The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I was under the impression that VC/VR/IS (or whatever the applicable abbreviation is) should be turned OFF when shooting from a tripod.

"Having said this there is one time when you should definitely switch IS off because it will do more harm than good to your photos – when you’re using a Tripod.

Image Stabilization (and vibration reduction) lenses look for vibrations in your camera in order to reduce it – however if they don’t find any (like when you are using a Tripod) they actually can cause it – and as a result actually cause camera shake.
"

https://digital-photography-school.com/image-stabilization-on-tripods/#ixzz2a9L0YjYI

For all my previous long exposures I'm pretty sure IS was on with my 24-105 but I'll give it another shot with it off. My 35mm doesn't have a IS/VR button so what does one do in that case?

For all my previous long exposures I'm pretty sure IS was on with my 24-105 but I'll give it another shot with it off. My 35mm doesn't have a IS/VR button so what does one do in that case?

Not sure, I very rarely use a tripod. But apparently some lenses can sense when they're on a tripod and automatically adjust for that. Perhaps that was the case with your 24-105.

Not sure, I very rarely use a tripod. But apparently some lenses can sense when they're on a tripod and automatically adjust for that. Perhaps that was the case with your 24-105.

I guess I'll just see what happens next time I do another long exposure. Thanks for the help!

Yeah. Always have VC off. If you have it on, the VC will not compensate to any camera shake which will leave your images shaky. Always turn it off when your camera is stationary. The essentially everything in your camera will be still.

Well I ventured out into the water a couple days ago here in Jacksonville Beach as the swell for IRMA and the Nor'easter started to kick in. Wanted to get some shots of our Pier before it's completely gone! Hurricane Matthew took out 300ft of it last year and it's been closed ever since.

LwO1CnCl.jpg

jFeqgKTl.jpg

could be a bunch of things, maybe shutter shock? the tripod may not have been stable or even the ground?

finally got my desktop back from repair, lost a bunch of data and my lightroom catalog backups, but fortunately all the edits & metadata was saved with the image files that i had on an external drive! i need to figure out a good solution for backing things up tho...

some randoms:
Untitled by a0, on Flickr

Last edited:
The ground wasn't even but this problem happened last time also on a solid flat surface. I'll try having the VC off next time and see if that helps.

The ground wasn't even but this problem happened last time also on a solid flat surface. I'll try having the VC off next time and see if that helps.

could be the spot you set up or the way the camera is sitting on the tripod mount, depending on the surface, (and the sturdiness of your own tripod) it can even pickup your own movement even though you may not be actually touching the tripod...also maybe try examining your other long exposures to see if there is anything consistent about the shakiness, looking at the way the light trails in that image it seems more like one major shake than a bunch of jitters, maybe try doing different shorter long (.5 sec, 1 sec, etc.) exposures and see if anything changes?

could be the spot you set up or the way the camera is sitting on the tripod mount, depending on the surface, (and the sturdiness of your own tripod) it can even pickup your own movement even though you may not be actually touching the tripod...also maybe try examining your other long exposures to see if there is anything consistent about the shakiness, looking at the way the light trails in that image it seems more like one major shake than a bunch of jitters, maybe try doing different shorter long (.5 sec, 1 sec, etc.) exposures and see if anything changes?

Could've been that I might have stepped away after the two seconds or something I'm not sure but I tried to stay as still as possible. I did try a two second and below exposure and got the same result. Below that is 1 seconds (img 2890) and that isn't so bad but could still be better.

Attachments

• IMG_2982 (2).jpg
    IMG_2982 (2).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2980 (2).jpg
    IMG_2980 (2).jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 5
maybe try the same test like on a table or something with both an is & non-is lens?

#relatedbutunrelated: came across this cool article about lighting melanated folk in cinematic way pretty dope

Finally got my model shoot done, went great. Talked about some future work an plans. Really appreciate the help and motivation here. Prob would be sitting around doing nothing if y'all didn't give tips and push me to get at these models.

MimiDeepEllum_RoseGold.jpg
MimiDeepEllum_RoseGold-56.jpg
MimiDeepEllum_RoseGold-29.jpg

Plotting my next lens purchase. I think I'm going to end up getting the Nikon 18-55mm VR DX II. It's supposed to be very very sharp. Not reading it has creamy bokeh but I think the sharpness is a but more important.

What do you guys view as more important? Bokeh vs Sharpness?

for images in general or in terms of lenses? i guess it depends on the image, i don't know how much i really consider the out of focus area performance of lenses though some people are on it like that...i think sharpness & bokeh kinda go hand in hand and both are maybe overrated these times given that post processing enables ways to alter both after the fact if one is aware of either limitation & has the end result in mind when out shooting...

some 3 wheel motion:

Took this on sunday at the sutro baths. Had an incredible sunset.

One of my favorite photos ever.

Visited SmugMug this past Tuesday. I ended up opening up a partnership with them and am now officially an affiliate for them. :pimp:

Also, Im on the last leg of saving to be able to go full time as wedding photographer. Very exciting times.

Attachments

• Khristine_and_Jake-6101.jpg
    Khristine_and_Jake-6101.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 13
Plotting my next lens purchase. I think I'm going to end up getting the Nikon 18-55mm VR DX II. It's supposed to be very very sharp. Not reading it has creamy bokeh but I think the sharpness is a but more important.

Honestly I dont really see the point in investing in a kit lens. You may as well just save a little more and get a prime that you know will blow the top off the kit lens.

for images in general or in terms of lenses? i guess it depends on the image, i don't know how much i really consider the out of focus area performance of lenses though some people are on it like that...i think sharpness & bokeh kinda go hand in hand and both are maybe overrated these times given that post processing enables ways to alter both after the fact if one is aware of either limitation & has the end result in mind when out shooting...

Honestly I dont really see the point in investing in a kit lens. You may as well just save a little more and get a prime that you know will blow the top off the kit lens.

I think I just feel like the 18-105mm isn't that sharp trying to find something that is a bit better.
Found both the Nikon 18-55 and 55-200 on FB for $75 for both. The seller is an hour away so I don't know if I'll be able to get em.

As a far as a getting a good lens my latest dream lens is the Nikon 200mm. But of course that's a few racks outside of budget. So a smaller step is the 135mm or the 85mm.

Back
Top Bottom