THE OFFICIAL University of Tennessee(2) v.s University of Memphis(1) post!!!!

GoVols just ignore ZoDogg. I'm still disappointed the Tigers lost, but one loss didn't break the whole season for the U of M. Seriously it's justone loss. We have to take it and move on. Congrats to your Vols on a great finish. Maybe if we played better defense we could have won.

Originally Posted by OoPrinceOfFreshoO

Makes me mad because Calapari should picked up Prince because he graduated the same year as I did from a local memphis high school.
Did you go to W.S.?
I went there too...but I graduated in 99.

And don't you know the story behind Prince and Memphis?
JP's dad was an asst. coach under Larry Finch. He really doesn't like the university of Memphis after how they treated Coach Finch when they let him goafter all he had done with the school. I doubt that JP would have even signed with Memphis...but...the last scholarship available that year was between CDR andPrince, and CDR made his decision early, so Cal gave it to him. I think it worked out for the best.

Originally Posted by TrillipinoTrapstar

GoVols just ignore ZoDogg. I'm still disappointed the Tigers lost, but one loss didn't break the whole season for the U of M. Seriously it's just one loss. We have to take it and move on. Congrats to your Vols on a great finish. Maybe if we played better defense we could have won.

Your defense on Lofton was as good as I have seen anyone do against him. Granted he has been kind of off this season, but he has been on fire the last 7games.

The game honestly isn't that big of a deal for either teams. For you guys, you will drop to #3 and still be a #1 seed in the tournament and have a goodchance of going to the final 4. For us, we will move to #1 BUT we could easily lose Tuesday to Vanderbilt. I am just afraid we focused so much on Memphis wewill blow it against Vandy.

Originally Posted by GoVols234

Your defense on Lofton was as good as I have seen anyone do against him. Granted he has been kind of off this season, but he has been on fire the last 7 games.

The game honestly isn't that big of a deal for either teams. For you guys, you will drop to #3 and still be a #1 seed in the tournament and have a good chance of going to the final 4. For us, we will move to #1 BUT we could easily lose Tuesday to Vanderbilt. I am just afraid we focused so much on Memphis we will blow it against Vandy.

After last year's embarrassment they better have stuck on Lofton. He murdered them last year.

Who does TN have left on the schedule? The Vandy game will be tough...any other good matchups before the SEC tourny?

The Tigers shouldn't lose another game...playing in C-USA doesn't give them much competition.

We play Vandy on Tuesday which is a possible loss. We also have Kentucky at home which I expect a definite win and then we have Florida on the road. Floridawill be tough too because they are young and play the same style as us.

Originally Posted by GoVols234

We play Vandy on Tuesday which is a possible loss. We also have Kentucky at home which I expect a definite win and then we have Florida on the road. Florida will be tough too because they are young and play the same style as us.
You shouldn't overlook Kentucky. The've been playing well lately and you already lost to them once.
And they have the power of Ashley Judd on their side.

For some reason, I got REALLY bad sick last night, so that's why I stopped posting. I was laying on the couch with our son when my wife got home, and shetook my temperature: 101.2.
sick.gif
ohwell.gif
I guess I REALLY can't stomach a Volunteer victory.
embarassed.gif

Woke up this morning, and I feel perfectly fine.
laugh.gif

So about the game...

- Bruce Pearl outcoached Calipari (sp?), and he outcoached him BAD. If sporting events were more about the coaches effectiveness at their job, this would havebeen a Volunteer blowout. Pearl kept his team poised (instead of Memphis' many panic plays), and he kept them in the paint... on offense AND defense. AllMemphis wanted to do on offense was spread the perimeter, and on defense, guard the perimeter.

- Also about Calipari: he BETTER figure out that free throws are free points. I've been watching him for years, and he has NEVER had good free throwshooting team. If any reporters last night asked him to comment on their 8-19 free throw shooting, and he honestly looked at any reporter in the eye and toldthem that he still doesn't think free throws are that big of a deal, then he is clearly delusional.

They are FREE... POINTS.

And yes, the free throw shooting lies SQUARELY on his shoulders. I know some of you want to respond with 'But the players shoot them, not the coach.Isn't poor free throw shooting the players' fault?' Yes, normally. But in the same way that parents are responsible for raising their kids, in thesame way people would look at the parents of a household raising 4 delinquent kids all under the age of 14, this free throw deal is John's fault. I'veseen him downplay the importance of free throws on team after team, and I've seen him downplay them as a Memphis coach.

Get your head right, dude.

- Once again, Lofton forces things. I saw him take about 4 shots last night that I had no problem with. When you're 1-11, you're having a bad night.They're guarding you right or you're just not feeling it tonight or something, but you're not going to get your numbers back up by forcing things.

- Whoever it was that scored with 29 seconds left for the Vols... that was a MAN'S bucket. Dude got hit at LEAST twice, once right in the face, and he justdropped it RIGHT in.

- (and this comes back to Calipari again) Stop with the 3s. You started out 7-11 from the perimeter, then went 1-13 (or something) for the rest of the game.Threes are not supposed to be the ENTIRE arsenal you bring to the table. Rose was the only person concerned with a mid-range game, and damn near NO ONE wasconcerned with being any sort of post presence.

That was a very good game. Tennessee just had a little more than Memphis did. Can't wait for March Madness... UCLA ALL THE WAY!

- Bruce Pearl outcoached Calipari (sp?), and he outcoached him BAD

Calipari always gets out coached...Its just that a lot of the time, his team is good enough to make up for his coaching deficiencies...

