The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

some recent stuff...
4882796627_3f99f91741_z.jpg

4882796559_1f22b4fcdf_z.jpg

pray for the homie and fellow NT'er Stereo Faith!
4882796481_b89c312a84_z.jpg

4883401172_af8cf22072.jpg

everybody's favorite local
4878222184_1d790e8242_z.jpg

4878223236_99e2759af6.jpg

this one is my favorite from this nights performance...Fab's expression is priceless..."ok, can you GO now?"
4877611507_36a90dcfd7.jpg
roll.gif

nikon-D31001.jpg

Nikon D3100:

* 14 MP CMOS Sensor
* Live View
* 3 inch Display
* 100 – 12800 ISO
* 11 AF points
* full HD Video (1920 x 1080)
* price 650 €
* new EXPEED2 processor

And new lenses:

four-new-nikon-lenses1.jpg

And the 4 new lenses:

* AF-S DX 55-300/4,5-5,6 G ED VR (ca. 420 €)
* AF-S 85/1,4 G with Nano (ca. 1650 €)
* AF-S 24-120/4 G ED VR (ca. 1220 €)
* AF-S 28-300/3,5-5,6 G ED VR (ca. 1000 €)

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

nikon-D31001.jpg

Nikon D3100:

* 14 MP CMOS Sensor
* Live View
* 3 inch Display
* 100 – 12800 ISO
* 11 AF points
* price 650 €
* new EXPEED2 processor

Hmmm...I would assume this is a T2i competitor? 

Originally Posted by YUNG FLiP iMAGE

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

nikon-D31001.jpg

Nikon D3100:

* 14 MP CMOS Sensor

* Live View

* 3 inch Display

* 100 – 12800 ISO

* 11 AF points

* price 650 €

* new EXPEED2 processor

Hmmm...I would assume this is a T2i competitor? 

That just depends on that damn frames per second. They are projecting it is about 24-30 fps. The more important thing is the 720p better be at 60 fps cause if not, Nikon is still losing the battle on HD video.

And yeah...the name is ******ed. It would make more sense to name it a D5100 since the D3000 didn't have HD video to it. At least the T1i was upgraded to the T2i. How is the D3100 going to be a better camera then the D5000?

If Nikon's replacement to the D90 is overshadowed by the 60D, I will undoubtedly jump ship back to Canon. Nikon can't seem to get anything right.
Other than features like that swivel screen and HD video...what can't Nikon seem to get anything right for you? Most of the pro's have switched from Canon to Nikon...

Nikon has a clear advantage on high-iso, af system, flash, etc....

what exactly are you tryign to get out of your camera?

Originally Posted by Jua17oI3

If Nikon's replacement to the D90 is overshadowed by the 60D, I will undoubtedly jump ship back to Canon. Nikon can't seem to get anything right.
Obviously you're attracted to useless features like that swivel screen and HD video...

Nikon has a clear advantage on high-iso, af system, flash, etc.... what exactly are you tryign to get out of your camera?

You really think HD video is a useless feature? I never said anything about me liking the swivel screen (if anything with the Canon 60D leaked shots, I am trying to justify it) but I am pro HD video. Like i have stated before.....people thought the HD video would be a fad but it is here to stay. Nikon was even the first to bring out this technology and they have yet to upgrade the frame rate.

And where are you getting that Nikon has a clear advantage when the cameras I mentioned aren't even out yet. And last time I checked, Canon kills in the ISO department and even the 7D has wireless flash control. If I am dropping over a $1000 on a product, I want to make sure I get the best equipment out.

And in regard to that edited statement......is it a fact that pros have switched from Canon to Nikon? I am actually asking cause I don't know and assumed it was the other way around.

There is seriously a huge market just on using DSLRs for video cameras. People that used to have $8,000 Sony video cameras (the first HD hand helds) are ditching those and using just DSLRs cause not just the quality but the lenses and the ISO that it packs. I was just forwarded this through a mass e-mail the other day:

http://dslruniversity.com/

still1-670x402.jpg

striker2.jpg

MVI_4698-670x425.jpg

MVI_4551-670x376.jpg

2 nights in Mallory Square from Philip Bloom on Vimeo.

And my friend does weddings using a 7D and the Mark 2:

A Wedding Snippet from Phillip V on Vimeo.

Lily and Andy from Phillip V on Vimeo.

And where are you getting that Nikon has a clear advantage when the cameras I mentioned aren't even out yet. And last time I checked, Canon kills in the ISO department and even the 7D has wireless flash control. If I am dropping over a $1000 on a product, I want to make sure I get the best equipment out.

And in regard to that edited statement......is it a fact that pros have switched from Canon to Nikon? I am actually asking cause I don't know and assumed it was the other way around.

Fongstarr,

I'm not speaking about the 60D or that D3100. I'm talking about the current cameras out; 1d mark 4 vs. d3s, d700 vs. 5dm2, 50d vs. d300s, etc...You can check for reviews online that compare these cameras side by side. No doubt Canon is winning the HD video, more prime/cheaper lenses, etc.. but Nikon has a better high-iso, speed, better body build, better zoom lenses, and AF accuracy which led many professionals to switch from Canon to Nikon. You can check robgalbraith, digilloyd, fredmiranda, photozone, dpreview, etc. for current stuff regarding these.

Also, you forgot to mention your budget which is around the $1000 range which eliminates the D3s, D700, D300s... with that I realize to why you are you considering the switch...I suggest you do wait for Photokina Sept and stick to what you currently have at the moment and base your decision then.

-

HD video is so sick! Makes me wanna upgrade from my XSi to T2i
pimp.gif
. I need some more glass and a flash though
ohwell.gif

4877611507_36a90dcfd7.jpg

that look
roll.gif

Thanks for posting that FONGSTAR ... I was wondering how Phillip Bloom got those great shots for that piece he did.

Maurice - if you have the $$$ to do it, go for it man. The video I posted was the first video I ever edited and I think it came out pretty good. I did not have to color correct anything. If you want lenses or anyone else on the board let me know. I have a few websites that rent. I rent most of the accessories until I can save up and buy my own. Plus I like to test drive things b4 I buy when I can.

Jua17oI3....I hear you and probably should have been more clear. If Nikon makes a Mark 2 equivalent, I am all over that but it seems like the D700 is not going to get replaced till next year. I am currently in the market for replacing my D90 and I am not sure if I am going to go full frame or stay within the ranks of the 7D. Hopefully the D90 replacement is sort of in the range of the 7D cause I do have a couple of Nikon lenses that I don't want to necessarily get rid of if I don't have to. I know the power of the D3s but would never have the funds or the nerve to spend that kind of money on a camera.

Originally Posted by kix2mny

Thanks for posting that FONGSTAR ... I was wondering how Phillip Bloom got those great shots for that piece he did.

Maurice - if you have the $$$ to do it, go for it man. The video I posted was the first video I ever edited and I think it came out pretty good. I did not have to color correct anything. If you want lenses or anyone else on the board let me know. I have a few websites that rent. I rent most of the accessories until I can save up and buy my own. Plus I like to test drive things b4 I buy when I can.
There is this one website called lensrentals.com that I am thinking about renting lenses from. I'm gunning for either the 100L macro or the 135L. Mainly because I think I'm a prime guy and I like using the reverse lens macro technique. I figure why not try out a dedicated macro lens to see how much better(not to mention easier) they are to use

Maurice mcl - if u are from NYC u should check
Adorama and csi rental. Borrowlenses.com is another good one

A lot of people at my day job couldn't belive how well my short film came out

Back
Top Bottom