**The Official Ralph Lauren Polo Thread**

and for all you purists out there ralphie put his spin on this stuff 25 years ago and he just putting his sophistacted twist on the new stuff nothing is pure enjoy it for what it is imagine if ralphie didn't make it to the 50th show we'd be in a polo wasteland embrace how special this was to get everything retroed at once as they say the stars just aligned that way and we got blessed

for us in high school New Jersey circa 92 it was the music videos and seeing older kids going out in the city dressed head to toe in lo that made us want it not stories of people boosting although it did influence gym class thefts and after school trades

Ya delusional. lo lifes came before raekwon. They probably influenced him. If wu and rap videos influenced you to wear lo you came into the game late. I use to go to macys and everyone had a backpack boosTing in the lo section. So stories aint influence me. I actually seen this. Some of ya was still on the porch at that time. I aint saying that they made polo what it is. But they had a big influenece. Even ralph is giving them credit.

Last edited:
the only person that made polo hot was Ralph Lauren himself. The brand had already been established and on top years before the lo lifes and wutang lol. Why do you think these guys considered polo in the first place? If lo lifes ate mcdonalds does that mean they made mcds hot too? Like these are brands that have been established years before any hip hop culture LOL.

Ya delusional. lo lifes came before raekwon. They probably influenced him. I aint saying that they made polo what it is. But they had a big influenece. Even ralph is giving them credit.

No doubt just trying to say Raekwon owed money and a card too would have been nice to see him on the doc He had way more influence on the brands bottom line I would think

And I’m not trying to dump on the lo-lifes. They did their thing. seemed like a lot of fun, I listen to a lot of the stories that they told. Its very interesting but I mean you stole clothes and bragged about it
..what credit do you command or what do you expect to receive for doing that?

I was 12 in 92 in New Jersey did the best I could for a kid I remember a crew hitting the mall ish was real people were scared didn’t know what happened but we did and we had the lo on already one of the coolest things to happen at our mall saw biggie there too that year the whole mall started running towards him he was mad cool about it it was crazy

They not bragging about boostin. They just telling there story. Polo is expensive so they boosted it to get fresh. They put a street spin on what the white older men were wearing by wearing it baggy and with a street swag. It is what it is. They influenced polo in the streets. Polo wasnt hot in the streets till the late 80s. White older dudes been rocking lo but not the streets. Ya cant change that fact. I dont know if some of ya mightve got robbed back in the day or were never in the streets so ya holding a grudge. Ralphy put thirstin in the doc. Thats the proof right there. Your opinion cant trump documented history.

giphy (9).gif

although its not as strong as the McDonalds defense but this kinda like saying snoop made blunts cool even tho it was pac that passed the first l to the dog father but my guess is blunts was already a thing feel like the horse power doc was better than very ralph its cool he recognized LL culture but he should have included Raekwon it was an obvious omission and the power of the music video had more of an impact on the brand than the impact the brand had on a couple crews in Brooklyn thats my story and im sticking To it but good for thirsting he made it yo wonder how much he can auction off that card for

They not bragging about boostin. They just telling there story. Polo is expensive so they boosted it to get fresh. They put a street spin on what the white older men were wearing by wearing it baggy and with a street swag. It is what it is. They influenced polo in the streets. Polo wasnt hot in the streets till the late 80s. White older dudes been rocking lo but not the streets. Ya cant change that fact. I dont know if some of ya mightve got robbed back in the day or were never in the streets so ya holding a grudge. Ralphy put thirstin in the doc. Thats the proof right there. Your opinion cant trump documented history.
Making polo popular in general and in the streets is different

Ok im glad that you agree they had some influence in making polo popular.
Michael Jordan made nike hot everywhere. Lo heads didnt make the same kind of impact..thats why i dont understand the recognition they demand.

Last edited:
Polo has always been cool. Slick Rick was the first I heard rapping about Polo.
I saw guys in Brooklyn in 1989 in East flatbush wearing ski gooses.
I heard a friend call the ski jacket the suicide when we were in kings plaza to see Bat Man 1.

He told me if you wore that jacket they would literally try to kill you for it.
None of these kids were Lo Lives.

The leader of BMW (Brooklyn's Most Wanted) crew in Brooklyn had on a suicide ski jacket after the Bat Man movie let out.
A whole mob of them were chilling in front of the escalator where the movie theater was.
That was the first time I saw that jacket.

Lo Lives kept wearing Polo after everybody moved on to DKNY Hilfiger and Ice Berg.
They kept it going. Most were not wearing Polo heavy after 95 to 2003.
Kanye made it cool again from 2003 to 2005 then he switched to Louis Vuitton Don mode.

2005 to 20013, Polo was dead again.
Then everybody went crazy when that preppy sweater around the waist
bear came back in 2013.

Then it died down til 2016. Thats when the martini bear dropped.
Then the retro phase started in 2017 with Stadium.

Lo Lives kept it going when everybody stopped wearing Polo in those dead periods.
Im talking about in the hood. Not in the world. lol

Last edited:
And I’m not trying to dump on the lo-lifes. They did their thing. seemed like a lot of fun, I listen to a lot of the stories that they told. Its very interesting but I mean you stole clothes and bragged about it
..what credit do you command or what do you expect to receive for doing that?
You have to find the beauty in the fact that Ralph never made anything for them so they took it,not to sell but to put on their own fashion show where some could careless some admired and some were so inspired they did whatever they had to do get down;Maybe you weren't one of the ones who didn't have to steal to get it,maybe you had to wait to get a job to be able to get it or maybe none of that at all but something whatever it made you want to purchase it and wear it which is just as acceptable as everything else.

You like lo,you wear lo,they accept you as you are,without Ralph's approval....what else could you ask for in an imperfect world,that's the beauty of it all.Do you.

Back
Top Bottom