Memphis fell in love w/ the 3....early success is a gift and a curse.....One one hand, you're hitting now.....But on the other hand.....Reality will set ineventually and the shots will stop falling...But you continue to pull b/c you were hitting earlier.....

Bruce Pearl knew this....That why he wasn't worried about the early 3pt barrage....

Chris Lofton = Clamp City

But he came through w/ those free throws

Once those threes stopped falling for the Tigers they should have gone inside to Dorsey and Dozier more, but they still tried to play longball.
The Vols really didn't have anyone to cover Dorsey, I wondered why he didn't get more looks.

Dang it, I forgot one other little tidbit in my summary of last night's game.

- Bruce Pearl wants Erin Andrews. Bad.
laugh.gif

They have a love child together in less than a year.

Book it.

GoVols after your comment about memphis I honestly think you've never been to memphis and are just talikng crap.... KNoxville has NOTHING but a school...That's all... But off you and your ignorance.

Tennessee played great but Memphis will go much further than Tennesee come March.

Oh, and I have not heard the word memphrica in YEARS! Dunno where and who you guys chill with in memphis lol

I guess people that don't follow UT basketball do not realize that Lofton is not the focal point of our team. He is a great shooter but he isn't oursuperstar by any means. He had an off night, but it wasn't like he was a superstar that "didn't show up". If anything, our two best playersare Tyler Smith and Jajuan Smith. Lofton is our senior leader and will go down as one of the best shooters in college basketball history, but we do not rely onhim and that has been apparent all season long.

The thing that I saw that really changed the game was that Pearl switched to a zone about 6 minutes into the game. This was during the streak where Memphis hitthose 7 threes, so it was as if he was daring Memphis to keep making them. It was a ballsy move, but it ended up working. I am still wondering why Caliparididn't make any changes once he saw what was happening. Memphis jacking up threes aloud us to get the rebound and get fast break points and allow us tokeep in the game.

I don't know that Pearl ever really outcoaches somebody, even Cal... he has a system, and when his players buy into it, it can be dangerous (if shots arefalling).. but i don't see him making a ton of game to game adjustments, and they didn't even really send Memphis to the line as much as I figured theywould given the Tigers patheticness from the line.(can't believe i'm not getting a spell check line under that work i just used)

I don't know that Pearl ever really outcoaches somebody, even Cal... he has a system, and when his players buy into it, it can be dangerous (if shots are falling).. but i don't see him making a ton of game to game adjustments, and they didn't even really send Memphis to the line as much as I figured they would given the Tigers patheticness from the line.(can't believe i'm not getting a spell check line under that work i just used)

I agree, him and Cal are pretty much the same.

And Memphis isn't gona change what they do because shots didn't start to fall,

They attack, kick out, take a 3 if it's there.......they're fine....this game didn't tell us anything we didn't already know.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

I don't know that Pearl ever really outcoaches somebody, even Cal... he has a system, and when his players buy into it, it can be dangerous (if shots are falling).. but i don't see him making a ton of game to game adjustments, and they didn't even really send Memphis to the line as much as I figured they would given the Tigers patheticness from the line.(can't believe i'm not getting a spell check line under that work i just used)

Yup - anybody that's watched both teams this year could not have been surprised by this outcome, nor would a memphis win by about the same margin besurprising either... they're very similar squads in many ways. Both very talented, too... but i think both are vulnerable to being beat by lesser teams attimes because of their "systems", which is why i don't like either all that much to win the title this year.

laugh.gif
at arguing which city is better . .

i guess i'll toss two cents in since i'm in the middle of both of y'all ( murfreesboro / nashville ) & been to both.

whoever said the city of knoxville has nothing but a school. . is absolutely right.
. . nothing worthy outside of the college / strip.

and memphis is dirty as hell . . but they got more s to do.

so nashville takes this one
laugh.gif

and for the game . . i missed it :/ . . i caught a few plays at the sushi joint we was at.
only one i remember is the 6 points in less than a minute.

It was obvious in my mind that Pearl outcoached Calipari. Read my previous post...he switched to a 2-3 zone while Memphis was DRILLING every 3 they took. Thisentices Memphis to shoot even more 3s and he was daring them to make them. Once they started missing, Calipari made no changes and did not get the ball downlow (which would have won them the game). Calipari's lack of adjusting to the zone allowed us to get tons of fast break points and was really the gamechanger. If that isn't outcoaching then I don't know what is.

and did not get the ball down low (which would have won them the game).
To who though? Dozier?

Memphis is just what they are, what you see is what you get. And they are VERY good at it.

Anoterh very good team beat them...

Memphis can win the National Title if things are clicking or they could lose in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8.

I'd say both are 'system' teams, that are very good...and matchups that come about are gona decide how far they get..

Both are national title contenders.

Originally Posted by allen3xis

and did not get the ball down low (which would have won them the game).
To who though? Dozier?

Memphis is just what they are, what you see is what you get. And they are VERY good at it.

Anoterh very good team beat them...

Memphis can win the National Title if things are clicking or they could lose in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8.

I'd say both are 'system' teams, that are very good...and matchups that come about are gona decide how far they get..

Both are national title contenders.

This is a great post. And as a basketball fan in general, I'm glad to see Tyler Smith was the one to beat us if it was anyone.

By the way Lofton got exposed tonight, truth. And I'm gonna kill the next person that blames Dorsey for trying to grab that rebound. It shouldn'thave even been a rebound, EASY EASY bucket for Dozier .. but it's all in the past now. I despise Tennessee but I wish them the best come March and realizewe got beat by a VERY good team.

Back
Top Bottom