The Performance Rights Act aka Death to Black Radio ???

Have/Do any of you follow proposed bills in Congress? Well there is a bill that just passed the judicial committee that proposes a tax to close copyright loopholes that allowed radio stations to earn money without compensating artist. As a result of the bill (if passed) it will cause radio stations to pay asignificant tax (for some stations upwards a Million dollars a month!!!). Of course it will hurt black radio the most because it is a smaller market to beginwith. Is this fair? Or just another underhanded way to stifle "our" voice?

By the way, the tax revenue would be split 50/50 by record labels and artist. Ie: $500 Million in tax revenue. 6 major record labels(5 of which are foreign and1 is domestic, I believe this is accurate) will get 250 mil a piece and the other 250 mil will be split between all of the artist (which range between themainstream artist all the way down to the drummer or background vocalist on the track; equally to more than 10,000 of artist that must split a 250 mil cut).This tax is supposed to help the artist, but it seems as if they are still getting screwed.

Thoughts? Discuss.

**EDIT** BTW, I posted this in music forum, but I thought it would be received better here because of the high traffic volume and social aspects of thread.

Eff the radio

Anyplace that plays Birthday Sex all hours of the day gets a
eyes.gif

Why do you want to not only save radio but black radio in particular??? What do you feel its good points are?

Originally Posted by RIPyzyz

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Eff the radio[/color]

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Anyplace that plays Birthday Sex all hours of the day gets a[/color]
eyes.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)].[/color]
preach.jpg

I HATE THAT SONG WITH A PASSION!!
ALONG WITH
DJ webstar: Dancin on Me
mad.gif
mad.gif

Its all over Radio One...its not just black radio. Kathy Hughes said a white station got sold in NY on Friday cuz they are already goin broke. Its sad, verysad. SMH

Ya'll think its bad now it will only get worse with this new bill. Say bye to hearing any new artists on the radio.

Originally Posted by shortydoowopp

Ya'll think its bad now it will only get worse with this new bill. Say bye to hearing any new artists on the radio.

do we really hear new artists or just artists on majors that the label pays to put on?

Originally Posted by shortydoowopp

All these new artists are trash anyways
grin.gif
grin.gif

What does this have to do with race again? I'm sure there's something, but I can't quite find it.

RIPyzyz wrote:
shortydoowopp wrote:

do we really hear new artists or just artists on majors that the label pays to put on?

I don't know what ya'll listen to but Steve Harvey and Michael Baisden stay playin stuff from people I've never heard. Steve put me onto NoelGourdin
pimp.gif
and Laura Izabor is getting alot of play on his show. BeforeCustomer popped off you could always catch Raheem Devaugh on Michael Baisden's show.

9e715ae3e8f048630afe4f24c8423cb2b43b890.jpg

oh and

I refuse to be a stereotype in your box
Never want to try to be somethin I'm not
I'm just a **** from the block, if you got it twist it
Stay blowin on green, if you got it twist it on up
DP's givin a ****
RBG'd up in some gangsta chucks
Throw yo fist up homie if you know what's up
All my comrades puttin in soldier work
We rollin dirty wit it
Fully dedicated
So real that the radio will never play it
But that's cool, the enemies supposed to hate it
Freedom ain't gonna come till we regulate it
That's why I'm in the dojo, not just for the video
Really do, we really got beef with the popo
Never know when they gonna put you in a choke hold
This is for you new ***** holdin for the radio

Turn off the radio
Turn off that bull

People's Radio?
Yo hang up, that's police

What's on the radio? Propaganda, mind control
And turnin it on is like puttin on a blind fold
Cause when you bringin it real you don't get rotation
Unless you take over the station
And yeah I know it's part of they plans
To make us think it's all about party and dance
And yo it might sound good when yo spittin you rap
But in reality don't nobody live like that
You wanna know what kinda **** I am
let me tell you bit the **** I'm not
I don't **** with the cops
Platinum don't me that it gotta be hot
I ain't gotta love it even if they play it a lot
You can hear it when you walk the streets
How many people they reach
How they use music to teach
A radio program ain't a figure of speech
Don't sleep, cause you could be a radio freq

"radio" as we know it ended when Clinton signed the broadcast communications bill (i think that's the official name - i'll have to look backat my notes) which unprivitized broadcast radio. This essentially gave Clear Channel the okay to buy up radio stations. That's why he hear the same songson the radio all the time. I hope this bill brings back a more specialized brand of radio...not cookie cutter stations that all play the same thing.

Black radio or not.

[h3][/h3]
The Performance Rights Act aka Death to Black Radio ???
smh.gif

[h3][/h3]
The Performance Rights Act aka Death to Black Independent/Indie Radio ???
Artist and labels are losing money, since people are not buying music like they used to.

They are trying to get paid.

Plus, radio has been dead for some time. This is just another nail in the coffin.

Back
Top Bottom