The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^^^^Not a whole lot to it really. I just hit all the tourist spots from the Grand Canyon, HorseShoe Bend, Monument Valley, and Sedona. It's a lot of driving for the most part so make sure you rent a good car with an USB port for your phone for GPS. Signal can be spotty at time so map all your stuff ahead of time. You can hit up all the spots fast but since I went for photo reason, I tried to wait for good skies. It's a fun place and sights look great but just hate all the driving.
That's nice ... my boy just moved to AZ and been asking me to go out there. I been wanting to do the trip, but life. Those are dope.... how much driving? Like 10 hours or so?

That's nice ... my boy just moved to AZ and been asking me to go out there. I been wanting to do the trip, but life. Those are dope.... how much driving? Like 10 hours or so?

Haha....not even 10 hours. Like 2-3 hours or so from spot to spot. Horseshoe Bend and Antelope Canyon is super close to each other though but the airport and the rest is about 2-4 hours depending on where you are going. I just sort of get restless in a car. Like I like to shoot at sunset and when I get back to the car, it will be a 3 hour drive at night which gets me all tired. I am a wus.

Question for those who sell prints... What your thought process when pricing your prints by size plus what you paid for the print to be made?

IMG_20190106_095005_455.jpg

I'm thinking of doing a personal family project of taking B&W portrait photos of the family and printing them out to about 8x10.

My best camera is a Fuji x100T and I still have a Nikon D80 w/50mm lens.

Is this doable or should I look into renting or working with someone to help take these photos? Figured it would be cool twist to family photos.

Question for those who sell prints... What your thought process when pricing your prints by size plus what you paid for the print to be made?
Definitely have a mark up but also know if there is a demand for your photo or a feel if your photo is going to sell or not. I tried figuring this out a while back on a 16X24 print. My print shop I like going to sells their first print at $30 and then $23 for each print after. So that would be $467 for 20 prints. If I sold them for $50 a pop, I would make $533 profit which doesn't include shipping. Granted $50 seems affordable to me but not sure what others would say. By the end of it, you would pocket a couple of hundred dollars or so which isn't great money but something.

Definitely have a mark up but also know if there is a demand for your photo or a feel if your photo is going to sell or not. I tried figuring this out a while back on a 16X24 print. My print shop I like going to sells their first print at $30 and then $23 for each print after. So that would be $467 for 20 prints. If I sold them for $50 a pop, I would make $533 profit which doesn't include shipping. Granted $50 seems affordable to me but not sure what others would say. By the end of it, you would pocket a couple of hundred dollars or so which isn't great money but something.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm thinking of doing a personal family project of taking B&W portrait photos of the family and printing them out to about 8x10.

Is this doable or should I look into renting or working with someone to help take these photos? Figured it would be cool twist to family photos.
It's doable

It's definitely doable. I plan on doing the same with my D7000.

I agree that if you are against the wall that should be your position. But Dems are going to shift and become ok with a fence. Like you and Rusty said, it is stupid if you are against a wall.

People get flown out all the time for videos and pics and ****.

My homie just got flown out to Italy for a project. Aint ****.

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but maybe someone had any updates. But what is everyone recommending for lugging around your gear? Preferably a backpack. Just looking to carry around my A7RIII and maybe 1 or 2 additional lenses at most, some batteries and a charger - nothing too crazy.

I need something that has an insert for a 15" MBP and I could use for everyday use as well, even without the camera gear.

I've been eyeing this:

Amazon product ASIN B00JXECZSE

^^^^^^^My favorite bag is the Incase DLSR pro. Could be big depending on your size but I am 5'8 and it fits perfect. A lot of room in it, fits laptop as well and side straps for a tripod. Only gripe I have is when I have tons of gear and my back starts to hurt. Could use a waste strap but other than that, this bag has been perfect.

https://www.incase.com/devices/camera/dslr/camera-pro-pack

incase_camera_pro_pack-_black-_1_1.jpg

People swear by this bag too but I think also people are seeing its limitations on how it is constructed and mostly used as a side sling bag. But depends on what kind of photographer you are. If you aren't looking for much, this Every Day bag could be the perfect fit.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...yZR_xGKQGN7CXsaAqC7EALw_wcB&lsft=BI:514&smp=Y

peak_design_bb_20_bk_1_everyday_backpack_20l_black_1508385016000_1363561.jpg

how do you like using the rx1ii? isn't somewhat redundant having the a7r3? definitely an awesome camera tho!

some snapshots from riding west

Untitled by a0, on Flickr

Tokes first off dope shots, secondly yes it is kind of redundant, but the RX1RII is so much smaller. I think it’s better for run and gun type street photography. But the reason why I have it is because it came with my survey grade geospatial drone. Apparently the OEMs that make these drones which are capable of surveying and mapping 400 acres in one flight really like the High MP Full Frame cameras as sensors and it just so happens that the RX is the smallest of the FF High MP cameras which allows for the drone to have more flight time.

E64F8F78-3082-4903-B100-589C73329B6B.jpeg
071AD961-15FA-4441-9C11-57B825C3EC1E.jpeg
95C96D48-59E8-47F9-897A-24FDF082E503.jpeg
People get flown out all the time for videos and pics and ****.

My homie just got flown out to Italy for a project. Aint ****.

With all due respect it’s one thing to mention the people that get flown out to do projects, but another thing to be one of the people who is actually flown out to do it. This is not my core business (my core is Geospatial services and consulting utilizing high end commercial drones), my production company and commercial real estate marketing are secondary and tertiary operations so this is merely icing on the cake and fun, except I get paid for it. Why not monetize a hobby? Corporate jobs pay more but are kinda boring so this stuff balances out the drab.

Anyway here are pics of how the RX1RII is integrated in my Survey drone.

With how advance DJI and even GoPro drones are becoming, what exactly puts your drones above those well established brands, seems like the wrong market to jump into...plus everyone wanna go smaller and that joint right there looking like an attack drone...props to you for chasing your dream, but just curious as to why you chose such a competitive venue....DJI is a damn beast.

Ahh ok, so more flight time....just read that...is that all? How much more flight time we talking?

I had to look it up. Looks kind of craze.

I am still waiting on the compact drone that shoots 20mp+ photos. Pretty much a Mavic with a high res sensor that isn't compatible to a cell phone photo.

I had to look it up. Looks kind of craze.

I am still waiting on the compact drone that shoots 20mp+ photos. Pretty much a Mavic with a high res sensor that isn't compatible to a cell phone photo.

the mavic 2 pro? it's not dslr level but better than a smartphone...

Back
Top Bottom