The Old PlayStation Thread | *NEW THREAD IS UP*

This is where it get's a little deeper.

She wasn't there to hear Joel out. He was basically a symbol for her "hate, rage and anger". Joel represented the ending of her joy, her time of innocence. Her killing Joel brought her absolutely no satisfaction. Quite the opposite, she lost the love of her life (like Ellie with Dina) being detached full of hate and consumed with finding Joel. When she actually get's her revenge, it does nothing for her. It doesn't bring her father back, it doesn't get her closer to her ex-boyfriend who she still loves, it doesn't maker her anymore fulfilled. She completely lost in her hate. Its only when she encounters the kids that she finds a purpose. Ala Joel/Ellie (lots of little call backs here)

Those are almost the same words Druckmann said...

0A45E87C-15B1-4573-982A-B8B03556805B.gif

:lol: I’m not Neil. I’ve been saying my entire career (and in many previous posts on NT) that because this is such an interactive medium that you never want the player to walk away and forget about the experience. If they played through the whole game you want them to take away something.

Emotional beats, an amazing sequence, a cool Easter egg, fun gameplay, lingering questions, love or hate for what you did. For a AAA studio it’s hundreds of people, thousands of man hours, hundreds of millions of dollars, years off your life, and individual contributions of pouring your heart and soul into the project. If the end result is forgettable or someone says “yeah it was alright” then that’s just the worst.

I think for any creative in any medium, not being able to make an impact on your players/audience is soul crushing when devoting yourself to a project. So good or bad I’m happy people are feeling something about the experience.

Yeah, I can see your argument. I mean, I still gotta side with Ellie because it feels more like 'her' innocent stage wraps in a more genuine way that causes her outrage. Complicated subject matter, the parallels could make the more charismatic character seem more likable.

This is where it get's a little deeper.

She wasn't there to hear Joel out. He was basically a symbol for her "hate, rage and anger". Joel represented the ending of her joy, her time of innocence. Her killing Joel brought her absolutely no satisfaction. Quite the opposite, she lost the love of her life (like Ellie with Dina) being detached full of hate and consumed with finding Joel. When she actually get's her revenge, it does nothing for her. It doesn't bring her father back, it doesn't get her closer to her ex-boyfriend who she still loves, it doesn't maker her anymore fulfilled. She completely lost in her hate. Its only when she encounters the kids that she finds a purpose. Ala Joel/Ellie (lots of little call backs here)

You’re dead on with this. It brought her nothing but pain. Abby lost MORE than Ellie. Not only did she lose her father, she lost her friends and military brothers-in arms, she lost her place in the world with the fireflies being (almost) eradicated, she lost out on the cure which was what the entire Salt Lake outpost was working towards, she lost the love of her life (even if Owen is a Dbag), she lost her dog, then she loses her place in the world AGAIN when she turns against the WLF.

I want you to think about the 3 days that Abby had. Go ahead and replay In your head what happened those three consecutive days. Out of all that she went through, THREE TIMES she gives up on the cycle of violence.

In the past she agrees that Ellie didn’t need to die and was a bystander and let’s her live after killing Joel. Then she gives up on the WLF (Which is basically her purpose in life) to help Yara and Lev after Owen has his own crisis of faith with the WLF. Then after all the **** that happened to her in those three days and with everyone she knows being dead, she still understands that it’s better to let Dina and Ellie live. She sees that she has to be the light in the darkness for these kids who were raised as fanatical child soldiers. Even at the end of the game she’s not fighting for herself, she’s fighting for Lev.

There is a way bigger discussion about the cycles of violence and how it’s passed on through generations, the sins of the father, etc. But Ellie knew what Joel did and Ellie wanted to try to forgive Joel but she just couldn’t let his death go unpunished. Even though deep down she knew he committed unspeakable sins.

Just remember, after murdering the fireflies and Abby’s dad, Joel kills Ellie’s adopted mother, Marlene, in cold blood. Then he continually lies to the one person he loves the most. Why? Because he was selfish.

Ellie was able to rationalize all the killing because she was selfish too. And after getting to the precipice of finally getting what she thought was going to be closure, she realized it would only bring more pain. If only she would have realized it earlier but she was so blinded by her selfish rage. It heavily mimics Joel and how ruthless he became during TLOU1 because he had another daughter (in Ellie) to fill the void that Sarah left behind and he couldn’t stomach losing another child. The large difference is that Ellie loses everything because of it whereas it gained Joel three “good“ years with Ellie. But you have to ask yourself was it really three good years when you’re living a lie every day?

Here’s my review of the last of us part 2. This is coming from someone who considered his favorite game of all time TLoU1.

the gameplay is great. Same as the first one but more polished. The amount of details, level design, etc from a gameplay point of view is something I really enjoyed.

a small detail I liked was when random enemies have names and how detailed the upgrade work bench is.

now for what everyone is complaining about.
I think Naughty Dog doesn’t realize why so many fans, including myself loved the first one.

