best editing app I've used on mobile....then do minor adjustments further with the IG editor...I've become meticulous as hell with my Instagram, it's almost ridiculous :lol:

finally realized u a sf native...i stay in the 707... i can second shoot for u at da wedding :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

just kidding brah... i wouldnt invite myself like that. :rofl: :rofl:

Just saw your add. Followed back.

Dude....no BS, my gig just got CANCELLED! Argh! I guess this was a budget wedding and they couldn't afford to burn $700. Oh well. I still have my cousin's engagement photos to do in 2 weeks. Maybe that'll spawn into some future business. I'd rather to do engagement photos anyways than a full fledged wedding.

Thanks for the love bro!

My flow is pretty simple...shoot raw, upload through LR do color correction, sharpness and contrast/highlights/shadow corrections, then concert to JPEG, if I'm gonna post on IG I upload through Flickr, save the largest file to my phone and do another edit on Enlighten app, it's not free but is the best editing app I've used on mobile....then do minor adjustments further with the IG editor...I've become meticulous as hell with my Instagram, it's almost ridiculous :lol:

no problem.

One of the things i enjoy about your processing is that it is unique in that its has very punchy contrast/saturation while still maintaining solid skin tones... :pimp:

finally realized u a sf native...i stay in the 707... i can second shoot for u at da wedding :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

just kidding brah... i wouldnt invite myself like that. :rofl: :rofl:

Dude....no BS, my gig just got CANCELLED! Argh! I guess this was a budget wedding and they couldn't afford to burn $700. Oh well. I still have my cousin's engagement photos to do in 2 weeks. Maybe that'll spawn into some future business. I'd rather to do engagement photos anyways than a full fledged wedding.

Dang :x :smh:

I got my first couple's shoot coming up in about 1.5 weeks and I got my first engagement session coming up in a couple months.

Nervous af :rofl:

They didn't wanna pay up 700$ for wedding photos!?...mannnnnnn get the hell outttaaaa here with that...their loss...don't dwell on that too much....unless the couple looks good and is trendy you didn't lose out on ANYTHING.

Dang :x :smh:

I got my first couple's shoot coming up in about 1.5 weeks and I got my first engagement session coming up in a couple months.

Nervous af :rofl:

Congrats bro! Don't be!!! Just enjoy the time, keep them engaged! And pick a good time of the day to shoot! DONOT shoot close to noon sun...start 2 hours before sundown, when you lock in that perfect sunlight...it's amazinnnnngggg

Since we on the topic of weddings and couples, I'll post some stuff up :smile:

Last edited:
50mm for 90% of your portraits?

Do you just use lightroom to fix any distortion on close up headshot type shots?

Or do u simply refrain from shots that will cause distortion at that focal length?

I did a portrait session with a 55mm and the photographer critiquing my work pointed out distortion and i've been overly self conscious of it ever since. :x :x

That photographer that claimed distortion at 50mm is an idiot :rofl:

You barely get any distortion with a 35mm, you not gonna be dealing with distortion of any kind at 50mm bro...

Shot this with a 50mm

great shots, i think the distortion is more apparent with headshot type portraits, where a subjects face fills the frame rather than full body shots where the camera is at some distance from the subject(s); depending on the angles/facial features involved it can be flattering or not so much

^ holy shhhh at those Yosemite pics. Kind of mad I didn't stumble upon this thread earlier. I'm sure I already follow a bunch of you on IG, but great stuff nonetheless.

Anyways, some stuff from a New England afternoon, shot with D7100, Tokina 11-16.

Not really much of a portrait photographer, but I do get asked to take some portraits here and there. I'm still learning. Definitely need to work on my posing.

GBRL8468.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

GBRL8491.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

GBRL8493.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

GBRL8542.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

GBRL8529.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

GBRL8597.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

GBRL8546.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

GBRL8568.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

GBRL8551.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

GBRL8580.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

Bonus:

FLM329.jpg by gabrieldiaz, on Flickr

Last edited:
^^^^^^That's rad dude. Solid stuff. First photo just natural light?

Thanks man. If I remember correctly, off camera flash. I remember I was trying to shoot off camera flash for some of those shots but wouldn't fire. I think that one is though judging by the whiteness in the foreheads. Also used one of those 5 in 1 reflectors.

Last edited:
^^^^^^One flash? I am assuming you are shooting in an area with a lot of shade right?

Since my wedding gig failed, I can now focus on my cousin's engagement photos in a couple of weeks. I am renting the 70-200mm for it and buying a reflector finally and going to every spot I know if in SF to shoot stuff. Since this is my first engagement shoot, I am actually going to just go to all the cliche engagement spots in SF just so I know at least the backdrop looks good, let alone the posing of the couple. Thankfully SF is a hot zone for engagement shoots and there is an abundant amount of stuff to use as references.

I think I asked this before but I have yet to master it. How is this photo done below? If the sun is lit in the back of them, I am assuming their bodies should be in total darkness. I know RAW files are used but I am thinking it's still not picking up that much light. Can a reflector pic up that much light if bounced back?

SF-engagement-21.jpg
SF-engagement-22.jpg
SF-engagement-17.jpg

Sooo I own a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8.

Would buying a 24mm STM 2.8 just be redundant?

A gripe I have with the Tamron is the size .. it can be heavy to lug around and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom