The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Is Sony the way to go with mirrorless cameras? I'm looking to get into photography, and was looking at DSLR vs. mirrorless. I'm looking at the A6300. Thoughts?

I saw rent them for a weekend before you buy. I switched to Sony 2 years ago and don't regret it. I will keep my A7R2 as a backup and will definitely get the A7R3

Is Sony the way to go with mirrorless cameras? I'm looking to get into photography, and was looking at DSLR vs. mirrorless. I'm looking at the A6300. Thoughts?

Before you rent, figure out your budget for photography wants and needs. It's a costly hobby especially when you factor in what lenses you'd want to get. I started off wanting to shoot around for fun, then worked for a studio part time shooting weddings and gigs and now shoot for 'fun'.

Sony also announced the new 24-105 for only $1,300 which isn't so bad. I hope this is an indication for them going for an affordable group of people that can't drop 2 grand for a lens.

Sony also announced the new 24-105 for only $1,300 which isn't so bad. I hope this is an indication for them going for an affordable group of people that can't drop 2 grand for a lens.

When you consider the 24-70 F4 is $1198 thats a great TBH. I'm just hoping that it isnt as soft at 105 as the 24-70 is at 70.

Why is the Sony that much better than the Canon?

Making a switch is different for everyone. I was shooting on a 70D for the last 3 years, and decided I wanted to make the jump to FF. I finally did by purchasing a 6D Mark II, but I was underwhelmed to be honest so I returned it. I started playing around with the A7 in Best Buy one day, so I took a leap of faith. Sure its an older camera but I figured it was a low-risk gamble to get acquainted with the Sony system. The smaller size, being able to use vintage glass, were just some factors. The Sony system definitely has its faults in terms of lens selection, pricing on lenses, etc.......but its pushing the envelope and even if its hit or miss I respect it.

I am just glad that people in general have choices rather then Canon/Nikon....its the only way we as the consumer win.

I remember way back when it was Nikon or Canon if you wanted to be taken seriously when aspiring to be a paid photographer. Now if you're using the Sony A system you're considered among the other guys.

I got the Leica M9 a year after it was released and used it as a third camera at a few paid gigs. It brought way too much attention and was more of a distraction at the sites. After I stopped shooting weddings I sold all my Canon stuff and went with the Sony A7ii and still dig it to this day. No real reason, it handles very well. Lenses are limited but I got the latest metabones adapter and can use whatever Canon glass is available now

Not me.

Most batteries I've used is two in one day. The new ones are even better so I'm glad they fixed that issue.

00Q_4212.jpg
00Q_4102.jpg
00Q_3894.jpg
00Q_3942.jpg

Another model shoot under the belt. Still struggle with posing models who don't know how to model/pose and still forgetting to adjust my settings as the lighting changes. Also need work on creative composition.
Potentially have my first pet/animal shoot in the coming weekends and have one family shoot scheduled sunday after next.

All things considered I'm better than I was which is all that matters. Improving more and more. My goal is to be able to charge for model shoots as late as summer next year. Also want to start renting furniture and props (those big throne like chairs and fancy/luxury cars) and use them for shoots some time next year.

Working in London for a couple of weeks. It was a beautiful early evening but by the time I got where I wanted to go (the houses of Parliament) I was probably about 30 minutes late - the sky was a bit dark so the building lights are blown out.

Got this on the way back though.

Any recommendations on a camera backpack?

Looking for something to fit a 6D, couple lenses, and a 13.3 laptop.

I bought the A6000 with kit lens. The kit lens broke after i dropped it so I don't have much experience with it.
I bought the Sony 35mm F1.8 lens for it and that's when I started to see great results.

I got it last year but I'm still a beginner since I haven't had much time to play with it but I'll recommend the A6300.

My next lens purchase will probably be the Sigma 16mm 1.4 depending on the price.
The 35mm Sony is good for portraits but for group shots or landscapes I need a wide angle lens and this just got announced.
I should be good for a while before thinking about moving to full frame.

lenscloseup-800x616.jpg

I bought the A6000 with kit lens. The kit lens broke after i dropped it so I don't have much experience with it.
I bought the Sony 35mm F1.8 lens for it and that's when I started to see great results.

I got it last year but I'm still a beginner since I haven't had much time to play with it but I'll recommend the A6300.

My next lens purchase will probably be the Sigma 16mm 1.4 depending on the price.
The 35mm Sony is good for portraits but for group shots or landscapes I need a wide angle lens and this just got announced.
I should be good for a while before thinking about moving to full frame.

lenscloseup-800x616.jpg

you might want to look at the 10-18 f4 for landscapes, it's a pretty decent zoom and the distortion isn't too bad especially on the a6XXX cameras (though technically a apsc lens it also works on a7 cameras from about 12-16mm)

dang i i switch to sony i am getting one of these adapters for some of my film lenses! crazy

Back
Top Bottom