It wasn’t for the story or the theme of the story. We get that the first one was about lost and learning to move on from it. But that’s not what made me fall in love with the game. It was Joel and Ellie. These 2 characters ARE the game. When you think of the last of us 1, you don’t think about the theme of the story or whatever life message It was trying to convey.
You think about Joel and Ellie and their relationship. The small interactions between them. The fruition of Joel being like a father towards her, etc.

and that’s where I feel like tlou2 completely failed. Niel and the writers didn’t know what made TLoU1 so great. I feel like they thought the fans loved the story and the theme of the story (which fans did, but it’s not the main reason why fans loved tlou1). Naughty Dog got caught up so much in trying to teach people the lesson of the “cycle of revenge” because they thought that’s what fans wanted.

I get what Naughty Dog was trying to do. They tried to make us care for Abby and her crew. Even put Lev and Abby together to bond to make an imitation of what Joel and Ellie were in the first game.

the thing is, I just didn’t care for those characters. Fans played a full first game with Joel and Ellie. Those are the characters we care for. Not some characters that were forced to play. It felt like a chore playing as Abby because I simply didn’t care for her.

you know it’s bad when the best parts of the game are Ellie’s flashbacks with Joel.

Also, Joel and Tommy were so dumbed down it’s ridiculous. Joel and Tommy are supposed to be extremely street smart given their past and in this game they’re portrayed as idiots. Joel, the guy who never trusts any stranger, the guy who killed Marlene in the end of the first game to cut off loose ends, the guy who always has an exit plan and is mentally aware of his situation.... dies but a bunch of strangers with a golf club.... like wtf???????

The Last of Us was an accidental masterpiece. Naughty Dog completely dropped the ball with part 2 because they didn’t know what made the first one so great.

overall, I give the game a 6.5/10

Reply in the quote. Only read if you have finished the game.

Appreciate the post. I 100% hear where your coming from and respect your point of view so I wanted to give you some insight on a few points into the thought process.

now for what everyone is complaining about.
I think Naughty Dog doesn’t realize why so many fans, including myself loved the first one.

When you think of the last of us 1, you don’t think about the theme of the story or whatever life message It was trying to convey.
You think about Joel and Ellie and their relationship. The small interactions between them. The fruition of Joel being like a father towards her, etc.

This is where we have a fundamental disagreement. I love the first game because of the larger existential questions that were raised by what Joel did. I also loved it because Ellie was a really great character to see in games. I absolutely loved it for the JOURNEY. Traveling across the country with a very different companion. However, I never loved the game for Joel and Ellie’s relationship because when looking at it the whole thing is built on a lie.

It’s understood that people enjoyed the father daughter relationship in the game and many people adore it for that reason. That’s why those flashback sequences exist.

Many fans look at Joel as some kind of hero and adoring father figure. He was never meant to be. He was a morally grey character who generally was a terrible human being but had some very redeeming qualities. I’m sure we disagree about what I just wrote but I can assure you the studio understood why you loved the first one.

And you still have the first one. Those moments you loved still are there and exist. P2 was never created to make the same game again. It’s completely understandable that not having the cornerstone of what made you love the first game so much pisses you off. It’s just not the game we wanted to make which brings me to...

Naughty Dog got caught up so much in trying to teach people the lesson of the “cycle of revenge” because they thought that’s what fans wanted.

Absolutely not. No one had ever clamored for a TLOU game to address the cycle of violence. This was not something that was made to satisfy a fan urge for anything like that. It was made because this is the story Neil and the studio wanted to tell, not that fans wanted. And you can knock it for not being what you wanted but we didn’t make this game with this narrative because we thought that was what fans wanted.

The Last of Us was an accidental masterpiece.

Given how many people took to Joel as a hero and not as an anti-hero I can agree. It was incorrectly measured how the fandom would take to Joel. The result wasn’t a game you wanted and I’m sorry for that. It was however, the story we wanted to tell. It’s not a love letter to the fans. Where I disagree with you is that P2 very much is still about Joel and Ellie's relationship. In fact, everything that happens on both sides has direct correlation back to Joel and subsequently his relationship with Ellie and how that affects her actions. Joel influences the story from the opening frame of the game to its last. It’s just not an influence of love as was the theme of the first game, it’s an influence of hate which is the central theme of this game.

Reply in the quote. Only read if you have finished the game.

appreciate the response. Just some thoughts:

sure Joel lied to Ellie, but if I remember correctly in the first game, there was a note or tape recording stating that the success for a vaccine wasn’t even 100%? So they were pretty much taking a gamble on killing Ellie? It makes me wonder why this was never mentioned in part 2 as I feel this is critical information. Also, did Joel really murder Abby’s dad when he was the one coming at Joel with a knife? I don’t think Abby’s father (or the fireflies) are innocent at all. For one, they put a little girl to sleep and planned on killing her without her consent :lol:

If that’s the case, then Joel relationship with Ellie is based off a white lie. A lie that was completely justified imo.

