The only Dirk Nowitzki stopper in the history of NBA

don-nelson-drinking.jpg

2007 Playoffs: 20 ppg, 38% fg, 21% 3p

Don Nelson sped up the game so much by sending the double from the blindside. But that Mavericks team didn't have the perimeter shooting to make them pay or a true point guard to control the tempo. So what should Spoelstra do? Bosh and then Haslem or Anthony? Go under screens or trap and rotate?

don-nelson-drinking.jpg

2007 Playoffs: 20 ppg, 38% fg, 21% 3p

Don Nelson sped up the game so much by sending the double from the blindside. But that Mavericks team didn't have the perimeter shooting to make them pay or a true point guard to control the tempo. So what should Spoelstra do? Bosh and then Haslem or Anthony? Go under screens or trap and rotate?

I don't see why they don't put Haslem on him. He held Dirk (James Posey as well, even Fatoine Walker got in on it) to sub 40% shooting in the finals in 06.

Dirk has become an infinitely better passer than just 5 yrs ago, but I still think you should push up on him and force him to dribble, then run a defender from his blind side for the inevitable spin. When he turns it over, it's usually trying to make plays off the spin or on the move. If he's facing you, he'll pick you apart though.

Problem is, if you gamble and don't get a steal, the Mavs don't miss open jumpers, hell most of those dudes are knocking down contested jumpers like it's nothing.

I also like the idea of playing small lineups where you don't have a Joel ANthony, Big Z, Dampier on the floor for stretches because it forces everybody to have to defend, then you can go at Dirk on that end with a LeBron at the 4 or Bosh and iso, put him in pick and roll, whatever, just don'tlet him rest on that end.

I don't see why they don't put Haslem on him. He held Dirk (James Posey as well, even Fatoine Walker got in on it) to sub 40% shooting in the finals in 06.

Dirk has become an infinitely better passer than just 5 yrs ago, but I still think you should push up on him and force him to dribble, then run a defender from his blind side for the inevitable spin. When he turns it over, it's usually trying to make plays off the spin or on the move. If he's facing you, he'll pick you apart though.

Problem is, if you gamble and don't get a steal, the Mavs don't miss open jumpers, hell most of those dudes are knocking down contested jumpers like it's nothing.

I also like the idea of playing small lineups where you don't have a Joel ANthony, Big Z, Dampier on the floor for stretches because it forces everybody to have to defend, then you can go at Dirk on that end with a LeBron at the 4 or Bosh and iso, put him in pick and roll, whatever, just don'tlet him rest on that end.

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

This. The Man Is Argueably Theee Biggest Mismatch The Game Has Ever Seen.

As a 7 footer you HAVE to account for him all the way out to 27ft as a constant legitimate scoring threat.
I know you said arguably, but I give that nod to Prime Shaq.

As a 7 footer you HAVE to account for him all the way out to 27ft as a constant legitimate scoring threat.

Originally Posted by KenJi714

Lebron would get 3 fouls by the mid of second quarter if he were to guard Dirk . I think they will use Big Z on Dirk

BIG Z??? Are you out of your mind son?
roll.gif

Originally Posted by KenJi714

Lebron would get 3 fouls by the mid of second quarter if he were to guard Dirk . I think they will use Big Z on Dirk

BIG Z??? Are you out of your mind son?
roll.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Dirk isn't allowed to offensive foul and camp in the lane.
And I like Shaq, FYI.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Dirk isn't allowed to offensive foul and camp in the lane.
And I like Shaq, FYI.

Back
Top Bottom