The Old PlayStation Thread | *NEW THREAD IS UP*

I realize this is the PS Thread but anyone else playing Gears 5? They made a ton of mechanical changes and I wanted to get others thoughts. Not enjoying a lot of them but the story is cool so far...

FFVII>
Nothing else matters
I just played FF VII in June. It's a dope game but it's also overrated in terms of other mainline FF games. There's something about the setting that bored me a little bit. Maybe it's just Cloud's emo *** :lol:

I just played FF VII in June. It's a dope game but it's also overrated in terms of other mainline FF games. There's something about the setting that bored me a little bit. Maybe it's just Cloud's emo *** :lol:
Pull up for that Cloud slander.

FF 13 a close second imo

This Godzilla game came out back in 2015 to poor reviews and I decided to pick it up since I'm a big Godzilla fan and this game goes for $100+ :smh:

fight me.
na its probably the fact that you're playing it in 2019 instead of any year closer to when it first came out. so many games have copied/been influenced by it that it won't seem as eye opening to some (I guess).

VII did everything VI did but better IMHO. the soundtrack alone is better than any ff that came out after it. IMO anyway.

XIII was trash. TRASH. somewhere on srk I have a lengthy post where I go in after beating it...

fight me.
na its probably the fact that you're playing it in 2019 instead of any year closer to when it first came out. so many games have copied/been influenced by it that it won't seem as eye opening to some (I guess).

VII did everything VI did but better IMHO. the soundtrack alone is better than any ff that came out after it. IMO anyway.

XIII was trash. TRASH. somewhere on srk I have a lengthy post where I go in after beating it...
Say it louder for the people in the back

fight me.

I’ve played FF VII several times over now. June was just my most recent playthrough. I always ranked VI, IX, and X over VII. Oddly enough, I feel the complete opposite as you; FF VI did everything better, FF VII took a step back. FF VI OST is definitely better overall. VII had memorable tracks but VI as a whole is a masterpiece.

I’m not that down on XIII but it’s definitely on the lower end of the scale :lol:

Told my wife don't bother me all day Friday and Saturday I'll give her Sunday(ugh lol) I'm so hyped. Who you rocking with first? I think imma go flak.
got the weekend off now i have to find a way to back out of a friends bday.

I’ve played FF VII several times over now. June was just my most recent playthrough. I always ranked VI, IX, and X over VII. Oddly enough, I feel the complete opposite as you; FF VI did everything better, FF VII took a step back. FF VI OST is definitely better overall. VII had memorable tracks but VI as a whole is a masterpiece.

I’m not that down on XIII but it’s definitely on the lower end of the scale :lol:
I could see someone saying ffVI soundtrack is better than ffVII (I didn't say that it wasn't fwiw because its pretty close IMO...they're both up there in terms of the best soundtracks for any rpg along with others like chrono trigger, Mario rpg, etc.).

as far as hallway fantasy XIII with its weirdo jazz music, vanille with her weird accentS, sazh with a chicke-i mean chocobo in his fro...
the lack of variety in enemies, story was mostly told in the menu and not played out on screen as you progress...what else...the game didn't open up until like chapter 11 or 12... no real stores, no real towns, the way you got final weapons (EH) by upgrading, lack of traditional ff enemies (like coeurl, zuu, movers, etc.) , no air ship, the map was trash, those missions...EH...
I might have to actually search for that post on srk. I think I wrote a whole page of things wrong with XIII.

long list I posted 9 years ago about ffXIII

things ffXIII and future ff games need to have, IMHO:

1. air ship
  2. world map
  3. air ship.
  4. air ship.
  5. no rotating maps
  6. USEFUL items IN AND OUT OF BATTLE
  7. USEFUL accessories
  8. more weapons, items and accessories that CAN BE FOUND
  9. STEALING FROM ENEMIES
  10. GAINING GIL FROM KILLING ENEMIES
  11. INNS. don’t care about not healing after battle there is something in my head that says that an rpg needs an inn
  12. more towns
  13. air ship
  14. more summons that do more than increase the percentage hits do once the enemy is staggered
  15. more techniques. MORE techniques.
  16. status effects need to do more
  17. REGEN, BIG GUARD, WHITE WIND
  18. GOOD MUSIC. this needs to be number 1-5 on the list IMO
  19. lemme elaborate on the music part…CLASSICAL music.
  20. NO POP OR JAZZ MUSIC.
  21. i never thought i’d say it but a few mini games would be nice
  22. an air ship
  23. less expensive everything
  24. stores in towns and stores at savepoints
  25. enemy skill magic
  26. enemies that are known to appear in every ff game. all of them. not half, not 1/3, ALL of them. there is more than enough space.
  27. less palette swaps.
  28. enemies and places that WE CAN PRONOUNCE. japanese names? cool. english? nice. this fake *** nordic?? na.
  29. last but definitely not least, they need to be way more clear as far as any type of upgrading to accessories and weapons. i feel like the game doesn’t do a good job at explaining either.