Also I wish someone in the game would’ve stated that the world is too broken to go back to normal, even with a vaccines. If you look at both games, the violence is mostly humans against other humans. Not against the infected.

regardless, I appreciate your response and your hard work. Despite not enjoying the story, I still had fun with the game itself.

:lol: I’m not Neil. I’ve been saying my entire career (and in many previous posts on NT) that because this is such an interactive medium that you never want the player to walk away and forget about the experience. If they played through the whole game you want them to take away something.

Emotional beats, an amazing sequence, a cool Easter egg, fun gameplay, lingering questions, love or hate for what you did. For a AAA studio it’s hundreds of people, thousands of man hours, hundreds of millions of dollars, years off your life, and individual contributions of pouring your heart and soul into the project. If the end result is forgettable or someone says “yeah it was alright” then that’s just the worst.

I think for any creative in any medium, not being able to make an impact on your players/audience is soul crushing when devoting yourself to a project. So good or bad I’m happy people are feeling something about the experience.
I know you're not Neil. I just like posting that gif. And you're correct. I loved the themes in the game. **** was flames. Are y'all taking a break and making something else before Part 3?

I have never skipped a PlayStation launch since PS1. When PS1 launched, I had to wait a few weeks for Ma Dukes to chip in after I saved up half.

But this black PS5 is so much more appealing than the white, I may be able to wait...

Wait motivation is as follows:

1st: GT7 has not be announced as a launch title. Yeah, I know... waiting for this could get extreme.... I'm really just looking forward to competitive GT in VR for my race rig.
2nd: 825GB SSD
3rd: color

We shall see....

Damn, that's a beautiful piece of tech............ :nthat:

Always wild to me, and definitely not judging, do your thing bro bro, but wild when I hear people talk about waiting because of how the system looks and waiting for another to come out in a different color. I mean I can see it with shoes lol, but a system, meh, still plays the same? idc what it looks like.

Although, my entertainment system and consoles are all black, so replacing a black ps4 with a black ps5 would be a clean swivel. But white is fine too. I'm not waiting lol. Not judging you tho

That's just me making a guess. If they want to they could.

Na man this series is done. Naughty Dog gotta just let this one die out and pray they come correct with their next game.

Even if tlou2 did numbers in sales, this is prob their first big fail when it comes to the fans.

tlou2 is pretty much a meme now on the internet.

Na man this series is done. Naughty Dog gotta just let this one die out and pray they come correct with their next game.

Even if tlou2 did numbers in sales, this is prob their first big fail when it comes to the fans.

tlou2 is pretty much a meme now on the internet.

I still think a small group like you and HYFR have actual beefs while others are just mad cause Ellie is gay and the first major spoiler.

I still think a small group like you and HYFR have actual beefs while others are just mad cause Ellie is gay and the first major spoiler.

It’s not a small group lol. Just look at YouTube, the comments, and even the last of us’s Instagram page comments.

if you enjoyed the game it’s cool. I’m not here to change anyone’s opinion. Like I said, I enjoyed the game in terms of gameplay. The story is what I have an issue with.

Started Days Gone last night
Game is solid so far and it seems like everything people complained about has been patched
the thing that is/was hella irritating to me, that I just HAD to get over, is that the screen goes black for a few seconds before and after a cinematic plays, kinda kills the immersion for me, especially most games(if not all) transition flawlessly between gameplay and cinematics.

Acting is top notch in this game
Playing LOU1 now. Gonna play LOU2 next then days gone after. Gonna be zombied out lol

Go was IT back in the day.

Could've done lou1 during lockdown though.
But enjoy.. Sounds like a stretch.
Still working from home in lockdown here. Didn't realize 2 was dropping on Friday til like a week ago lol. Been meaning to replay 1, so figured I'd jump right in and just carry over soon as I finish.

Still working from home in lockdown here. Didn't realize 2 was dropping on Friday til like a week ago lol. Been meaning to replay 1, so figured I'd jump right in and just carry over soon as I finish.
Good show.
It's em spoilers too. I mean why do folks paste a reveal as a YouTube thumbnail??

I haven't seen tears for an announcement since FFVII remake and Shenmue III.
Didn't think Demon's Souls would be the next one I see :lol:

You can tell who the hardcore fans are when they recognize the game seconds in.

Bring back mystical ninja starring goemon and I'll get in my feels too

It’s not a small group lol. Just look at YouTube, the comments, and even the last of us’s Instagram page comments.

if you enjoyed the game it’s cool. I’m not here to change anyone’s opinion. Like I said, I enjoyed the game in terms of gameplay. The story is what I have an issue with.
You never look at the YouTube comments! It’s crazy in there!

Back
Top Bottom