The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

no way

even if mirrorless becomes so much bigger, Canon and Nikon will simply focus more on that and be there toe to toe with Sony, Fuji, etc...

right now they just seem content where they are but again Canon is slowly but surely expanding their mirrorless line and Nikon claims to have something big in the works too

Anyone think Canon and Nikon end up like say, Polaroid and Kodak? Long, mainstay brands that fell behind the times or new trends...I tend to think mirrorless may become the majority in the next 10 years.

they both are almost a textbook cases of #theinnovatorsdilemma...it's unlikely here maybe because the shift mirrorless photography represents isn't something completely different, it is definitely possible though, because these other companies are building their lens catalog & tech for the future while both canon & nikon play the back focusing on their existing product lines...especially vulnerable is nikon, as i believe they really are only photography related (no serious cinema/video division, then they also don't have a diverse set of businesses to fall back on)...the camera business is & has been shrinking pretty dramatically, so it isn't inconceivable that quite a few of these camera companies could go under...computational photography on smartphones is getting better every few generations at churning out relatively high quality photo & video in a far more convenient, easier to use, and necessary/useful package than a dedicated camera...

Anyone have any recommendations on hand/wrist straps? Think it's about time I get one lol

bjamez20, you're killing it.

36170463344_1e18a4a7ca_c.jpg

36197811893_250f245c2c_c.jpg

36865635341_6989bd474a_c.jpg

As always more on https://www.instagram.com/manvsovsov/

Last edited:
What site you guys use to post your work? Is squarespace the best one? Pros n cons? Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks guys.

For street style photography im almost always on 1.8 on my 50mm. Should I break away from that habit? I do lik bokeh but at times when I have a wall as a background or I dont need bokeh I do go to say 3.5 just for it to be sharper. For the most part I do stay at 1.8 just for laziness sake.

For street style photography im almost always on 1.8 on my 50mm. Should I break away from that habit? I do lik bokeh but at times when I have a wall as a background or I dont need bokeh I do go to say 3.5 just for it to be sharper. For the most part I do stay at 1.8 just for laziness sake.
I'm usually at 5.6 when I shoot street. Except for Portraits.

So I am in a tough space with bags. I have an Incase DSLR Pro camp backpack. I like it a lot. But I'm thinking a tote for everyday use. Digging through this backpack is becoming annoying and my Lens rolled out an dropped to the floor.

well if you are getting the type of images you want, there is no problem; whether you should break that habit is a question that you have to ask yourself as far as what you need to do to challenge your skills and grow...but if you are at 1.8 (or 3.5) mostly 'just for laziness sake,' then you should prolly stop being lazy...

Still plenty of bokeh?

You'll get plenty of bokeh at 5.6 as long as you're using a longer lens (70-200 for example) it would create a greater depth of field. Try renting and go shoot somewhere in the city with plenty of space. I know you shoot yeezys in soho but maybe try a park etc.

I prefer shooting longer lenses for street. I like shooting the people more than the city

To me that is why it is even more intimidating and intrusive to the people you're shooting when you have a giant lens all stretched out?

I guess to some extent you could stand across the street and take a picture of people but I feel that also takes away from some of the experience.

I am not saying you need to be in their faces but you also need to be close enough without being too intrusive.

But that's me...

To me that is why it is even more intimidating and intrusive to the people you're shooting when you have a giant lens all stretched out?

True. I am not yet comfortable entirely. I feel weird.
One of my "remedies" is to wear a shirt that has my IG & FB info so I don't come off as a creeper but at least kinda like a photographer

When I took my girls to one of those mall playgrounds I was takin' pictures and one of the kids wanted me to take pics of her too. So I took a couple and made sure I went over to her dad and showed him the pics I took so he didn't think I was takin' anything inappropriate. Made me feel a better

I guess to some extent you could stand across the street and take a picture of people but I feel that also takes away from some of the experience.

I am not saying you need to be in their faces but you also need to be close enough without being too intrusive.

But that's me...

there really aren't any rules to (street) photography...other than the ones that are self imposed (for example wide angles for landscapes, medium wide to normal lenses 28-60mm for street, and telephotos for portraits are all accepted orthodox choices). almost any approach could be valid, bruce gilden made a name for himself taking up close portraits where he uses an obnoxious flash by surprise on people in the street, in which to be intrusive is almost the whole point!

being close, far, shallow depth of field, super saturated color, it just depends on what the person behind the camera wants to communicate/do...and i think most times we use these things formulaically without really thinking about what about or why a picture is interesting, not every photograph needs to (or can) be all planned out but every decision is an opportunity to be creative and knowing what you want to communicate/do & actually giving some thought to those decisions is another way to challenge/grow your photography...

True. I am not yet comfortable entirely. I feel weird.
One of my "remedies" is to wear a shirt that has my IG & FB info so I don't come off as a creeper but at least kinda like a photographer

When I took my girls to one of those mall playgrounds I was takin' pictures and one of the kids wanted me to take pics of her too. So I took a couple and made sure I went over to her dad and showed him the pics I took so he didn't think I was takin' anything inappropriate. Made me feel a better

just gotta embrace your inner creep bruv...getting used to diffuse those times when people do notice you or ask why you are taking pictures is something that it takes practice doing as well...

I thinkin' about trading in my 18-105mm Nikon lens for a 70-300mm Sigma. I like the range of the 18mm but it doesn't produce the sharpness that I got with that Sigma. Amazon will practically offer me pennies but it would be the easiest route

Back
Top Bottom