i cannot stress how lame it is to me that everything needs to be upgraded and how lame it is that all of the components needed to upgrade are either extremely rare, incredibly expensive or both.

lol @ finding dark matter in this game.
    lol @ farming traps.
    lol @ the ultimate weapons having 100 levels to them.
    lol @ the price of dark matter and traps.

instead of making this stuff extra tedious and making it draw out the game why don’t they just include a new game plus and maybe a longer game? that way they wouldn’t have to hide the fact that the game isn’t really that long by making it take a ridiculous amount of time to do **** that shouldn’t be that hard to do.
also kill the whole if the leader dies we all die thing. i’m tired of fang looking at my dead body while the enemy laughs at us.

and i know i said it before but jesus, can the names of these places be just a little more easy to remember? when i use teleport stones, i don’t even know where i’m going even though i’ve been to those areas, lol.

its kinda funny because looking at the thread I knew a lot about the game at the time and was helping out a couple of ppl...I didn't even necessarily hate the game and enjoyed the first few chapters and then chapter 12 but the flaws were pretty bad.
kinda funny reading over old posts from almost 10 years ago lol.

I haven't played the game since then so reading over what I was saying in other posts back then...I don't understand a lot of it or even how I knew so much but I guess it had me hooked at the time. I would def put ffX over this tho. easily. I haven't given VIII and XII fair playthroughs so that's why I didn't rank those.

Last edited:
For you FFVII fans, I highly suggest playing the modded PC version called "A New Threat". I've played VII probably 20+ times to completion across my lifetime, but this version is something else. A few changes (copy and pasted off the web):

-New monsters and boss fights
-Materia has different stat bonuses
-Summon materia only usable 1 per fight
-Rebalanced weapon, armor and accessories. They have stat bonuses too.
-Modified dialogue during certain sections
-Get to keep Aeris
-Many items re-worked and added
-New feature of gaining SP after battles. They are used to level up your characters an alternative way, which allows you to choose how to distribute your stats each time for customization.
-Each character has innate abilities now. They are basically a character-specific passive. For example Barret gains attack power when hit in the front row, and defense when hit in the back row.
-Magic is much stronger, but physical attacks are weaker
-Summons hit like a truck too

The game legit feels completely different, and is a much more challenging- you really have to plan for tough battles and can't spam physical attacks and get away with it. I don't mess around with PC gaming at all (cause my PC is buns) but this was pretty simple to setup and the steam version is only $10 (and the game isn't demanding on really any setup). You can also add in texture and sound upgrades to spruce up the offering. I highly recommend it. About to enter the temple of the ancients on my current playthrough.

For you FFVII fans, I highly suggest playing the modded PC version called "A New Threat". I've played VII probably 20+ times to completion across my lifetime, but this version is something else. A few changes (copy and pasted off the web):

-New monsters and boss fights
-Materia has different stat bonuses
-Summon materia only usable 1 per fight
-Rebalanced weapon, armor and accessories. They have stat bonuses too.
-Modified dialogue during certain sections
-Get to keep Aeris
-Many items re-worked and added
-New feature of gaining SP after battles. They are used to level up your characters an alternative way, which allows you to choose how to distribute your stats each time for customization.
-Each character has innate abilities now. They are basically a character-specific passive. For example Barret gains attack power when hit in the front row, and defense when hit in the back row.
-Magic is much stronger, but physical attacks are weaker
-Summons hit like a truck too

The game legit feels completely different, and is a much more challenging- you really have to plan for tough battles and can't spam physical attacks and get away with it. I don't mess around with PC gaming at all (cause my PC is buns) but this was pretty simple to setup and the steam version is only $10 (and the game isn't demanding on really any setup). You can also add in texture and sound upgrades to spruce up the offering. I highly recommend it. About to enter the temple of the ancients on my current playthrough.
I've been watching Maximilian play it on Twitch and it does look good. I will definitely have to try it when I eventually get it on PC.

i'm about to check that out. my ffvii setup is stupid...its to the point where I literally don't have to do anything on the controller to win any fight including the last boss fight.
it was cool to figure out that setup but eeeehhhh.

would love a challenge in the same game.

Back
Top Bottom