The Official Rookie of the Year Thread vol. Evans/Curry/Jennings

So many analysts are siding with Jennings... but honestly I wouldn't be upset with whoever won it... I'd like to see a Co-rookie of the year but who knows

Originally Posted by philly5fan

So many analysts are siding with Jennings... but honestly I wouldn't be upset with whoever won it... I'd like to see a Co-rookie of the year but who knows
Jennings is shooting 37%
sick.gif
. I swear, analysts are stupid. This isn't the MVP where they take into account the team's record. This is Rookie of the Year. The best player of the rookie class. If it wasn't for Bogut and the addition of John Salmons, the Bucks wouldn't be in the position they're in.

This really should only be a 2 player race. My choice for ROY is Evans, but I wouldn't have a problem with Curry winning the award either. Co-ROY, I wouldn't mind. But if Jennings were to win it... ugh
smh.gif

theres more to playing pg then shooting. correct?  

Because?
because he runs that offense and gets his guys shots. they are in playoffs and without him they wouldnt be.
He gets points in my book for being a leader not just a statistics man.
I wouldnt be mad at Curry or Reke tho. Im just sayin who I like and why

Ridnour runs that team just as well, though. I don't think BJ is the difference maker.

37% shooting isn't that bothersome, taking 15 shots a game when you shoot that bad, is.

I'd give it to Tyreke. I still don't know if how he plays is ever going to lead to long term winning, though.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

because he runs that offense and gets his guys shots. they are in playoffs and without him they wouldnt be.

ROTY is mostly statistical though.  It doesn't really incorporate the team success or how well he runs the team and intangibles like the MVP would do.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Yeah, there's more to a point guard than shooting, but 37% is not very good at all.

You're using that "well they're in the playoffs" argument. Yes, he's part of the reason why the Bucks are there, but he's not the main reason why. It's Andrew Bogut, IMO.

You say Brandon Jennings is a leader so he gets points for that in your book. Well, Tyreke Evans is the leader of the Kings. So he gets points in my book.

Monta Ellis is no leader. He's not the leader that he thinks he is. In the spoiler is an excerpt talking about how his teammates follow Curry. He is their leader. So he gets points in my book, as well.

Spoiler [+]
[h3]'Curry's guys'[/h3]
On the team's five-game road trip through the Southeast last month, Curry's teammates flocked to him as Ellis stayed in Oakland with a strained lower back. On the four-game road trip from Toronto to Los Angeles this month, the Warriors played some of their best basketball with Curry as the obvious leader and Ellis in Oakland with the flu.

Coach Don Nelson even calls the young players "Curry's guys."

Still, Curry on Tuesday said of he and Ellis, "our relationship has had steady growth. We've gotten to know each other and gotten comfortable playing with each other on the floor. We've figured out what it's going to take to be effective if we're on the court at the same time.

"He's talking to me a lot more. We've come a long way since that first day."

There might be a long way left to go. Curry has a magnetic personality, and Ellis sits in the corner of the locker room, slow to engage teammates other than Corey Maggette.

It remains to be seen if Ellis' teammates and coaches can draw out his personality.

"He has a lot of experience and knows what it takes to be a playoff team, so I think he could be more vocal and share that wisdom with the younger guys," Curry said.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/04/14/SPUP1CUB5Q.DTL#ixzz0lBkSDd00
You want to talk about what point guards do, like controlling the pace of the game and getting teammates shots? Steph Curry does it better IMO. This kid keeps his teammates involved and he'll sprinkle in 20+ points (since Jan
laugh.gif
).

Well, considering that Currry and Evans average more assists as rookies, I am not so sure about Jennings being the best at running the offense and getting his guys shots. I would give that title to the rookie that replaced CP3 when he was injured on the Hornets honestly.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

I still don't know if how he plays is ever going to lead to long term winning, though.

I think Reke is gonna  get his shot 1st then pass 2nd. Theyll have to build around him basically with all role players  in order to win consistently and I dont see that out west

I completely forgot about Collison. Not that he should get ROTY but just haven't heard his name since CP3 came back.

That avy of Tmac kicking the ball into the stands gets me every time
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JumpmanFromDaBay

Originally Posted by tSamShoX

Why are dudes still playing the "If Curry played the whole season...." game? #%%% is stupid and pointless. Having said that, I want Tyreke to win it BUT I WOULD UNDERSTAND if there was CO-ROY'S....

u mad?
laugh.gif
jkjfi9.gif

I wonder how things would have turned out if Blake had played this year. Cant wait till next year though.

To me, the most impressive thing about Curry is that he flourished with Don Nelson as the head coach, a guy who usually stifles the growth of his young players (look at Randolph, Wright, O'Bryant). Not only did he win Nelson over, he's transformed into arguably the Warrior's best player. Yes, Monta scores more, but peep his efficiency - dude is hoisting the rock almost every time he gets it.

I've been saying this for 10 years now.

When speaking on inviduals...merely getting to the playoffs is an EXTREMELY overrated "accomplishment".

Also...I read an article today that said out of the votes received so far, like 17 1st place votes went to Reke, 6 to Curry, 1 to BJ.

Its definitely should go with Reke

Been consistent since the beginning at the season until the end

Back
Top Bottom